This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale Of Bad Service

This happened a while ago; however, I don't believe I've posted it here. I don't often post stuff, for some reason. XD

Introduction: I am English. We do not automatically tip waitstaff over here; we tend to do so only for good service. A meal costing under a tenner would mean a maximum of £2 tip.

I'm shopping, and it's lunchtime. I am starving and my feet hurt, due to spending hours traipsing in and out of shops in chunky heels. I go into this lunchtime place to have lunch. My meal comes to just under eight pounds; I only have a twenty so I leave it with the check on the table for the waitress to take away and bring back my change. Here is where the suck happens.

The waitress does not bring back my change. -.- I call her over and ask, "Excuse me, but can I please have my change?" She looks at me in an insolent way and replied, "Oh, I thought that was my tip." I reply, "It wasn't. I only had a twenty; please give me my change." Her reply? "Sorry, but I already put it in the tip jar. I can't give it back."

I am LIVID. I am not a rich person; in any case, the service was just average so I certainly would not have tipped her that much. I probably would have left a pound. I get up, walk right over to the manager and say, "That waitress," pointing to the girl, "Stole my change. I did not tell her she could take it as a tip; all I did was leave it with the check. I would like my change back, and for you to have a word with her. I was going to tip her, but I won't now, cuz I don't tip thieves."

The manager does three things. First of all, he comps my meal. Second, he gets me my twenty back. And third, he goes to the waitress and tells her to see him out the back. He apologises profusely and I get the feeling that this is not the first time she has done this. I leave.

Prologue: A week or so later, I go back to the restaurant with a friend. The thief waitress is not there, and in fact, I never see her there again.
    Last edited by Lace Neil Singer; 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

You did exactly the right thing. She was a thief. Maybe if you had left a ten it would have been understandable, but a twenty? No way.

Comment

goodness. i'm thinkin the waitress was fired. which was probably a very good thing.
      If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
      ^_^

Comment

Who has ever heard of a 150% tip anyway? I'm with the other people, I could understand if it were a ten but not a twenty.

Comment

Not a chance that an honest person would have assumed all that change was her tip; unless she asked 'and do you need change?' and you said 'no.' Glad her manager caught onto her!

When my grandfather was getting older, he treated us to dinner and when the waiter came he paid and told the waiter he could keep the change. And the waiter's face was like and he asked 'are your sure??' and grandpa said yes. Then dad pointed-out to grandpa that he had just given the waiter a $50-some tip, because grandpa had forgotten the size of the bill he'd used. So grandpa asked for some of the change back; but dad made sure he was polite!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth ReverendBSB View Post
            You did exactly the right thing. She was a thief. Maybe if you had left a ten it would have been understandable, but a twenty? No way.
            If I'd left a ten, I probably would say "Keep the change" cuz otherwise, it's a bit of a hassle. I am usually a very generous tipper, but not that bloody generous! O_o XD
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

All this goes double for a country where tips are not the norm. The gall! It's burns!

Good manager, though.
              "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I have to wonder if she managed to get away with it before; I mean, some people like the elderly and shy wouldn't want to make a fuss or might have believed her when she said she couldn't get them their change back.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Interesting story out of Philly I just read about:

There's a pub where the policy is that they automatically add an 18% tip on the bill of any group of 6 or more.

A group of 8 goes there. Service, they claim, was absolutely terrible. 2 members of the group paid for their food & drinks, but refused to pay the automatic tip, and have been charged with theft!

Most I've ever tipped: I once left a $9 tip on an $11 meal. There was this fantastic, but pricey, chinese buffet in my home town. I was expecting the total to be a little over $16, and I was going to pay with a $20 and let the server keep the change. My server, who was a friend-of-friends of mine didnt charge me for my (non-alcohic) drink, and rang me in with the employee discount, since my roommate was a busboy there. So I decide to leave the $20 anyway, and chalk it up to karma
                  Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                    Who has ever heard of a 150% tip anyway? I'm with the other people, I could understand if it were a ten but not a twenty.
                    Maybe in the kind of establishment where the waitress does a striptease after bringing out your meal?

Otherwise, yeah, she'd probably just pulled that a few times before and gotten away with it, and just got greedy this time.
                    Check out my webcomic!

Comment

She probably assumed you weren't going to say anything & when you did, she knew she had been had. That happens more often than anyone realizes.

Comment

Guess it pays to be outspoken sometimes. XD
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                          Service, they claim, was absolutely terrible.
                          Did they talk to a manager about the 'terrible service' before refusing to pay the 'required gratuity'?
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                            Did they talk to a manager about the 'terrible service' before refusing to pay the 'required gratuity'?
                            Yes, they did. It doesn't state it in the article posted here, but there's a thread over on Fratching discussing this, and in the article posted there, it states that the couple did speak to a manager, who basically told them "tough luck, pay up." Even if they were to pay the 18% gratuity, 18% of $73 is a bit over $13, not the $16 they were charged.

Comment

Working...
                            X