Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I have zero faith in these people's intelligence (long and full of stupid)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Bandit View Post
    Can't wait for the new carriers next year.

B
    Hey, my contract's up next year! Do me a favour, if you remember, lemme know if you hear anything good about the new ones when they're finally here.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
      I point-blank asked if the onl-line feature could be blocked/removed/cancelled. He point-blank said no. Guess what I later found out can be blocked? And guess who gets a commission for every phone signed up with internet feature? Yeah, that's one way to piss me off.
      ...I'm a jerk... and my Beau works for a phone company, so I know very well what can and can't be blocked.... I had a similar experience with a phone company. We had gone though almost the whole process of getting the phone, it just wasn't activated or paid for.... It was not my normal phone choice but I wanted to try something new...I didn't want the inter-webs feature... I don't need that. So I asked the sales girl how I would go about blocking that, cause I know it can be done I just don't know how. She said "It can't be. I'd recommend getting the INTERNET pack just in case." with that sick sweet 'trust me' smile. I sighed shrugged my shoulders and said "Guess I don't need a new phone then. Don't want to get hit with stupid charges. Sorry for taking up so much of your time." and left. She looked particularly sad. Sucky of me perhaps... but really. dont lie to me.

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
      Heh, cell folks dread me cause I walk into a store and go "I want a PHONE. No e-mail, text crap, internet capabilites, etc, etc, etc, and it has to be able to survive world war 3 for 2 years."
      I agree. I want a BRICK when I buy phones. one of my standard questions is "If I dropped this down a flight of stairs and then drove over it with my car could I still send and receive calls?" Honestly I want a phone I can chuck though a window. And all I really need is my 400 min a month. I NEVER have gone over them... I think the most I used was 387 and that was when my G-ma was really sick.
      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
      -Red

Comment

I'm over the moon that Nokia have now introduced a "robust" phone model. It looks to be designed for the purpose from the inside out, too, since it is shock, dust and water resistant without looking much different from a normal model. It also has most of the features that people seem to expect from a "feature phone" these days, without being a "smartphone".

I still have two phones - an ancient basic-phone and a relatively new smartphone. The basic-phone does it's job without any fuss, though it does have some annoyances in the SMS interface (just try to delete a word quickly without deleting the whole message). The smartphone is a bit unstable but is actually very useful - even though I completely ignore a lot of the more miscellaneous features. I just consider myself lucky to have been able to avoid the "2 year contract" shenanigans.

Comment

I <3 Nokia for having simple, robust and rather cheap phones. The fact that almost all of them use the same kind of charger/adapter is a bonus. I really don't care about their overhyped (overpriced) E and N series.

But if you really want the basics of the basics, look into the Motofone F3. Phone calls, text messages, and that's it. No games, no photos, no bells and whistles. Pretty robust and with a good battery life too.
          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
            I'm over the moon that Nokia have now introduced a "robust" phone model.
            What model? I have a 5140i and it's fine, but someday it will die and then I'd like to have an idea what to look for.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
              What model? I have a 5140i and it's fine, but someday it will die and then I'd like to have an idea what to look for.
              This one. Or ask in a good shop.

Comment

They make a CDMA version of that? Looks interesting, in case I ever want to retire my old faithful 6256i. (I don't, right now, but that might change.)

Comment

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
                  Heh, cell folks dread me cause I walk into a store and go "I want a PHONE. No e-mail, text crap, internet capabilites, etc, etc, etc, and it has to be able to survive world war 3 for 2 years."
                  Heh. That's exactly how I was, about 4 years ago, when I got my current phone. It was primarily to be for emergencies (family or otherwise) and work (pizza driver), and that was it. Of course, there were fewer feature options back then, but except for an occasional "that would've been nice to have" situation, even the more limited options of the time were more than I needed.

After finishing the 2yr contract, I set up my phone as "pay as you go" since I don't have the pizza job (and haven't had any luck getting back into it, of late ), and have my account set up to automatically charge my CC for $25/mo so the account doesn't go inactive (with service fees for re-activation), which is a lot cheaper than the $40/mo I was paying on a formal account. Mind you, even that 25/mo is still overkill for my needs, but experiences of me and others with more conventional pre-paid providers left me kinda cold, so to speak.

(Just for the record, the company I'm using currently is, after buyouts, the one represented by the blue Death Star logo. I know a lot of people have problems with them, but except for occasionally flaky internet connectivity none of the services I have with them give me any problems.)
                  No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

ooo, will it read nonDRM ebooks with mobipocket or already have an equivalent program?
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Rogers or Fido? Oh wait, they're the same company.

Sadly WIND was shut down by the CRTC (foreign ownership rules apparantly also apply to debt), Public is talk/text only and Dave Wireless has no plans to launch announced.
                      Otaku

Comment

Working...
                      X