This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse you?

So, the family and I went out to dinner tonight (our usual Thursday night routine)... went to PF Changs. Pricey... (particularly for me, as I'm living on a fixed income right now...) We eat, we get our checks, I place my cash in the booklet for my check, and wander off to the restroom to go blow my nose, come back, we chat a bit longer, and the waitress brings back the other two books, but not mine. I get a confused look on my face, which bro, and sister in law notice. "What's wrong?"
    "Where's my change? She didn't bring me back my book. I guess that 55 cents became her tip...?"
    Mom admonishes me, saying, "You really should pay 10-15% when you tip."
    I say, "I had planned to, until she decided the 55 cents was hers to keep." I did leave my last dinner dollar as the rest of her tip, as I'd planned to do, but, I'm still here, give me my change! Don't just assume!
    "I call murder on that!"

From what I gather... you left the table and were in the restroom... so maybe she thought you had left? I'm not saying she was right of course... I'm just saying maybe she figured you had left after leaving your bill and a meager tip.

*shrugs*
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

Comment

I don't think that I understand.

What made you so sure that the waitress intentionally kept your book and change?

Was it busy in the restaurant? Is it possible that she got your checks confused with a different table's?

Could it be that something else was going on in the restaurant that was occupying her mind at the time, and she just forgot that there were supposed to be three checks for your table instead of two? Might she simply have made an honest mistake?

Did you say anything? Did you ask the waitress why she didn't return your book? Did you talk to a manager?

I'm just not seeing the evidence here that the waitress intentionally did anything wrong.
      “Excuse me. Is this bracelet real jade?”
      “Ma’am, this is a thrift shop. The tag on the bracelet says $1.50. It comes with a matching mood ring. What do you think?”
      “I don’t know.”
      “Yes, it’s real.”

Comment

Quoth Anthony K. S. View Post
        What made you so sure that the waitress intentionally kept your book and change?

Was it busy in the restaurant? Is it possible that she got your checks confused with a different table's?

Could it be that something else was going on in the restaurant that was occupying her mind at the time, and she just forgot that there were supposed to be three checks for your table instead of two? Might she simply have made an honest mistake?

Did you say anything? Did you ask the waitress why she didn't return your book? Did you talk to a manager?
        No, the restaurant was dead. Both my brother and my dad got their books back.
        She knew without being reminded since the beginning of placing our orders that I would be a separate check by myself.
        Once the waitress dropped off Dad's & Bro's cards, she scarpered. Couldn't catch her to ask what was up. And I had to defend my offhand comment that she'd decided her own tip...
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

As a waiter I NEVER assumed the change was mine nor did I ever ask if the patron wanted/needed change back. In my opinion, that is just plain rude.
          "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
          .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Working...
          X