This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just make the damn sandwich!

It's wonderful going to college away from home. I'm very happy being responsible for myself, and I haven't had to work since I left in August. That said, sometimes dealing with the staff in the college cafe can be rough. There's one guy in particular who everyone seems to complain about, and I'm really surprised he hasn't been fired yet. I've had one run in with him, and it's entirely put me off the sandwich counter of the cafe if he's behind it.

I went into the Cafe around 9PM (they close at 11:30, so I wasn't overly close to closing) and went to the sandwich counter. Right off the bat, I felt like there was something wrong. I'm a very quiet person, but when I order food, especially in a loud place, I try to speak up. It takes me a couple tries for the guy behind the counter to get my order because he doesn't say much, just gives me this mocking look and stares a lot. I don't ask for anything complicated either, just a standard sandwich off of the menu board.

So he starts making my sandwich, then looks at me when he's already taken out the bread and spread something on it that he doesn't have any of the main ingredient. What the hell. He didn't ask me again what I wanted and then realize he didn't have more of it - he just started making it and, without looking to see if he had any more, told me they didn't. You couldn't have stated that in the beginning? I don't like to yell at anyone, so I keep my cool, try to act like it's no big deal, and ask for other veggies, and he just stares at me and shakes his head.

Eventually, I get something made. It's disgusting. I don't believe I've ever had a worse sandwich. The whole time I was at the counter, this guy just leers at me and makes me really uncomfortable. I've been thinking about putting in a complaint, but I don't think anyone should lose their job in this economy. That said, the guy is entirely incompetent. The topic came up in class one day, and everyone said exactly the same thing, that he's creepy and an ass to everyone who comes through his line, and that they won't get anything if he's working. I don't know if I should put in a complaint or not, but I'm seriously considering it.

Quoth Arwyn Q View Post
    I've been thinking about putting in a complaint, but I don't think anyone should lose their job in this economy.
    Yes they should. Think of yourself as a proud upholder of scientific principles (Darwin's).

Comment

Think about it this way, if it makes you feel better: If the creep DOES lose his job, a position may open up and a decent person who's been looking for work may get it.

However you want to look at it, the bottom line is, the guy isn't doing his job right and it sounds like a lot of people are feeling the consequences of it. Sorry you had such a yucky sandwich.

Comment

Hey, if he doesn't want to do his job adequately, I'm sure my hubby would! Plenty of good workers looking for jobs in this economy. If you don't care enough about your job, especially in these times, I'm sure someone else will!
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
          Hey, if he doesn't want to do his job adequately, I'm sure my hubby would! Plenty of good workers looking for jobs in this economy. If you don't care enough about your job, especially in these times, I'm sure someone else will!
          ditto, my BF is a cook by trade... he can't find a job to save his life... if creepy sandwhich guy doesn't want to do a better job, I'm sure my BF would be more than happy to take it. And with the "in this economy" bit... if you don't care you get what you deserve, there are people who deserve much better who are waiting to take your place.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I'd complain, but then again, I've never complained so I realize the hypocracy in my statement. I wonder why he's still being an ass after so many people have complained about him. You'd think that would be the cue to either give him an attitude adjustment or fire him.

He sounds like a real jerk.

Comment

Quoth Arwyn Q View Post
              Eventually, I get something made. It's disgusting. I don't believe I've ever had a worse sandwich. The whole time I was at the counter, this guy just leers at me and makes me really uncomfortable.
              Please complain.

Also, regarding the disgusting sandwich, is it possible he's tampering with the ingredients?

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                Please complain.

Also, regarding the disgusting sandwich, is it possible he's tampering with the ingredients?

^-.-^
                No, it was that it was a wrap with a little bit of hummus, lettuce, tomato, peppers, carrot bits, and other assorted salad ingredients, all heated up and pressed. I had asked for a roasted veggie wrap, and when he didn't have that, just told him to put some vegetables on it. Anyone with tastebuds would realize that that's a bad combo.

Not tampering, just a terrible combination.

Comment

Quoth Arwyn Q View Post
                  I've been thinking about putting in a complaint, but I don't think anyone should lose their job in this economy.
                  Anybody who is rude and incompetent to the point of sabotage doesn't deserve a job in any economy. Please complain. Remember, "all it takes for evil to succeed is for good to do nothing" (probably badly misquoted, but you get the gist). And as Kay said, your complaint may be the last straw that pushes the bosses into firing the nogoodnik and hiring someone competent.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Add one more to the 'of course he should lose his job! Then someone who DESERVES it can have it!'
                    "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

Yeah definitely complain about his demeanor, even if you don't mention his...er, job skills. If THAT many people have taken note of the way he treats customers, it means that he's probably scaring business away. Managers tend to notice things like that. With any luck, they'll get him to be at least "less creepy".
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Arwyn Q View Post
                        I had asked for a roasted veggie wrap, and when he didn't have that, just told him to put some vegetables on it.
                        I bet you won't make that mistake again.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If he loses his job, one person suffers. If he keeps his job, untold amounts of people suffer. Which is more preferable?
                          It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                          -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
                            If he loses his job, one person suffers. If he keeps his job, untold amounts of people suffer. Which is more preferable?
                            The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one.

Can his creepy ass so people can eat in peace.
                            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

With regard to complaining about the creep, look at it this way - the more people who are put off using the cafe due to this creep working there, the more the business will suffer.
                              So, by complaining about this guy, you're doing the business a favour...they sack him, the customers return, business picks up, everyone is happy - except maybe the creep, but who cares about him? He shouldn't have acted creepily in the 1st place, he brought it upon himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X