This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup tantrum

I had to run to Micro Center this morning to make a return (part that was purchased and then I found I didn't need it). The service and returns desks are right next to each other; my return took a little extra time to be processed so I was able to overhear this:

From what I could gather, the customer's computer was so borked (apparently a recovery OS install failed) that they might need to do a factory restore. Which would mean that all user-installed applications, files et al would likely be trashed unless customer pays for a backup, or they have a backup already. The front-end service supervisor was on the phone trying to explain this fact of data life.

SC didn't have anything backed up and didn't want to pay for the service, yelling that "you guys should do it for free since you're the ones telling me this needs to be done!" (yes, I could hear him through the phone which FES was actually holding away from his ear). Any further attempts to explain met with the same litany.

When I finished up and left 7 minutes later he was still on the phone. I hope he eventually got through this guy's skull.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor
Working...
X