This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the express lanes a little less express

I had to go up to WM the other day to pick up a couple small items. Hubby and I picked out the shortest line at one of the express lanes, thinking that would be the fastest. Were we ever wrong!

This SC was directly ahead of us in line. After the cashier gets done ringing up everything, SC balks at the total, and has her cancel some items. Checks the total again, still no good, so she cancels more items. Oops, now it's too low, so ring up a couple items again. Good. Pulls out a card and pays.

Now, she has the cashier ring up the rest of the items as another transaction. Oh, that total's too high, cancel one of the items. Pulls out a second card to pay.

Then, she has the cashier ring up the final item for a THIRD transaction and pays with a THIRD card!

By this point, it would have been faster had we gotten into one of the longer lines!

Seriously, why not just ring all it up at once and say "I want $XX on this card, $XX on this card, and $X on this one?" I do it for my customers all the time. And I know WM can do it. I've had to do it there once before, so it is possible, and is probably much less of a pain.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Some people don't know you can do it at all. The only place that I know of that advertises the possibilities is Target. If you use their card readers it specifically asks "Do you want the total all on this card?" or something to that effect. Caught me off guard the first time I saw it. I actually wonder for a moment if it knew what my account balance was and was warning me I was getting too close!

Fortunately, brain cells kicked up the common sense before I could make a fool of myself with a stupid question.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

usually the most I get with customers is "Can I put X amount on this card and the rest on this card/cash?" I have no problem with it.

There's also a regular couple when I used to work fridays. Very friendly and they always ask me to split it evenly. I manage to do so-right off the top of my head too
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

If you've read some of my previous threads, I absolutely hate express lines for reasons like this story. I've not had this happen yet, but I'm sure it will happen soon. My pet peeves are the ones that buy 50 items in the 10 items or less express line, then break it into five different orders to bypass the policy.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
          If you've read some of my previous threads, I absolutely hate express lines for reasons like this story. I've not had this happen yet, but I'm sure it will happen soon. My pet peeves are the ones that buy 50 items in the 10 items or less express line, then break it into five different orders to bypass the policy.
          We tend to circumvent that by stating that it's 15 items per PERSON. Don't like it? Then don't buy so much stuff.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            Hubby and I picked out the shortest line at one of the express lanes, thinking that would be the fastest. Were we ever wrong!
            Dont you know this is against the laws of nature @ WM? The shortest line is NEVER the fastest.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
              Dont you know this is against the laws of nature @ WM? The shortest line is NEVER the fastest.
              Ain't it the truth?! I hate working the express lanes.
              "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Working...
              X