Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even when i fight before doing it, and curse a lot and scream and weep, there are few things I love as much as dropping under the bowels of our sweet ivana (Ivanna Hump A lot, our lada niva, sweet russian lady named after the austin powers character), and fight with her to change some part or fix something
    I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

"Excuse me, do I have to have a dick to get some service around here?"
      "No, we also take cash, checks and credit cards!"
      Seriously, that was a funny way to respond to a jerk. If I were there I would have to hope I wasn't drinking something when that came out.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
        I'm just wondering...did she ever get to exchange the filter?
        Yes, finally - it only took a couple minutes when they finally got down to it.

See, none of this would have happened if she had gone to her regular parts store, but she decided to try a different one. And since they didn't carry the brand she normally buys, the part numbers were different, too. Rather than cross-reference the filter she usually uses to the brands they have, they tried looking up her car and somehow screwed up (selected the wrong motor on the computer, I suspect).

That'll learn her to do different things.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
          A lot of men, in fact, the majority of men and women today don't know any more about their cars than how to put gasoline in them (and not even that in Oregon and New Jersey, apparently).
          I second that one. I do the annoying jobs on the Mazda...like changing the wipers, lights, fuses, etc...but as to other work, I let the shop handle it. I did, however, successfully replace the power lock mechanism on the right rear door though. My feeling is, I simply don't have the time to mess with the car. If it's something simple, and I think I can take care of it...I simply call up the dealer, get the part, and do it.

The MG though, that's another story. Since there are very few shops (at least locally) that can work on the car, out of necessity, I've been learning how to take care of it myself. As if that wasn't enough, I also stripped most of the car for restoration...picking up valuable info on how things go together along the way.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I used to do maintenance stuff like replace filters, hoses, etc on my old 83' Subaru, but with Steve the Forester, I take him in. He's still under warranty, so I'd rather not void anything.

Besides, Bluto the GL was still old enough that he wasn't really computerized at all so he was pretty easy to figure out most of the time what was wrong. Steve has been a good boy so far (time for his 60,000 mile checkup though), but I honestly really wouldn't know where to look to fix him if something did conk out, besides the usual places to add fluid to.

I haven't even had to change a tire on him yet. Wipers, yes, but I've discovered the quik-fit ones, so that takes a grand total of 5 minutes for all 3 of them anymore.

Comment

I can do all the simple things, but if it something major, then yeah, I will take it in.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

What a royal asshole.

Maybe he's the long lost father/uncle/brother/cousin to the string been nerd at the auto parts store that asked me, "Honey, do you even know what spark plug wires are?"

That guy needs to be slapped with an enormous piece of asparagus and then forced to attend a week-long female empowerment get-away. Asswipe.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

At the parts store I usually go to the female manager probably would have kicked his butt across the store for acting like that. She doesnt like it when guys act that way on either side of the counter and I've seen her take a few locals down a peg or two when they get all "teknical" about the parts they want.

I too probably would have hurt myself laughing at that response though.

And unfortunately I have seen a lot of the mechnics types who think if you can't quote the specs for a 59 chevy V8 by heart then you arn't worthy and part of the club. heck even I couldnt do that and I've worked on cars sicne I was a kid. Thank the gods for technical manuals.

Of course my wife and an ex girlfriend are part of the problem that persists the stereotype. My ex-gf could put gas in the car and drive it but anythign else and she had to call someone. (I mean ANYTHING else going wrong with it she once drove with no transmission fluid in it for about 100 miles and then asked me why the car was not running right.) My wife is a bit better she can actually put the gas in and tell when somethign isnt running right but thats about it.

Comment

My level of automotive competence about matches your wife's, Rahmota. I simply do not have any mechanical talent. I can do a fair amount with a computer (could have probably done the physical install of my new hard drive if I'd had to, but preferred to let DH handle the hardware), but with cars, I can cope with gas, coolant, wiper blades, and "dear, it sounds funny|the temperature's above normal|it's not acting right, please check it out?". Fortunately, DH is a lot better at cars than I am.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I've had to deal with that before. I love old muscle cars and used to have a 75 Ford Maverick until last year that I restored myself. Most of the people in the auto shop knew me, but occasionally I'd get a live one. I once walked in and asked a new guy questions about some fancy wiper blades, and he looked me up and down (I can get kinda Fairy-Princessed out at times) and sneeringly told me to have my 'boyfriend' come in and get them because I wouldn't be able to relay all of the information properly.

Boy I hauled off on him, pointed at my car outside, told him it was my car *NOT MY BOYFRIEND'S* and I had not only replaced the wiper blades before, I'd replaced the fuel filter, brake pads and rotors, entire headlights, radiator, gave it a transmission flush, put new bumpers on it, restored the interior and the trim, painted it, and attached the racing hood myself, among other things, and if he ever spoke to me like that again I was going to run it through a car wash with him tied to the roof.

The manager---who was very familiar with me---was standing abuot 10 feet away and when he heard my little tirade he literally roared with laughter. After I had got my new wiper blades and was walking away I heard him tell the new guy that "all the guys here are in love with her---she knows more about cars than anybody we know."
                      Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Not long after we were married my wife said "The oil in my car needs changing?" My reply was "Then change it." It's not hard and generally only takes two tools and depending up the car about 20 minutes. My Dad made sure all us kids (boys and girls) knew how to change the oil in the tractors. Oh and the cars.
                        Unless the filter I need isn't on the shelve I don't even ask I look up the appropriate car in the cross-reference manual and get my filter. I have found it pays to use high-quality filters or all types.
                        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Tanasi that wouldnt work with my wife. She can do wonders with needle and thread but hand her a wrnech and she could cause more havoc than not. Though she has gotten better since we got married.

TPG: I have a mental image of galadriel darksiding out from LOTR from what you described. Very appropriate.

Seanette: Soudns like the way it works at home. I fix things around here if its mechanical or electrical, the wife makes sure we can actually eat the food (I can cook survival rations and burnt) and stay clothed and healthy among a bazillion and one other thigns around here that I cannot appreciate her enough for.
                          Last edited by Rahmota; 12-19-2006, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
                            Seanette: Sounds like the way it works at home. I fix things around here if its mechanical or electrical, the wife makes sure we can actually eat the food (I can cook survival rations and burnt) and stay clothed and healthy among a bazillion and one other things around here that I cannot appreciate her enough for.
                            Yep, that's about the way things work in my household. Seems to be a good team, since each of us covers the other's weak points.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                            X