This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 SC, 2 Punks, & 1 Cool Cashier

Woman with teenage hellions was ahead of me in checkout the other day. She's got the belt *piled* with her crap, and there was a huge, precariously balanced case of DIY furniture in her cart (with more stuff still squished under it). Her brats are rifling through the candies and the little extras around the checkout. I knew something was up from the way two of the boys were sniggering around the candy bars. Mom is making a scene about not wanting to pull the rest of her stuff out of her cart and demanding in a very obnoxious tone that the furniture be discounted because the box is dented (the edge was torn and you could see the damage didn't go through the styrofoam inside, but she wouldn't listen).

The cashier is an older gentleman, soft spoken but using a firm tone of voice. Very professional, very polite, and more patient than I would have been with the situation.

The boys squeeze past mom in full rant, trying to get to the end of the checkout aisle, and this is when we all learn that the polite man dealing with mom is more observant than we give him credit for being. Dropping his explanation to mom mid-sentence, he holds his hand out the the boys and demands (still in a calm voice) that they hand over the candy bars they shoved in their pockets.

Mom goes ape shit, pissed that he would accuse her precious boys of trying to steal candy. Does he think she can't afford to buy them candy if they want it?!?!?

He continues to give the boys the Stare of Authority, holding out his hand for the candy. They balk for about 5 seconds before pulling the candy out and handing it to him. The fact that the boys really *had* been stealing doesn't slow mom down a bit. Apparently, she
    1) has never been so insulted in her whole life,
    2) doesn't appreciate his attitude, and
    3) isn't going to shop there ever again.

At that point she storms out, leaving her crap piled on the belt and sending the cart with the furniture in it drifting precipitously towards the glass doors of the nearby ice machine.

The cashier looks at me, still holding the candy bars, completely unphased by her outburst and departure and says "I'd hate to see what she'd have done if I'd called security."

Sweet!
    Last edited by Broomjockey; 11-21-2009, 12:34 AM.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

I love a story with a happy ending.

Comment

With security she'd probably be all sugar and sweetness and apologetic about the "misunderstanding" while also complaining about how "rude" the cashier was.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

If I hadn't seen her leave, I would have stayed around to make sure management knew that the cashier had been calm and polite, and that I saw the little punks pull the candy bars out of their pockets (three bars each). I hate it when workers get crapped on by management because witnesses won't get involved to make sure the story's straight.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

kudos to the checker...he's probably either been at it for a while and doesn't get phased by much or raised a few kids of his own. i'm guessing both.
          and kudos to you for not going apeshit on the woman yourself...i know i would've had some snarky comment waiting.
          If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
          ^_^

Comment

The woman probably stormed out because she was so embarrassed that her kids got caught doing that. Once they admitted what they had done there was nothing more she could do to blame that cashier.

Unfortunately, at my store we are not allowed to do anything if we witness or suspect that someone stole something. The policy at my store is that we must notify our supervisor of what we witnessed and they will then notify store security who will take action if appropirate. Only problem is, by the time all of that goes down they will most likely have left the store and be long gone.

Comment

That cashier is awesome! He must have been doing this for a long time.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                With security she'd probably be all sugar and sweetness and apologetic about the "misunderstanding" while also complaining about how "rude" the cashier was.
                Sadly, that's likely what would happen.

Shame on her for being so self-centered and not disciplining her brats. Those two will end up serving time, and she's going to wonder what went wrong.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Those two will end up serving time, and she's going to wonder what went wrong.
                  No she won't; that would be admitting that she and hers were somehow flawed.

No, if they get jail time, it will be society's fault, not anything traceable to her.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I DREAM of situations like this one where i would totally rip that mother a new one. I wish i'd been there. and i wish i was as brave and confident as that cashier.

Comment

Working...
                    X