X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewelery Store Is Just Begging To Go Bankrupt

Heard an ad on the radio today:

"Here at XYZ Jewelers, we want it to snow this December! If it snows x amount of snow on x, y, and z days, we're giving away free jewelery!"

Now, I'm sure there's fine print here and I'd have to go to the website or the store to read it and be completely down with the rules, but they are just asking to go out of business here. And thanks for the over-confidence in a snow-free December, but it's just not going to happen. We're already under a snow advisory for Tuesday and Wednesday this week, with some areas being forecasted for 8+ inches of snow.

I think tomorrow's chore of the day is to go to that website and see what days are assigned to give away free jewelery if it snows x amount of snow....

Doesn't anyone get it that betting with winter weather doesn't work? Last year, the meteorologists had "bets" going on with the viewers that if it snowed x much or was x amount below zero on certain days, they'd give away free stuff....and they always lost!
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Hmmm, maybe it's stock they're really desperate to get rid of, and this way they'll garner favor, get rid of junk, and get to use it as a write-off.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Theres a few jewelery stores around here that do the same on Christmas day. If it snows its FREE!! but it has to snow over a certain amount and you had to have spent $XXXX amount of dollars.....I dont think anyones ever benefitted from it yet.

Comment

They're usually insured for that. A car dealership around here just paid out well. They run a sale every year around the end of Sept., beginning of Oct. that if you buy a new vehicle during and it snows on a certain date in Dec. they will give you $10 grand. The date they picked this year was Fri. and it had to snow 2 inches or more. Well this year we had a nice storm, we had 2 inches by an hour and a half after it started. First time in about 10 years they had to pay out.

Comment

They occasionally run a contest like that here, only the rules go as thus:

If you buy anything from day X to day Y, and it then snows more than A inches on day Z, you get it free.

If they're expanding it to needing to snow on THREE days, they're *never* going to need to pay out, especially if they've a minimum on the amount of snow. During a heavy month, it might snow maybe 10, 12 days. But most of those days won't see a full inch. So to get the minimum amount of snow on those 3 specific days?
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Runza does that sometimes with the temperatures. They'll say if the temperature gets to a certain point (usually a record low) they'll give away free Runza's or a cup of chili or a free pop...

A local furniture store bets on the CornHuskers. If you buy a certain type of tv, and the Huskers win a game (usually a bowl game) with a certain amount of points, the tv is free or they give you a rebate on part of the cost of the tv or something like that.

I guess if they do it again this year, they probably wont have to worry about paying out, the Huskers have really sucked this year. (ok...they've sucked ever since Tom Osborne retired)

Comment

Although there does seem to indeed be a lot of fine print, before anyone thinks that there's no way the store will have to pay off, do bear in mind that last December we did have record breaking snowfall totals, and the year before was pretty snowy as well.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                "Here at XYZ Jewelers, we want it to snow this December! If it snows x amount of snow on x, y, and z days, we're giving away free jewelery!"
                Here is a news story about one such offer. This is from Lasker Jewelers in Eau Claire, WI.

Here is a news story from January 2008 about another one.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I should correct myself here.....the radio said free ENGAGEMENT rings, not just jewelery together. Although the first link says otherwise.

Laskers is one of the most prestigious, sophisticated jewelers around. Their engagement rings are oo la la.

Comment

A local jeweler does something similar for wedding rings: "If it rains on your wedding day, your ring is free!"
                    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      They occasionally run a contest like that here, only the rules go as thus:

If you buy anything from day X to day Y, and it then snows more than A inches on day Z, you get it free.

If they're expanding it to needing to snow on THREE days, they're *never* going to need to pay out, especially if they've a minimum on the amount of snow. During a heavy month, it might snow maybe 10, 12 days. But most of those days won't see a full inch. So to get the minimum amount of snow on those 3 specific days?
                      Heh, I remember when a number of stores did that the first time. Right up to and including New Years Eve, it was a very dry black Christmas. No snow, but also fairly warm. So the jewelery company said that on new years day, if it snowed, they would reimburse all sales for the month. Now this felt like a safe enough bet, We had more rain than snow in that month, and the temperature never went below freezing for very long.

Come New Years Day, the temperature nosedives to well below freezing, and a blizzard decides to come in. So in one day, we got over a foot of snow, and they lost a crapload of money.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I lost out on one of those snow deals once. Toro had a promotion where if you bought a snowblower and it didn't snow a certain amount, the snowblower was free. They figured if it did snow more than that amount, you would be happy to have the snow blower. Just my luck, it snowed just over the stated limit. (Not that I can really complain all that much since the snowblower was a gift from my MIL.)
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
                          A local jeweler does something similar for wedding rings: "If it rains on your wedding day, your ring is free!"
                          must be some heavy fine print-It's almost always raining somewhere
                          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                            It's almost always raining somewhere
                            Not so. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                            X