This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Aid Fail

So this was a story I heard today whilst eavesdropping on some fellow students during lunch. I'm calling it a sighting because someone saw it happen.

Back Story: Those of you who know first aid know what I am talking about. Pretty much you hold the kids head in your hand, face down((not smothering)), gently, while resting the rest of the body on your arm and your arm on your leg, and gently pat the back with three swift blows. And the CPR is similar only facing the infant up and gently pressing the sternum with two fingers and alternating that and the back blows. If I remember correctly, please correct if I am mistaken, its been 2 years.
    This(the CPR) can cause slight bruising when done correctly, as all CPR can, though doesn't normally result in broken ribs like adult CPR.

So this guy was talking to his friend about his first aid class. Apparently yesterday they were doing infant first aid. And this lady, in the middle of class, stands up and starts yelling at the teacher. She blatantly REFUSES to do this CPR, says that it is child abuse, says that if she ever sees ANYONE doing it she will call CPS on them and have them arrested. In fact she is tempted to call CPS on the teacher for telling people to ABUSE their children. ETC.
    The teacher then tells her to (I quote the man)"Get the FUCK out" of her class and that she will be receiving a Failing grade for the quarter.

Thought I'd share.
    Last edited by Dips; 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM. Reason: we don't need permission to move a post, thanks
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

Hmm, because letting your child CHOKE TO DEATH would NOT be abuse!

Has she never taken that class before???
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I really, really hope that woman is incapable of having children.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

This "lady" clearly is a nutjob.

The most common cause of cardiac arrest in children is respiratory arrest. Correct the cause, and you get the kid back. It is actually more likely to resuscitate a child because of this. Adults usually have underlying pathology that is difficult to correct even when CPR is done correctly.

Sad.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

what an idiot

personally... well to be honest i wish she HAD called CPS on the instructor.
          that way she could be told from the source that she was a complete idiot
          and then the instructor could file charges against her too

or so that's how i'd like to imagine it...

Comment

Were I teaching the class, I'd have lent her my phone for the purpose.
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Glad I wasn't the only one who was like What the HELL?! when I heard this. lol
              "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
              -Red

Comment

seeing a stranger doing this to a child without seeing the choking beforehand i can understand being miscontrued.

However seeing it being done in a first aid class by a trained proffessional, the only excuse is the IQ of an eggplant, a paticularly stupid eggplant.

Comment

Wow. The fail is strong with that one.

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
                  ....as all CPR can, though doesn't normally result in broken ribs like adult CPR.
                  Slightly off topic rant, but this is my biggest pet peeve with medical shows. They always do this wussy rendition of CPR. Now, I know they can't go around breaking extras' ribs, but for gosh sake's, get a dummy and do it right.

Also, an infant's skeleton is still mostly cartiledge, which is much harder to break than an adult bone.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post

Slightly off topic rant, but this is my biggest pet peeve with medical shows. They always do this wussy rendition of CPR. Now, I know they can't go around breaking extras' ribs, but for gosh sake's, get a dummy and do it right.
                    Haha! I know ^_^ A bit off topic, but totally agree there! The Beau and I always yell at the TV about that during medical shows.
                    -Red

Comment

Children are REALLY resiliant! When I was little, my best friend's baby sister got rolled over by the tires of the family van. She was back home the next day, not even a bruise! Superbaby! Though being little kids, we were scared because we didn't know that.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

VERY lucky the car rolled over the body. Girl I went all through school with, her older sister let her baby crawl around outside while they were fixing the car on an incline....without blocks behind the wheels. Rolled over its head.
                        ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

There is no underestimating

the stupidity of some people. I am willing to bet this woman IS a mother (moooooo).

Comment

When I took first aid, the teacher said when you perform this on a baby, it's best to get the baby's mother to go somewhere else, because it can scare her and if she demands you stop, legally you have to. I can't imagine not helping a choking baby because of a law, or being a mother who thought she was helping her baby and her baby died because of what she did.
                            It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                            -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

She's probably the kind of nutjob that takes that class just so she can stand up and scream at that part.

Comment

Working...
                              X