This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met Life telemarketers

So I have been getting calls every day from Met life wanting to give me an insurance quote 'But we're not selling you anything.'

I told them I wasn't interested and they get all huffy and rude and keep saying 'but, you don't know what we're calling for...... just a quote' So Today I asked her to take me off their list and she got snippy and rude and asked if I was on the do not call list and said that if I don't want calls then maybe I should sign up. At that point I just hung up on her cause she wasn't going to ever shut up. ( I generally try and say no thanks I'm not interested and then close the call with a bye like a nice normal convo.)

And I'm going to but we just recently got the land line and I haven't had much in the way of telemarketers yet so it's low on my priority list.

I do have a question for the many phone jockeys out there, If you call and the customer requests you take them off your calling list don't you have to do that even if they aren't on the do not call registry??
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

They still have to take you off the list, regardless of if you're on the DNC list or not. It could be considered harassment if they call you even after you expressed for them to stop and take you off the list and that can put them in some hot water. If you still keep getting snippy reps, calmly and politely ask to speak with a supervisor to take you off the list and tell the supervisor what happened.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Yeah, I've been getting telemarketers too. I just hang up on em. It's the only way to get them to STFU.

Comment

They have to take you off their list, but the law allows for "processing time" for them to take you out of their database. During this time they can still "accidentally" call your number. You're supposed to reiterate that you are on their DNC list and eventually it will take.

If you want to make money off of them, tho, keep a log of who called, from what number, from which company, and request their DNC rules. That puts them on notice that you're keeping track and are preparing to report them for violating the DNC laws, which is a couple hundred dollar fine per call. The exact rules are online at the national DNC web site. Last year a guy in my county ended up with a few thousand dollars from one company that wouldn't leave him alone.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I will never understand the telemarketer that yells at you in their attempt to sell you something

yea that always convinces me to buy from someone

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post
            Yeah, I've been getting telemarketers too. I just hang up on em. It's the only way to get them to STFU.
            Once I realize it's a sales call or a "we're a charity*" I hang up. I'm waiting for one of them to call back.

*I'd love to give money to charity, but until I have enough money to put a little into savings each week, not going to happen. Not even "$5" because you know if you donate "just $5" the calls will intensify.

Comment

Quoth SteveZim1017 View Post
              I will never understand the telemarketer that yells at you in their attempt to sell you something

yea that always convinces me to buy from someone
              You know all those infomercials where the "host" is shouting about how great the product is? They have to watch that on their breaks. That's why they start yelling. They've been brainwashed ... er ... told it will bring in the revenue.

Yeah, I really don't know why they yell. Totally turns me off.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                They have to take you off their list, but the law allows for "processing time" for them to take you out of their database.

and if it's an outsourcing company-they may have many lists and only take you off one.....
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BarbieGirl View Post
                  I do have a question for the many phone jockeys out there, If you call and the customer requests you take them off your calling list don't you have to do that even if they aren't on the do not call registry??
                  No, a telemarketer is NOT required by any law (US or any US state) to remove you from their lists if you tell them to. The only way to actually get your name struck and restricted by law is to register to the National Do Not Call registry (Public Law No. 108-10) as amended by the Do Not Call Improvement Act of 2007 (H.R Bill 3541.) Some companies may do so as a courtesy.

Telemarketers also have 31 days to comply, plus one call. If, after 31 days have passed, a telemarketer may call once, and only once, as an "oops." If they do so, you should tell them, after getting the name of the business and the city/state they are calling from (as well as the TN if possible) that you are noting the call pursuant to your rights under the Do Not Call legislation. If they contact you again, they are liable to the FCC, FTC, and you, for an amount no less than $500 per call. After each call, you should report the interaction to the FCC (through the do not call website) to have it on record.

Now, the caveats. The Do not call registry only applies to residential phones, not fax lines or business lines. Polling organizations, survey organizations, charities, and political organizations are exempt. Primary creditors and third party debt collectors are fully exempt, and is governed under 15 U.S.C. § 1692. Any company you make an inquiry to can, at their option, telemarket to you for up to 90 days without penalty. Any company you have an existing relationship with may telemarket to you up to 180 days after the termination of that relationship, which is defined as the last date of purchase, payment, delivery of product or service, or inquiry for service if you have purchased from them previously.

Comment

The really bad ones are the ones who call right back after you hang up. My dad will politely say we're not interested the first time and hang up. One person called three times right in a row and my dad just screamed into the phone and I don't blame him.
                    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Jack Doe View Post
                      No, a telemarketer is NOT required by any law (US or any US state) to remove you from their lists if you tell them to.
                      Did that change when the DNC came in to effect or something? Because they formerly did have to, or else it became harassment or something like that.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        Did that change when the DNC came in to effect or something? Because they formerly did have to, or else it became harassment or something like that.
                        Jack Doe has it wrong, but only on that one fact. According to the FCC Do Not Call Registry Fact Sheet (http://fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/tcpa.html):

Company-Specific Do-Not-Call Lists
                        Whether or not your home phone number or numbers are registered on the national Do-Not-Call list, the FCC requires a person or entity placing voice telephone solicitations to your home to maintain a record of your direct request to that caller not to receive future telephone solicitations from that person or entity. The calling company must honor your do-not-call request for five years. To prevent calls after five years, you will need to repeat your request to the company, and it must honor it for another five years (and so on). Your request should also stop calls from affiliated entities if you would reasonably expect them to be included, given the identification of the caller and the product being advertised. Unless your home phone number or numbers are registered on the national Do-Not-Call list, however, you must make a separate do-not-call request to each telemarketer from whom you do not wish to receive calls.

When you receive telephone solicitation calls, clearly state that you want to be added to the caller’s do-not-call list. You may want to keep a list of those persons or businesses that you have asked not to call you. Tax-exempt non-profit organizations are not required to keep do-not-call lists.

The ones I hate the most are the police/sheriff charity calls. I never want to say no on the off-chance that I may need their services in the near future and they hold a grudge.
                        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                          Jack Doe has it wrong, but only on that one fact. According to the FCC Do Not Call Registry Fact Sheet (http://fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/tcpa.html):
                          Thanks, I stand corrected and educated. I didn't know that the DNC registry modified that.

Comment

Here's how I do it- I pick up the phone, find it's a telemarketer, hang up right away. There's absolutely no reason to give a telemarketer any of your time.

Comment

Quoth Zippity Doo View Post
                              Here's how I do it- I pick up the phone, find it's a telemarketer, hang up right away. There's absolutely no reason to give a telemarketer any of your time.
                              That's usually my tactic too. That or I ask them to please hold for a short moment while I get a pen to write down necessary information then just leave the phone off the hook until they give up.
                              I know their calls are timed so I doubt a rep wants to slow their call rate down waiting for me.
                              And I've got aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall day. Muahahahahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X