This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
    Well yes, but of course if it's under warranty you get Apple to fix it.
    And my real point is, it's a battery, it shouldn't need warranty service to fix a battery. Maybe warranty to ship me a new one, but that's about it.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
    Um....I don't know where you heard that, but Apple has never made anything entirely from scratch, nor have they or anyone credible made such a claim.
    If you do not purchase upgrades or replacement parts from Apple or an Apple-Approved retailer, your warranty is void, and they won't do any service on your equipment. Anyone I know who's even so much as put new RAM in just gets told that it's the RAM and needs to be replaced with their specific stuff. So while Apple may not make it from scratch, they still charge a premium for "Apple-Approved" items.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Years ago I had an iBook, which I purchased from MacConnection. At the time of purchase, I also bought the cheapest possible RAM upgrade for it and had it installed. When the FireWire port died a month later, Apple replaced the motherboard for free. The third party RAM never ever came up as an issue. Unless you break something in the process of installing it, they won't hassle you about it.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
        If you do not purchase upgrades or replacement parts from Apple or an Apple-Approved retailer, your warranty is void, and they won't do any service on your equipment. Anyone I know who's even so much as put new RAM in just gets told that it's the RAM and needs to be replaced with their specific stuff. So while Apple may not make it from scratch, they still charge a premium for "Apple-Approved" items.
        That's what I was referring to. Apple has always been that way, ever since the days of Apple IIs and IIIs. They'd charge an arm and a leg for parts, and would void warranties for anything "not up to code." In those days, any repair parts had to be ordered through Apple--either through a licensed retailer, or direct from the company. You couldn't pop down to the local "computer store" or even Radio Shack. Even now, very few places (locally) will even work on Macs or other Apple products.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I'm not sure what the laws and regulation are in the states, but here in Australia the warranty starts from the date the end user purchased the item, not when the reseller bought it. If Apple tried that here, they would find themselve in a whole lotta sh*t fromt the ACCC and the Dept of Fair Trading.
          "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
          "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
          "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Some of my Macs have more actual IBM parts in them than a typical "IBM PC". ;-)

Comment

Working...
            X