This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I seriously don't work here.

I work at an east coast grocery chain which has regular stores, and then a "Market" store which has more organic/natural products. I decided to stop over on my way home because it had a special type of product I needed that my current store doesn't.

I stupidly didn't take off my uniform, and some lady comes up to me asking where something is. The main thing here is though that our uniforms are different from the people who work here. I have a tan uniform with an apron, and they have a denim shirt with an apron.

I tell her that no, I do not in fact work here, and she laughs. She then said "No seriously... just tell me where it is." I was like uhhhh I seriously don't work here, I do work at another <store> though. You can see that our uniforms are different, but I'm sure someone can help you if you ask them though. Our layouts are completely different, so I had no idea where anything is since I barely come here. She leaves looking annoyed with me.

I always take off my uniform going there now though.

Now I'm glad my company makes us keep our uniforms in our locker.

Also after reading similar stories I'm starting to think I should buy my hardware needs at a competitor; not because I hate my company (well, not all the time), but just to keep from being recognized...

...nah, that'll never work.
    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I've been asked if I work in an entirely different store to the one I work at. That store has blue shirts. Mine are green.

What makes it funny is that we're both owned by the same company.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I've been asked at places if I work there when I've been dressed in my own clothes. O_o It's like we give off an aura of retailness wherever we go.
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          I've been asked at places if I work there when I've been dressed in my own clothes. O_o It's like we give off an aura of retailness wherever we go.
          Once I was sitting on the floor at a bookstore, reading the back cover of a book. I had no fewer than 3 people ask me if I worked there, in less than 2 minutes.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I've not had the 'do you work here' thing lately but I seem to give an air of knowing a city. My first week in Birmingham people kept asking me if I know where such and such street is. It's a good thing they didn't press me when I said I didn't know or who knows where my 'directions' would have led them.
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

As I tend to say, a lot, I work for Wal-Mart. But it being Wal-Mart, I have to come in and shop, check my schedule for changes I didn't request/get notice of, well, and of course having to wait for the nearly worthless city bus system.

But even when I'm in clearly buying my own groceries, wearing sweatpants and a not-cerulean shirt, I am still frequently bothered by the 'where is . . . can you help . . . I want you to . . ." crowd. It's quite annoying.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Do you happen to live in Pitt? Our bus system is okay, but I live in an area which the buses only come every hour.

Comment

I've had this happen at least two times I remember. Once, I stopped in at the Ron Jon Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach, wearing a Ron Jon t-shirt. Four people asked me to help them out, which is why I now visit there in regular clothes.

And, just recently, on Black Friday, I wore my blue shirt that has the Best Buy logo on the front, except it says "Broke Guy" instead. It almost looks like the Best Buy logo but is not, and I had two people come up to me for assistance. What was strange was the fact that I was there in my shorts, t-shirt, and sneakers and not dressed in the normal polo or collared shirt of the actual employees, yet these people thought I worked there. One woman gave me an annoyed look before walking off.

Yeah, never thought about watching what you wear when you go out.

Comment

I honestly don't think it's the clothes so much as the Aura of Competence +5...
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                      Once I was sitting on the floor at a bookstore, reading the back cover of a book. I had no fewer than 3 people ask me if I worked there, in less than 2 minutes.
                      Why is that?? I'll be standing behind the counter of the store, obviously employed, and people will pass me to ask customers reading books on the couch, "do you work here?" That always warrants a big mental facepalm.
                      !
                      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I honestly don't think it's the clothes so much as the Aura of Competence +5...
                        I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I got asked the dreaded question while in New Look. I was dressed in an Alice Cooper t-shirt, New Rock boots and a long black velvet skirt. I in no way resembled a typical New Look shop assistant. O_o
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
                          Why is that?? I'll be standing behind the counter of the store, obviously employed, and people will pass me to ask customers reading books on the couch, "do you work here?" That always warrants a big mental facepalm.
                          They might not want to ask someone behind the counter. The big box bookstore, which seems to have bought up all the other national chains tends to have staff wandering the floor, while the ones behind the counter are either a) the only person there (during the week) or b)pinned behind a line of 20 (prime shopping hours). Asking someone behind the counter really isn't an option.

Comment

The other day I was shopping at Sears, because the store I work at didn't carry quite what I wanted. I'm in blue jeans and my baby blue winter coat, while Sears is what, black slacks and a blue polo? I guess the fact that I knew what I wanted and what aisle it was in (I had already done my research and was coming back to purchase) made me look too knowledgable about the store, because I had guys calling to me for price checks and item locations.

After the fact, I realized that if I'd been snarky enough I could have given them driving directions to my store, plus the aisle to find said items in, but I needed the Sears employees to not be annoyed at me...
                            It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Avoiding eye contact and ignoring people helps, too. I know, though, that I'm usually too helpful and nice to do that. I'm slowly being pulled over to the darkside, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X