Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is that really the way to get a U-scan attendant's attention?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is that really the way to get a U-scan attendant's attention?

Leaving work today I was buying some Halloween candy at the self checkout and saw a couple of ladies frantically waving for the attendant. "YOO-HOO!!! HEY MS. GIRL!! HEY!" Followed by, in a somewhat snotty tone: OVER HEEERE!!!" Sheesh. All I could think was "thank God I'm not a cashier anymore", take my bag, and leave, wondering how that poor girl puts up with it all day long.

I'm sorry, if you cannot handle the self checkout, go to the normal line... People who cannot handle such a simple computer program... shouldnt.
    There Can Be Only One

Comment

Quoth Duncan MacLeod View Post
      I'm sorry, if you cannot handle the self checkout, go to the normal line... People who cannot handle such a simple computer program... shouldnt.
      To be fair, the SCLs aren't always models of perfect operation. I've even had one crap out on me mid-transaction, and I used to be a cashier myself (which presumably means I'm not a total idiot ).
      No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

Quoth Nohbody View Post
        To be fair, the SCLs aren't always models of perfect operation. I've even had one crap out on me mid-transaction, and I used to be a cashier myself (which presumably means I'm not a total idiot ).
        Yes but 9 times out of Ten when they do crap out they notify the clerk and ask you to wait patiently for the clerk to come over.

Comment

I get people who complain about "those self-checkouts" all the time, but because I'm too polite, I never say, "No one's forcing you to use them."

I did have someone come up to me at the express lane, when it wasn't busy in my line, with more than the "8 Items Or Less" limit, and comment, "I came to you because you're the only other person here."

I then look up and look down the row of registers to see my CW S. She's one of the best new cashiers we've gotten. Her light is on, as it has been for the last hour. I point this out to the man. He turns, sees her line, then turns back and says, "Well, she must have JUST TURNED her light on."

Seeing the guy was trying to put the blame on her, I confirm this without really confirming it. "She might have had her light blinking to call over a supervisor." Which is entirely possible.

Apart from that, the guy wasn't sucky.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Duncan MacLeod View Post
            I'm sorry, if you cannot handle the self checkout, go to the normal line...
            I saw a sign up at the local supermarket that annoyed me somewhat. "If you would prefer to have your groceries scanned, please let us know." I wanted to change the last part to "...go to a different register, dumbass!"
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

i heard about this prototype grocery store that when you put things into your cart or basket, they scan. then you don't even go to a register. you just walk about and it automatically gets charged to your card. it's suuuuuch a good idea.
              If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
              ^_^

Comment

I prefer the self checkouts because I prefer to bag my own items myself.

Trying to steer as far away from blanket judging as possible, we have some real winners at the local Wal-Marts around here, and too many times I've had cleaning chemicals mixed with my produce or meat. And I used to be a bagger at a grocery store, so it really hurts my head.

Or I'd have the misfortune of getting a cashier who thought I was The Hulk and would bag my stuff to the brim and the bags would be tearing, or the polar opposite....like I'm a little old lady and only putting 1 or 2 items in each bag, giving me too many bags to have to deal with.

I know how I like my stuff bagged, and if they rip or tear, it's my own damn fault. And since I've been using SCOs, I've never left anything behind.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Nohbody View Post
                  I went to Wal Mart the other day to get beer and benadryl (beer for me, benadryl for the wife). When I walked in, all 4 of the self checkouts were chiming "please wait while someone assists you..." 2 other lines were open, and the other 8 employees working were standing at the back of the main aisle discussing who knows what, but it wasn't a meeting as several mentions of local concerts, and new albums flew past as I wandered by. 5 minutes later, the 2 cashiers have lines to the back of the clothing aisle because they can't work fast enough. The same 4 people at the self checkouts were still there getting rather miffed, and the do nothing gang were still there, this time having an impromptu freestyle rap competition. It took me 30 minutes to get out of there. It's not always ineptitude of customers or bad equipment. :-)
                  Coworker: Distro of choice?
                  Me: Gentoo.
                  Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                    i heard about this prototype grocery store that when you put things into your cart or basket, they scan. then you don't even go to a register. you just walk about and it automatically gets charged to your card. it's suuuuuch a good idea.
                    Stop&Shop was doing something similar. You take a little scanner with you and scan your groceries when you put them in the cart & bag them. Then you hand the scanner to the cashier and pay.

I tried it when we were up at the paintball field, and I can't wait for them to bring it down here!
                    Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                      What about when people change their mind and dump their shit where it doesn't belong?
                      If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
                        Stop&Shop was doing something similar. You take a little scanner with you and scan your groceries when you put them in the cart & bag them. Then you hand the scanner to the cashier and pay.
                        The one across the street has that. I'm going to see if I can convince mom to try it out next time we have to make a big grocery run.

They also apparently work at the self-checkouts (you scan another barcode then proceed to pay as normal), but some people can't even figure that out. I always thought the scanner gizmos/SCOs need "you must be this smart to use".
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Yeah, but we'd need an objective measurement, because how many stories are here because the SCs thought they were smarter than everyone else?
                          Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post

I tried it when we were up at the paintball field, and I can't wait for them to bring it down here!
                            I think it's a great idea.

But I can't even begin to imagine the shrink as a direct result of letting people check out before they even get to the front of the store. What mechanic is in place to ensure that everything that's about to go out the door was actually scanned?

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've always wondered that. Some chains have scales in the bagging area, but I don't think S&S does. There's also the security gates, but I always thought that only high-risk/pricey items were actually tagged.
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                              X