This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't even enjoy a newspaper these days without EWs

Today we had bunch of firms coming for a career fair. It was hectic and chlostrophobic but I hope I got something out of it. Anyway afterwards I went to have lunch and picked up a copy of the student newspaper to unwind. Terrible plan now that I think about it, I should've gone with comics.

There was one op ed piece by a student who thought train penatlties were being unfair and targeting students. Her example being that she was caught riding past the station her ticket permitted her to do so but the monitors didn't care about how a fine was going to hit her budget. Then she went on about how nobody trusts your word anymore. I can't imagine why that would be. I mean why shouldn't she be entitled to special snow flake treatment and ride past her actual assigned stop just because it would make her sad to pay a fine? Why can't you mean train people take her word for it and be forgiving this once? I'm sure she'll never do it again.

I'm also expecting a phoenix egg in the mail and a leprechan to fart rainbows.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

That's not what I was expecting to read. I was expecting to read something along the lines of:

I'm sitting down to eat lunch and read the newspaper and then some guy comes along to ask if he can read the sports section. To which I reply, "No you may not". to which he says, "But you're not reading it now". to which I say, "No, I'm not but I will be shortly. And if you're that interested in reading the paper, there is a box outside where you can buy one."

Comment

Must be the Letters To The Editor section or as I like to call it, "The Funnies!"
      I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
        That's not what I was expecting to read. I was expecting to read something along the lines of:

I'm sitting down to eat lunch and read the newspaper and then some guy comes along to ask if he can read the sports section. To which I reply, "No you may not". to which he says, "But you're not reading it now". to which I say, "No, I'm not but I will be shortly. And if you're that interested in reading the paper, there is a box outside where you can buy one."
        That's another story, which ends up with me not having the sports section anyway since I just throw it in the recycle bin after getting the newspaper. This is apparently a travesty unto Nuggan.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
          Must be the Letters To The Editor section or as I like to call it, "The Funnies!"
          I used to read them as part of my morning routine. Most of the time I just had to laugh at the crap that people had to say. I loved the misinformation spread via the letters. Of course if one were to write a letter to correct the misinformation, complete with references to support the correction, were never published.

Comment

Quoth Sightings Reporter View Post
            I used to read them as part of my morning routine. Most of the time I just had to laugh at the crap that people had to say.
            Heck, I used to read them just to find out the crap my DAD had to say!
            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

My favorite letter to the editor was one saying the comic Garfield is immorral because Garfield is never punished.

Comment

Quoth Sightings Reporter View Post
                I used to read them as part of my morning routine. Most of the time I just had to laugh at the crap that people had to say. I loved the misinformation spread via the letters. Of course if one were to write a letter to correct the misinformation, complete with references to support the correction, were never published.
                But if they only published the sane letters then there would never be a reason to read them

Quoth elsporko View Post
                My favorite letter to the editor was one saying the comic Garfield is immorral because Garfield is never punished.
                It's strange that there's actually people around who feel the need to write a letter about a cartoon as inoffensive as Garfield...
                !
                "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                  I'm also expecting a phoenix egg in the mail and a leprechan to fart rainbows.
                  ...made me think of this.
                  If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
                  ^_^

Comment

Our school newspaper had a columnist who wrote about Yogi Bear being offensive because he wasn't clothed. These were the opinion pages, but were actual student journalists employed by the newspaper. This "journalist" had many a ridiculous article that sent myself and others into a seething rage. And then I realized that was the point. Every article he wrote made an effort to be contrary. No journalistic content or effort made to make an educated argument. He just pushed peoples' buttons. His so-called articles didn't bother me much after that.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                      Our school newspaper had a columnist who wrote about Yogi Bear being offensive because he wasn't clothed.
                      Well, he's wrong, then! Yogi Bear wears clothes! He's got a green tie and a really neat hat.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        Well, he's wrong, then! Yogi Bear wears clothes! He's got a green tie and a really neat hat.
                        He also wears a white collar, which is obviously part of the one-piece bear suit he is wearing. It's Porky Pig and Donald Duck that don't wear pants.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          He also wears a white collar, which is obviously part of the one-piece bear suit he is wearing. It's Porky Pig and Donald Duck that don't wear pants.
                          Not to mention Bugs Bunny. I think Elmer Fudd and Marvin the Martian were the only ones 'decent'.

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                            Not to mention Bugs Bunny. I think Elmer Fudd and Marvin the Martian were the only ones 'decent'.
                            But didn't Marvin the Martian only wear a helmet, a tutu thingy and nothing else? Course, he was a Martian, maybe they're, ah, assembled differently
                            !
                            "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Ah, Yogi. He was smarter than the average bear. Though it would have been funny to have the ranger bust him for indecent exposure.

Now, if Gilligan's Island had been real, I think eventually six castaways would have been rescued. "cut to the giant spider's cave, where the beastie is feasting on Gilligan's battered, bloody corpse"
                              Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Working...
                              X