Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I've been a difficult shopper at the local T-Mobile (they didn't really have the phone I wanted, and I didn't really have the money to get anything decent), and they've been nothing but accommodating.

That woman was something else, and I second writing to corporate to complain about her walking away when you wanted to buy a phone.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

see, this is what the phrase "the customer is always right" refers to. It doesn't mean give in to every demand but instead means that when a customer has made a decision about their product and wants to buy something you sell, you sell it to them. It doesn't matter how ugly the shirt is, how overpriced the macbook is or how unhealthy the food is, the customer is right, they have made their decision so sell them what they want not what you think they should have. Unfortunately the phrase has had the meaning horribly twisted.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

These are some of the reasons I will *NEVER* buy my phone or services from the retail shops again.

Last year around March or so, I wanted to buy a new smart phone. I had my eye on the Blackberry Storm for a while, but when I found out the amount of suckage it provided, I wanted to look into something different. So I went to a Verizon store in my town and was browsing around. The place was amazingly packed and we waited almost 45 minutes to get served. When we did, I started asking about the features I needed in a phone, more specifically, about the Samsung Omnia because it was getting great reviews and had WiFi... something unheard of for Verizon phones at the time (and still pretty much to this day).

So one of the guys was showing me his and all the things it could do. Needless to say, I was pretty sold on it, so we went ahead and started the process of buying it. Since I was on a family plan and we all shared minutes, the only thing I would be charged extra for apart from the cost of the phone would be $20/mo data and insurance.

Then, the guy started asking about these other features like visual voice mail. I told him I did not want any of them and not to sign me up for them. So what does the SOB do? I get my bill the following month and there is another $20 charge for visual voice.

I call up Verison and explain the situation. The guy on the phone then proceeds to tell me that this is something that happens all the time because the people who work their retail shops get a commission for all this stuff, so regardless of what you tell them, they sign you up anyway.

I was fuming and almost went back to the store to give the guy a piece of my mind, but then I figured, why bother? It'll just be a waste of time because he won't care anyway.
        Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
          Then, the guy started asking about these other features like visual voice mail. I told him I did not want any of them and not to sign me up for them. So what does the SOB do? I get my bill the following month and there is another $20 charge for visual voice.
          And this, my friends, is why you read everything on the contract before signing it.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            And this, my friends, is why you read everything on the contract before signing it.

^-.-^
            There was no contract. I was making an update to an existing account. I didn't sign anything while I was there except for the phone itself. There was nothing signed for services changed. I wouldn't have signed it otherwise.

<--- One of the few who reads what he signs
            Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
              There was no contract. I was making an update to an existing account. I didn't sign anything while I was there except for the phone itself. There was nothing signed for services changed. I wouldn't have signed it otherwise.

<--- One of the few who reads what he signs
              You know, I was taught to always read what I signed, because once I signed, I was responsible for doing what I said I'd do. You would not BELIEVE the number of huffy, snotty people I've had to deal with over the years because I've wanted to read over various contracts before I signed them. Usually from temp agencies and employers, too. "It's just the standard agreement!" "...yeah, but I still want to know what I'm signing."
              It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
                Oooh... yeah, that would have gotten me really, really mad, too.

Thankfully, my local shop has never tried any such shenanigans.
                Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
                You would not BELIEVE the number of huffy, snotty people I've had to deal with over the years because I've wanted to read over various contracts before I signed them. Usually from temp agencies and employers, too. "It's just the standard agreement!" "...yeah, but I still want to know what I'm signing."
                Oh, I'm sure we'd have no difficulty believing it.

"Oh, really? I've never seen one before. Maybe I should read it extra-carefully, then..." Proceed to pour over every paragraph, slowly.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                X