Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A class-action suit waiting to happen?

Today I took my friend and colleague Angelica on an excursion to the local Apple Store to get her "new" iPod looked at. Her old one died a spectacular death, and she bought a new 4th Gen iPod nano that had been languishing in our store's high-ticket lockup for about a year; Staples bought some via a third-party distributor for the Christmas season and we still had that one left, about $100 on clearance (current model is 5th gen).

Unfortunately, all that time in storage didn't treat it very kindly; the battery refused to hold a charge. It worked just fine while plugged into either a computer or wall/car charger, but the moment it was unplugged it shut down. She was bummed out about it and didn't know what to do, so being the Knight in Shining Armor that I am, I volunteered to take her to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store to get the problem resolved. I even went online and set up an appointment so we'd be right at the head of the line when we showed up.

(I should note that we didn't go down there JUST for this. I had been planning on picking up a copy of Snow Leopard anyway, and also needed to buy a special headphone adapter for the iPod shuffle we bought my mother for her birthday).

As usual, the Apple guys were awesome. After we explained the problem, they ran a couple quick tests and determined that the battery was indeed hosed, and the iPod Genius opened a nearby drawer, removed a new (presumably refurbished. I'm not sure because I'd wandered off to get the items I needed) iPod nano in the same color and handed it over (along with a bit of paperwork to fill out).

Angelica was thrilled to be walking out with a 100% functional iPod. On the other hand, while they had the headphone adapter in-stock, they were completely out of the 5-license packs of Snow Leopard. So Angelica got what she wanted, my mother got what she wanted, and for the effort I expended, I got bupkis.

But the thing I found really interesting was that when the iPod Genius punched in the serial number of the iPod Angelica had bought NEW, he told her there were only 16 days left on the warranty. Despite the fact that she'd only registered it (as new!) two days ago!

I remarked that while it was an older iPod, it didn't seem fair that the warranty was almost up already. He explained that due to the manner in which most of the iPod resellers acquire their goods that they then resell to retailers (he specifically mentioned Staples and Best Buy), the iPods are registered in the warranty database as sold on the date they were purchased by the reseller, NOT the date they are purchased by the end user. This is because these resellers apparently pay for them in cash as if THEY were the end-user, and therefore the warranty period starts immediately.

I've subsequently found out from my sales manager that Dell does the same thing, and that we (as a company) have been fighting with them ever since we started carrying Dell products.

Obviously, this isn't right. I see suck on both sides of the equation. First of all, the fact that some resellers do their bulk purchasing in a way that causes the warranty period to begin immediately. And second, Apple must know that these sorts of bulk purchases are intended to be resold, so why in the holy mother of fuck do they not make a note when they record the serial numbers that they aren't in the hands of end users yet?

Obviously, Angelica got lucky insofar as she still had 16 days left on the warranty, and so was able to walk out with a replacement iPod, but it could just as easily have been 16 days AFTER the warranty expired (good thing we didn't dilly-dally in getting this taken care of). I know that I would be pissed off beyond belief if I bought a product in good faith from a major retailer like Staples or Best Buy and have it fail, only to discover that because it sat on their shelf for several months the warranty had long ago expired.

What SHOULD happen is that any bulk sale to a reseller should be noted as such, and the warranty period should begin on the date of the final sale. I can't think of a logical reason why this doesn't already happen. After all, it's not like buying Apple products from a third-party is a recent phenomenon. Until the first Apple Store opened, ALL brick and mortar retail sales of Apple products were through a third party (whereas with Dell, they were direct-sales only until the last couple years. So I can sort of understand why the process may be fucked up for them).

Now, to be fair, the Apple guy did tell us that had the warranty been expired, there IS a resolution process, but it would have involved multiple calls to the Apple Care support center, faxing over the receipt, and "jumping through many hoops."

But the point is that shouldn't be necessary, and I can just see someone with a dead product having their claim denied, and that incident turning into a major class-action suit against Apple, the reseller/distributor, and the retailer.

Stupid, stupid, STUPID!

But at least Angelica was able to get her iPod replaced, which is a good thing.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

-----Nuff said!

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post

-----Nuff said!
      I have had my 1st Gen Nano for years now and it still works great, I only switched to a touch about a year ago. I still use the nano, just as a usb drive though.
      If it makes sense, it's not allowedâ„¢. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post

-----Nuff said!
        ? I have an ipod that is 3 years old, still chugging along faithfully ...
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post

Now, to be fair, the Apple guy did tell us that had the warranty been expired, there IS a resolution process, but it would have involved multiple calls to the Apple Care support center, faxing over the receipt, and "jumping through many hoops."
          And I know this process well, because I had to go through it when I went to get the extended warranty (which saved me almost a year later because I was having problems with the battery). SO was smart to have the receipt e-mailed to him and saved it because I was able to retrieve it and fax it in order to get the extended warranty.

