This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport terminal loach

oh I hate these... hate them with a raging passion...

Just a precursor disclaimer - many of the loaches I have encountered at airports want to discuss politics - I have never have and never will have any interest in politics and refuse to listen or be part of any discussions of such. This post is not about politics at all - it is just the context.

Anyways, there i was at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Malaysia, in transit from Brisbane back home to Tokyo - I was tired (early start after a busy week - not tourism) and in no mood for any conversation. I was just sitting in the terminal, using the free Wi-fi they have at that airport and sipping from a bottle of water.

Anyways, loach came over and sat down next to me. After a short while, he started to make 'ahem' like noises - nowadays, I totally ignore these. These continued for a couple of minutes, so was not too annoying.

But if that were the only thing the loach did, then I would not be writing this now would I?

After a couple more minutes, I shut down my laptop and put it away and was writing some notes when the loach spoke - the first thing he said was:

'What do you think of Obama?'

I did not answer, he then waved his hand in front of me and repeated his question - it was then I made the mistake with loaches - I replied with...

'I don't' (remember, politics has no interest whatsoever to me)

the rest of the 'conversation' went like this:

Loach: 'But you gotta have an opinion'
    Me: 'I don't' (that is the truth, I don't have an opinion about anything to do with politics).
    Loach: 'want to know what I think?'
    Me: 'no'
    Loach: 'free speech says you have to' (with an expctant look on its face)
    Me: 'no, please leave me alone'
    Loach: 'so, you violatin' my rights to free speech?'
    Me: 'go away, now'
    Loach: 'I think that Obama is...'
    Me: 'GO AWAY, NOW!' - not quite yelling, but in a moderately projected teacher like voice.
    Loach: 'Fine, I thought you were cool'
    Me: 'Irrelevant, goodbye' and I went back to writing my notes.

This thing went to sevral other passengers, interestingly as most were Japanese, the language barrier stopped him in his tracks.

On the plane, thank oodness he was seated quite a distance from me, and the young lady next to him seemed to have put on her earphones VERY quickly.

I know I may seem rude, but I m like that when I am very tired and with a lot of more important things on my mind, and like I said, I have always refused to involve myself in any way with politics.

Ugh, what an asswipe. I can't stand people like that - you politely tell them to bugger off, and they ignore you, then get SOOOOO insulted when THEY escalate it. GAH
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Minute the guy started on about free speech I likely would have went "Really? In that case <insert various insults about him>."

He has to listen to it too, because if he doesn't he's violating your right of free speech.
      "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

Quoth Damien View Post
        Loach: 'so, you violatin' my rights to free speech?'
        Does this idiot realize that the US Constitution does not apply in a country that is not the US?

One of the best things I've ever heard is, "Yes, you have the right to free speech, but you also have right to keep it to yourself." This was in response to a sexist comment that someone made to me that got them written up for sexual harassment.

Quoth Damien View Post
        On the plane, thank oodness
        The Oods? Were you going to the Ood Sphere? Sorry, my mind wanders and makes odd connections sometimes.

Quoth Damien View Post
        I know I may seem rude, but I m like that when I am very tired and with a lot of more important things on my mind, and like I said, I have always refused to involve myself in any way with politics.
        That's not rude. He was being rude by not buggering off when you made it clear that you really didn't wish to talk. If you wanted to be rude, you would have told him to get stuffed!
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

the 'oods' are everywhere! lol

it's also interesting to note that i am not even American - so the Constitution has no bearing on me at all!

Oh, if I were any more tired, I would have told him more than to get stuffed.

Comment

Should have been like "No, the right of free speech doesn't mean I have to listen. It means you can go spout your verbal diahrrea to the wall. Not that you're allowed to use my ear as your mouth's toilet."

Comment

"I'm not part of the government. The First Amendment doesn't bind me in any way."
              The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Quoth Damien View Post

Anyways, there i was at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Malaysia, in transit from Brisbane back home to Tokyo - I was tired (early start after a busy week - not tourism) and in no mood for any conversation. I was just sitting in the terminal, using the free Wi-fi they have at that airport and sipping from a bottle of water.
                There's free wifi in a Malaysian airport but not JFK? Screw you american airports, I want to check my email damn it.

Anyway, it's common for people outside the U.S. to think they can use the first amendment from watching it on television. Guy obviously doesn't know what it is anyway and that it doesn't cover harrasment. Hell you could always claim you were using your first amendment rights to tell him to go away.
                How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
                  "I'm not part of the government. The First Amendment doesn't bind me in any way."
                  heck, I am not American either!

If he had continued, I would have happily reported him to the Malaysian police and airport security officers milling around

Comment

Quoth Damien View Post
                    'free speech says you have to'
                    What an idiot!! Free speech actually says you don't!

What part of "You have the right to remain silent" doesn't he understand?

And it's not even in America!
                    Last edited by protege; 11-04-2009, 02:49 PM. Reason: Quote tag repaired :)

Comment

[QUOTE=rageaholic;641296][QUOTE=Damien;641110]'free speech says you have to'

What an idiot!! Free speech actually says you don't!

What part of "You have the right to remain silent" doesn't he understand?

And it's not even in America!
                      Which is why the Miranda right doesn't extend to Malaysia either
                      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Meh, what an ass.

The second the hand went into personal space, I would have gone off on him.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          Meh, what an ass.

The second the hand went into personal space, I would have gone off on him.

^-.-^
                          Or, the hand would have come off.
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Damn...and I thought some of the people at the train station were bad At least they keep to themselves for the most part. But, every now and then, if I head down there to railfan, the idiots seem to follow me. Up until now, the only nutjob I'd seen, was when I went to photograph the ex-Penn Central parlor car in McKeesport. That is, across the street, a drunk was having an in-depth conversation with a fire hydrant

Usually, the downtown train station is pretty deserted. But, the last time I was down there, some tool literally followed me around, and wouldn't shut the hell up. Nothing really, just going on about various conspiracy theories. Then he started giving me crap about photographing trains was "illegal" and that he was going to "report" me. Told him to bugger off, and he started with the theories again. Tired of him, I put my camera back into its case, and told him that if he didn't go away...I'd throw his ass in front of the next train Never saw someone move that quickly in my life

I mean really, who exactly, was he going to "report" me to? As far as Amtrak and Norfolk Southern (whose freights also pass through the station) were concerned, they didn't care. As long as I didn't do anything stupid, like climbing on the equipment, or getting in the way of the crews, or straying into the "off limits" area, nobody cared. I could walk the platforms as much as I wanted. Also, there's nothing illegal about railfanning at all, unless you're *trespassing* (which I don't do--that's what telephoto and zoom lenses are for!) to get the photos! Now that *will* get you a citation and/or fines.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

One day at the shopping centre, I was waiting out the front of the supermarket for my mum, and this lady came over and sat down on the bench next to me. My little one started smiling at her and the lady was smiling back, here I am thinking 'how cute' and the lady turns to me and says.. 'Have you asked Jesus into your heart?'

Comment

Working...
                              X