Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only problem with the DNC list is that it does not immediately go into effect, and you'll still probably suffer telemarketer calls until that period of time has passed. I know they refresh their DNC list every so often and you have to re-sign up every time or they'll start calling you again.

I didn't even think about it or worry about it until more people started ditching landlines and just using cell phones, then telemarketers were getting ahold of people's cell numbers and that's when my whole family signed up.

I just re-signed up a month or so back, and I've only gotten a few calls.

The weirdest one was automated, and I picked up the phone about 3 or 4 rings in, I'd say. Anyway, I didn't even get to say "hello?" because the automated voice was just blabbing away and like, in the middle of a spiel! What the hell? LoL.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Well I just registered on the DNC list, I almost hope they call after the 31 days. I wouldn't mind some extra $$.
      It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

Quoth BarbieGirl View Post
        I do have a question for the many phone jockeys out there, If you call and the customer requests you take them off your calling list don't you have to do that even if they aren't on the do not call registry??
        To be honest, whilst they should, most people in sales call centres do not actually have access to be able to remove your number from a database, or to put you on a do not call list. I work doing admin for a telesales company and if we get a phonecall asking us to remove someone from our database we take their details and get one of the people with access to remove them from the database.
        "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
        Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
          I know they refresh their DNC list every so often and you have to re-sign up every time or they'll start calling you again.
          The Federal US DNC list doesn't need to be re-upped any more.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Well, that's a relief and a pain at the same time.

Someone is getting in trouble if the calls don't stop.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
              The weirdest one was automated, and I picked up the phone about 3 or 4 rings in, I'd say. Anyway, I didn't even get to say "hello?" because the automated voice was just blabbing away and like, in the middle of a spiel! What the hell? LoL.
              I thought robodiallers were illegal?

Actually, even if they are that's a stupid question...

Rapscallion

Comment

They are illlegal.

Many places that run call centers haven't the first clue about telemarketing laws. Reputable ones (ha) usually do, but we all know not every company is reputable.

You MUST tell that not to call. And you must request that your number be put on their do not call list. Saying "not interested", "get bent", or hanging up does not obligate them to stop calling.

Once the magic words "do not call me again" leaves your mouth, legally, they can't really call you again. I mean, that does not mean that they won't, just that they can't do it legally. You can also make them send you a copy of their do not call policy and written notice that you have been removed from same. Legally, they have to provide all that if you request it.

Comment

Quoth SteveZim1017 View Post
                  I will never understand the telemarketer that yells at you in their attempt to sell you something

yea that always convinces me to buy from someone
                  Someone else, of course.

(Assuming, for the sake of argument, the item/service they're pitching is something you actually want or need.)
                  No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

So don't hang up on them. Just say "excuse me for a minute" right in the middle of their spiel, place the receiver down somewhere and keep them hanging. Guaranteed they won't be hanging for long, because they have to keep their "talk time" down.

Comment

Quoth Jack Doe View Post
                      Now, the caveats. The Do not call registry only applies to residential phones, not fax lines or business lines. Polling organizations, survey organizations, charities, and political organizations are exempt.
                      I have come to loathe this bit of it, especially as an office worker, where it's quite rare for a day to go by without a robodialer trying to hit us up for something or other. I REALLY despise how political orgs can get around this (then again, guess who WROTE these laws?), they're some of the worst offenders. I've been on DNC for years now. Just as a side note -- if you get snailmail spam from credit card companies, that can be stopped, as well; I forget the name, but I believe I got the original link from the boards here.

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      I thought robodiallers were illegal?

Actually, even if they are that's a stupid question...
                      The only stupid question is the one that never gets asked ^_^

And yes, I believe they are. Doesn't stop too many, tho, just like how spam emails are illegal, and look how much good that does?

I like the "infinite hold time method, myself" -- I won't curse one out unless I get something ridiculous like 4 calls in 15 minutes from the same place AFTER I've told them Do Not Call. Telemarketers or not, they're still working stiffs like the rest of us
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X