This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• witnessed suckage at my store

i went in this evening to pick up my schedule and tips when this lovely exchange happened:

we had two people working the store during a busy stint; a customer wants to purchase 25 gift cards. most of the time, this isn't an issue, especially if we have three or more people-one can ring regular customers and another can handle the gift cards.

unfortunately, there was a line of about five people and drinks were starting to stack up as they do when things get busy. the woman insists on getting the cards, even though it's a busy stretch and only two people are available. the problem lies mainly with two things: our system is finicky and will 'time out' without warning, usually during transactions of large quantaties, and it would take about 5 or more minutes, meaning everyone behind her would have to wait longer than needed.

we started a corporate card program to handle large orders; all the person has to do is order online and they will be mailed out in about a week. this takes the pressure off of stores during a season where people go nuts over the least of things, and waiting for someone who wants multiple cards is a problem for most people.

does the woman take this option? of course not, she wants the cards and she wants them NOW. unfortunately, our am, in the better interest of all customers present, tells her her best options are to use the corporate program or go to a nearby store; we only have one person available to ring and forcing others to wait through a large transaction with two workers available would cause problems.

the woman throws a fit, arguing that she needs the cards, 'i don't see why there's an issue,' 'i'm a customer,' *insert line of reasoning here* until things start to get ugly. am suggests the same options; she gets pissed, then storms out to her car. after a few moments, she returns, demanding our manager's number, so she can report her 'unsatisfactory' visit and complain of her treatment.

tomorrow will be fun; i will probably get to find out what happens during my shift, and i'm betting it will be sheer joy.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Argh! I feel your pain.
    I used to work at a restaurant that also had a small retail section that sold chocolates and candy, and handled corporate orders. It never failed - people with HUGE corporate orders would come in DURING LUNCH RUSH and insist on being served immediately. It drove everyone nuts.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Back in my retail days at Fred Meyer there was a time when the customer service desk was the only place to purchase gift cerftificates.

That is because they had to be filled out by the cashier.. a large corporate order at Christmas time could take a good 15-20 minutes or more depending on how many the person was buying.

That and the phones, layaway, money orders, returns and all the other things that job entailed... what a nightmare.

You couldn't pay me enough to deal with all the stuff ever again.

Comment

Working...
      X