Unfortunately, they don't extend warranties for replacement items, which I find sucks because then you're guaranteed to have to buy a new item once it does finally break.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Actually, most "regular" iPods (not counting the touch or shuffle) have easily replaceable batteries. The people vandalizing the ads are just idiots who were pissed that Apple wouldn't replace the battery 6 months after the warranty expired.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
              Actually, most "regular" iPods (not counting the touch or shuffle) have easily replaceable batteries. The people vandalizing the ads are just idiots who were pissed that Apple wouldn't replace the battery 6 months after the warranty expired.
              Read about it Dave. When they put this message on the ads this was BEFORE Apple addressed this problem. When they called Apple the rep told the guy that it would cost hundreds of dollars to have it serviced and that he'd just be better off blowing another 400 bucks and buying a whole new iPod. THAT is why he did this.

Soon after the word got around on the internet and all over the world THEN Apple did something about it.

Comment

I remember reading about it when it first happened. The fact of the matter is that even the very first iPods did have replaceable batteries. Now, the fact that Apple was charging almost the cost of a new iPod to change the battery (which in and of itself makes a lie of the "unreplaceable battery" statement) was retarded, but you should see the prices for out of warranty service for laptops at most stores (mine included). Out of warranty is still out of warranty. It doesn't justify committing vandalism.

EDIT: By the way, that's not directed towards you, ditchdj. I had the same thought at the time because 3rd party battery kits were available then, yet people seemed to think it was some sort of cardinal sin that Apple had the nerve to charge for out-of-warranty service, which is hardly unique to Apple or any other company.
                Last edited by Dave1982; 11-16-2009, 02:05 AM.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  The fact of the matter is that even the very first iPods did have replaceable batteries. Now, the fact that Apple was charging almost the cost of a new iPod to change the battery (which in and of itself makes a lie of the "unreplaceable battery" statement).
                  They weren't user replaceable (mentioning sending it in to Apple for the replacement makes the truth of the statement ). This is generally what people mean when they say "unreplaceable." More specifically, they should be saying "unremovable," but the general populous will use the terms interchangeably.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

They were if you could get your hands on a new battery... but that may have been a pretty big 'if'. Of course, you weren't *supposed* to do it yourself, but popping the case open with a screwdriver is so simple and virtually risk-free that an openable compartment would only be redundant and make the thing bulkier.

I'm surprised you'd get a dead battery in one only a year old, though. I have one that's over four years old, and though it won't do ten hours anymore it will do at least four, which is as long as I've tried lately. Of course, that's with the light off.
                    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                      popping the case open with a screwdriver
                      Aaaaaaaaaaaaand good-bye warranty, and any hope for future tech support, etc. They see it's been popped, you're getting turned away.

As for being slimmer, I had an mp3 player that was as good as the 1st gen iPods, when they first came out, and it had a switchable battery pack, and it was *smaller* too. So that argument holds little weight.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
                        -----Nuff said!
                        My shuffle's quite a bit older than that and still works like brand new.
                        "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                        - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Well yes, but of course if it's under warranty you get Apple to fix it.
                          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I had the hard drive go in my older iPod. All it did, was click when I'd attempt to turn it on. Two days out of warranty, and at the (Cr)Apple store, I was told that I'd be better off buying a new one. Buy a new one, to replace one that I'd been given as a gift, and possibly without the full warranty either. Pardon my French, but fuck that.

After some poking around the 'net, I found a nice FAQ (with photos!) on how to not only take the cover off, but how to remove the drive and replace it. Even better, is that it had the Toshiba (so much for Apple using only "their" parts!) part numbers--ordering a new drive would have been easy.

Or it *would* have been, had I chosen to do that. Instead, when I had the thing apart, I saw that the drive connector wasn't fastened. Probably bumped loose while in the car. Reattached that, powered the thing up, and all was good.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                              (so much for Apple using only "their" parts!)

Um....I don't know where you heard that, but Apple has never made anything entirely from scratch, nor have they or anyone credible made such a claim. They've always relied on outside suppliers for things like hard drives, CPUs, flash memory, etc.

Heck, I've always known that Toshiba was the supplier for iPod HDs; they're one of the biggest manufacturers of the 1.8 inch hard drives used in non-flash iPods.
                              Last edited by Dave1982; 11-19-2009, 05:00 AM.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                              X