This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troll Supervisor and the Unmerry Christmas

I like Christmas, in that I like quality carols, crackers and time off work. However, I have no time for the incredibly fake festive cheer found in supermarkets, and I'm sure I'm not alone. A corporation doesn't care if you have a good Christmas, just that they can convince you that to do so you must buy as much of their produce as you can stumble home with.

Anyway, on that note, yesterday I popped into my local behemoth of a superstore to buy some milk. The cashier was clearly new and only about 17 and looked deeply overwhelmed by the crowds. Therefore to assist her I had exact change ready and gave her a cheery smile, which she seemed to welcome. However, as I was taking my receipt a troll of a supervisor passed by and snarled at the girl, and I quote: "you forgot the sodding 'merry christmas' again!"

The cashier looked incredibly embarrassed and almost tearful. She whispered 'merry christmas' to me. I said it back just to make her feel better and did a conspiratorial eye roll.

Seriously, I get that they are required to say it, but at the price of total humiliation?
    Saying I'm "turning down a sale" and thinking I give an airborne fornication – GUILTY – Irving Patrick Freleigh

...I kind of would have been tempted to say something to the manager along the lines of

"How do you know I didn't tell her right off the BAT not to wish me Merry Christmas... since I do not celebrate it?"

Might not be true... but in front of all the other customers it would feel like vengeance for embarrassing the nice girl.
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

Comment

Mr. Supervisor sounds like a real winner. Someone needs to arrange for him top get a visit from Krampus one night after work.

At my store, we do it by choice. I work at the Big Yellow Price Tag, so I have a second reason to do it-- to make the "War on Christmas" monkeys out to be liars.
      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post

At my store, we do it by choice. I work at the Big Yellow Price Tag, so I have a second reason to do it-- to make the "War on Christmas" monkeys out to be liars.
        Same deal at my work. Merry Christmas is purely by choice.

We do have the option of wearing hats or shirts during december if we wish (Christmas ones...if we don't wear a christmas shirt, we wear our normal shirts ) but that's about it.

Out of respect for other people's religions though, I don't say Merry christmas unless someone says it to me first.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

What an ass. Was it really THAT big of a deal?

God I hate people like that.

Comment

O.K. first of all...as far as the "war on Christmas monkeys" being liars, This war on Christmas thing is not a lie. But to avoid this Fratching thing,that's another story for another time.
            With that out of the way, the cashier shouldn't have to be forced to say it. I too would have said something to the manager about that. Especially since the crowds were so massive that day.

Comment

what a prick of a supervisor.

I wonder what their head office would do if they got a complaint saying you'd never shop there again because of how they treat their staff.
              Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post
                O.K. first of all...as far as the "war on Christmas monkeys" being liars, This war on Christmas thing is not a lie.
                Actually, he's referring to something specific from one of his earlier threads, where it was technically a lie. But I'm too lazy to go look it up at the moment.

But yes, thank you for avoiding Fratching. May we all continue to do so!
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth the lawsmeister View Post
                  what a prick of a supervisor.

I wonder what their head office would do if they got a complaint saying you'd never shop there again because of how they treat their staff.
                  Hmm... a use for PFB? I'd actually applaud someone for taking business elsewhere because of a jerk manager. That is, unless the manager doesn't take it out on the cashier.

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post
                    Hmm... a use for PFB? I'd actually applaud someone for taking business elsewhere because of a jerk manager. That is, unless the manager doesn't take it out on the cashier.
                    Good point. It is probably what would happen. I have to admit that I am dying to try this one day if I see a crap manager giving in to a sucky customer

"Well Manager, you face a difficult choice. Today you will lose one of your customers. Your SC has said he will never shop here again if you don't give in to his demand. And I will never shop here again if you do"

Bonus points to anyone who knows who I'm paraphrasing.
                    Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post
                      O.K. first of all...as far as the "war on Christmas monkeys" being liars, This war on Christmas thing is not a lie. But to avoid this Fratching thing,that's another story for another time.
                      I am referring to a very specific lie that is about my employer and is being perpetrated as truth by people who don't have a clue what they're talking about.

See here for details.
                      Last edited by Mike Taylor; 12-18-2009, 04:31 AM.
                      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

That sorry piece of dog dirt would have thought I WAS freaking Krampus, if anyone had done that to someone in front of me.

I'm okay with being at the epicenter of what you would call a Very Unpleasant Public Scene.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          That sorry piece of dog dirt would have thought I WAS freaking Krampus, if anyone had done that to someone in front of me.

I'm okay with being at the epicenter of what you would call a Very Unpleasant Public Scene.
                          This is why we love you!

Comment

As an aspiring Kristmas Krampus myself, I would love to have a Sodding Christmas this year!

In fact, that would be sweet if the OP could go back in time and point out that a "sodding Christmas" would be just great, and that he could go sod himself right now!

Comment

Hmmm...I think you're right. Sodding Christmas sounds very, very...merry.

Comment

Working...
                              X