This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushy TV Salesman

This has been gnawing at me for a bit, so I thought I'd post it.

Me and my roommate were out shopping a couple of weeks ago for gifts at the local mall. She was looking for something that was in the Sears catalogue, and wanted to see if they had it at the brick-and-mortar store. Normally I don't go anywhere near Sears, but what the hey?

She headed off to ask an employee her question, and I noticed they had Pixar's 'Up' playing on their big screen TVs. I hadn't actually seen the movie, so I wandered over to watch a minute while I waited. She got her answer quicker than expected, and came to get me, and noticed I was watching the movie (Which later led to her getting the DVD for the house)

A salesman must have spotted us. We're often mistaken for a couple... which isn't really a big deal, and is kind of amusing, because I have far too much Y chromasome for her. To be fair, we've used it to our advantage, like when I was buying a car we got preferential treatment from the salespeople because they thought we were a couple. We never claimed to be, we just never bother correcting them.

Anyway, the salesman came over, and in the smarmiest, used car salesman voice I had EVER heard said: "Well! Looks like SOMEONE is looking for a new TV for their bedroom!"

Not "Can I help you?"

Not "Interested in our LCD big screens?"

Not "See anything that catches your eye?"

Straight to assumption. Since neither of us had said a word, aside from 'Hey, you ready to go?', I dunno where he got it from.

"No, thank you." I replied, with icicles forming from my stare.

"We were just checking out the movie." She clarified.

Now, there are a lot of responses that you could make to that, of course. But the one he made wasn't what I expected.

"So, which TV were you interested in?" With the big fake grin and cranking up the used salesman smarm a notch.

Wow... so, not only have you assumed we're a couple, assumed we're here to buy a TV, AND assumed where we plan to put it. (As well as, I have to assume, injecting some innuendo in there? I dunno...) You completely ignored our responses as if we had said something completely different.

I just shook my head and started walking away. Which was a shame, as at that point I was considering going over and seeing if they had the movie on DVD, and how much it was. Not an $8,000 LCD, I know, but still a sale.
    Check out my webcomic!

It's so lame when salespeople make assumptions about your marital status/sexual preference/whatever. My boyfriend looks quite a bit older than me (he is older but not that much, I just look young) and when we went to buy some new glassware, the salesman said to him jocularly, "taking your daughter to get some new stuff for mom?" I was completely offended and embarrassed. He doesn't look THAT old! Needless to say that I corrected him pretty harshly and then we left.
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
      the salesman said to him jocularly, "taking your daughter to get some new stuff for mom?"
      That's when you turn around and kiss your boyfriend.
      Deeply.
      Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
        That's when you turn around and kiss your boyfriend.
        Deeply.
        That woulda gave him something to think about....
        !
        "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

be sure to call him daddy!

Comment

My dad and I have been mistaken for a couple before, usually when we're flying together.

On the other paw, I've been told that I look a good deal younger than I actually am...
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
            X