This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Sighting w/ a return

I know it's the holiday season, I know that craft stores are in their busy hectic OMG I MUST HAVE MY FAKE WREATH NOW! realm, but I'd been putting off returning a few things for a while.

Ok, backstory. I bought 3 boxes of do-it-yourself invitations, place cards, save the date cards and thank you cards from a bridal magazine line that is carried at a craft store named after the "row your boat ashore" guy. I was smart and saved all my receipts because we were planning a wedding on a budget and I wanted to be sure to stay within it. Unfortunately, the wedding has been called off since early September. I think I was holding off on the return just in case things turned out differently. Our wedding had been scheduled for Jan 10 this coming year.

So today, finally feeling confident enough to return things, I load up and head to "Row Your Boat Ashore" after taking the GRE. All in all, it's going to be about $180 in returns, but I have my receipt!

I wait, and wait, and wait, but I do it patiently because I know it's busy and I want to be a good customer. My turn came and there wasn't a soul behind me, so I don't feel too bad about the size of my return.

All is going well until an older woman with a cart overflowing in holiday decorations gets behind me and immediately starts huffing and tapping her ring on the cart handle. After a few minutes of this, I glance at her in an attempt to offer an apologetic smile. Instead she barrages me with "What is taking so long? Can't you see there are other people in line?"

Rather than apologize, I burst into tears and just lay out a big ol' sob story. Throwing out "Sorry!" and "My fiance and I canceled the wedding and I'm returning the stationery because I can't bear to look at it!" Big crocodile tears. Sure, a small part of it was genuine, and part of it was stress from the GRE, but I really laid it on thick.

So to the cashier, I'm sorry you had to witness that. To the older lady behind me in line, thank you for having the decency to look the smallest bit ashamed for being so impatient.

So you were in line before her and she gets all puffy? I think she was the one being sucky. At least you made her feel ashamed of her suckiness.

I admit, I'd probably be impatient too, but I wouldn't make that kind of comment.

Comment

That's pretty funny. Sorry you were stressed, though... but she had no right to get huffy at YOU. I hate when people do that. Like it's your fault that you're ahead of them? If I have a big shopping, I will try to let people with just a few items go ahead of me, but I also need to be checked out at some point. Can't just wait around until there is absolutely nobody in the store
      !
      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

What a bitch. I love what you did.

BTW, I've been through the 'broken engagement' thing. And recently. PM me if you need an ear.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
        X