X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh man...now they're at SCHOOL TOO?

Someone shoot me.

I'll start off with some background info.
    I work at gamestop, and I'm also in high school.
    I'm exhausted, worn out, and completely sick of answering questions about the wii.
    But I still do anyway, because I need to be polite, etc.

Alright, so here's the deal.
    Word got out at school that I work at Gamestop. Okay, so...no biggie, right? Who really cares where I work? Well, these past few days, I'm starting to care.
    Why? Because I'm getting more retarded questions about the Wii at school than I am at work. People are even asking me if I can buy it for them, or put one on hold for them, or even sneak one out for them. Uh...how about no? People I barely even know approach me in the hall and ask me if I can hook them up. If I won't do it for one of my friends, why would I do it for some random kid the only time I ever knew them was from my english class what, three years ago?

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it was bad enough that at work literally 9 out of 10 customers HAD to ask, or answering the phone once every ten minutes only to tell the person no, we don't have it, no we won't have too many more before christmas, and no we can't put it on hold for them.
    Now kids at school are asking me for it? If they want it so bad, they should do what I did and get up at 6:30 am to go sit outside before the store opens at 7 to buy it.

And then, of COURSE, kids and customers alike who think they're SO smart, have to tell me how much the Wii costs everywhere else. Like dude...it's gotta be $249.99 no matter where you go, (except maybe Ebay) because for a vendor to sell the Wii, they had to sign a contract with nintendo, saying that they would not sell it for any price higher than that.
    I don't really need to know how much it costs everywhere else, nor do I care. If a store is selling it for more than $250, you can report them to nintendo, and nintendo will probably sue them for violation of a contract, but I really, really, REALLY don't care.
    Then, when I or my manager try to explain this to them, they start an arguement with us.

Ack...sorry...that pretty much turned into a rant.
    I feel like SCs are following me all over the place. o_o; *insert paranoia*

if you're not at work, you don't have to answer them, period; if they don't like that, tough. you're not their personal shopper, and you're on YOUR time, meaning this pestering is out of line. if they don't like it, they can get stuffed, straight out.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Delacroix View Post
      Why? Because I'm getting more retarded questions about the Wii at school than I am at work. People are even asking me if I can buy it for them, or put one on hold for them, or even sneak one out for them. Uh...how about no? People I barely even know approach me in the hall and ask me if I can hook them up. If I won't do it for one of my friends, why would I do it for some random kid the only time I ever knew them was from my english class what, three years ago?
      I used to get people all the time who, once they found out where I work, would ask me if I could wipe out their loan that's on our system. Most are joking, but some seemed quite serious.

Like you said, how about no? First of all, I don't have any type of update capabilities whatsoever, so I couldn't do it even if I wanted. Second, they'd find out about it sooner or later, and would put it back the way it was supposed to be. And the ones that were serious were usually people I didn't really know that well, or didn't even particularly like.

Here's a crazy idea: You borrow money, how about actually paying it back?
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

You're off the clock, ignore them.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I almost feel like we need a forum dedicated to off-hours sc's. I tell you, at the computer lab I worked at I got asked so often to help out with computer problems when I wasn't even on the clock.

DUDE, find someone paid to help you. I'm not doing it.
          No good news is good bad news

Comment

Quoth Cedophile View Post
            I almost feel like we need a forum dedicated to off-hours sc's. I tell you, at the computer lab I worked at I got asked so often to help out with computer problems when I wasn't even on the clock.

DUDE, find someone paid to help you. I'm not doing it.
            You could always charge them an up-front $50-per-hour consultation fee before you say anything...and make sure it's for a *minimum* of 3 hours Annoying, maybe, but who knows...they might just stop bugging you.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              You could always charge them an up-front $50-per-hour consultation fee before you say anything...and make sure it's for a *minimum* of 3 hours Annoying, maybe, but who knows...they might just stop bugging you.
              ...or you might make some quick cash.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

People are even asking me if I can buy it for them,
                Now this one, there's an easy counter that I did once actually. I charged them for this service. How much? Staff purchase price (cost plus 10%) the catch? This is in addition to the price of the object. Cash. In advance.

So in your case. It would amount to 524.98.

Hell, If you're going to be their personal shopper, might as well get paid for it.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Wow, I wish I had been that popular in high school. And you don't even know most of these people! It seems to me that they think they can pay you back for getting a Wii with their friendship. Puuulease.
                  "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
                    Wow, I wish I had been that popular in high school. And you don't even know most of these people! It seems to me that they think they can pay you back for getting a Wii with their friendship. Puuulease.
                    Haha, I don't need to buy friendship, why should I for people I don't even WANT to be friends with?

It's like when you go to the deli and one of those druggies is sitting there telling you if you give them a dollar they'll be your best friend. I'm here to buy a newspaper, not a friend.

Comment

Haha, I don't need to buy friendship, why should I for people I don't even WANT to be friends with? :
                      Someone (Will Smith comes to mind; I'm not sure it's correct) was dead on when he said something like "The problem is that too many people spend money they don't have to buy stuff they don't want to impress people they don't like."

Comment

Working...
                      X