Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customer actually brings the shelf tag to the check out counter!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer actually brings the shelf tag to the check out counter!

This beats everything I've seen in a while. I was at the local Target earlier today, just buying a box to ship something off in. In the line next to me, this woman was buying an air mattress, and she actually brought with her the shelf tag used for advertising the price of it. She told the cashier she was certain she was going to be screwed, and that the cash register would ring up the incorrect price. Well, it rang up at the exact price advertised on the shelf tag (and I'll bet she would not have complained had the price rung up lower). Meanwhile, some poor Target employee now has to make the trip back to the camping gear to reattach this shelf tag to the merchandise.

Not really complaining, but I thought it was the newest thing to share with others.

People do that all the time at my store, and it drives me insane. They also do that when something doesn't have a price. Telling me that it's 4.99 doesn't help me when I have to scan it in dumbarse!

Comment

At least she actually handed it to an employee. We have just one price tag on our computer products, not dozens for customers to take home with them. Still, people will take the price/spec tag out of its holder for a closer examination. I can understand this, to a point. Some people have a hard time seeing text unless it is at just the right distance from them. But...

There are also the customers who take a price/spec tag out of its holder and over to another part of the department. There they compare it to another model, then take THAT tag to compare the first two with a third. Then, if they're looking at desktop computers, they'll go back and get the package tags and do the same thing. When they're done with their comparison shopping here, they'll either purchase or leave. Often the purchasers will at least hand us the tags so we can put them back. The nice leavers abandon their stack of tags at a random place or random places throughout the store. The other leavers just take the tags with them, to compare prices elsewhere, to keep as scratch paper, or to bring back two or three months later, when we don't carry that model any more, to demand a package at the special sale price it was on once and only once.

I could save a large forest if I could recycle all the tags I've had to reprint in the last year.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

Those are funny stories, for sure. It's almost like they're gathering evidence to use later on down the road, long after the sale has ended. Now I know why customers will get up to the check out counter and complain "I saw it for less on your shelf" thanks to the customer who put the tag back in the correct spot.

Keep it coming!

Comment

I suppose it's possible (but not probable) that some "guests" take the tag to the scanner on the aisle and punch in the DPCI. Maybe. I'm only saying this because I've seen it happen, by a former employee and by a "guest" whose been helped before by a hapless flow staffer who never is afforded a PDA, ever, for any reason. Why in the world would I ever need a PDA for cripe's sakes? LOL.

Comment

I get that a lot from people who don't understand our store-brand tags. The shelf signs that we make for our store-brand items will compare the price to the national brand and then show how much the customer saves by buying the store brand.

Naturally, since the amount the customer saves is generally less than the price, they think that that's the actual price.

I used to get confused all the time when customers would ask for the item behind the counter that's "On sale for $3." "Oh, no that's actually $6.99, but you save $3 by buying the store brand!"

Fortunately, customers usually have to ask me for products in my department, or else if they're having trouble, I can walk 10 feet over to help them out. But when something's out in the paper goods department, they just HAVE to bring me the shelf tag, don't they?

I have asked customers to put stuff back before. Some of them are very nice about it. Most of them aren't.
            Last edited by pbmods; 12-07-2006, 05:15 PM. Reason: wall != counter
            "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
            -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

My personal favorite is when they grab a shelf tag to make their point, and then I don't have to walk clear over to the aisle to point out to them that it's either:
              1) that price after a mail in rebate
              2) they grabbed the wrong friggin tag.
              3) it's the price they want AFTER they buy a certain amount of the product.

Then I get another goback....sigh....

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                My personal favorite is when they grab a shelf tag to make their point, and then I don't have to walk clear over to the aisle to point out to them that it's either:

You forgot to add that the item number listed on the shelf tag does not match the UPC code. Always turned out we were always out of that item's number, yet the customer would pull the "I should get this one for the same price as the other since it's not in stock!" shit all the time.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                  You forgot to add that the item number listed on the shelf tag does not match the UPC code. Always turned out we were always out of that item's number, yet the customer would pull the "I should get this one for the same price as the other since it's not in stock!" shit all the time.
                  If they do that at the electronics store that I am going to open, then their ass is out of luck.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post

Do customers at non-craft stores bring to the register full carts...only to tell you they don't want every third item? I swear, we've always got a lot of go-backs, but they seem to be growing exponentially. (well, not really..)

We don't generally have people bring up the shelf tags. They'll bring up the sale signs though.
                    you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

I typically only get about a basket full of crap to take back, mostly because people rarely buy a whole bunch back at the pharmacy counter with me. I'm really ok with that.

Occasionally if someone tries to get a heaping cartfull and I've got a big line out past the bathroom door, I'll nicely ask them to take it up to the front or to cosmetics, but that's a rarity anymore. I'll do it if I don't have a buttload to do already, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X