This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old bag at the movies

I took my son to see "The Tooth Fairy" last Sunday. Pretty cute movie for the little ones, even though it costs over $20 just for tickets, snacks and a drink. However, I digress being I had an experience with a rude old bag prior to going inside the theater.

For some reason, the ticket kiosks were not working. This is where you can put your credit or ATM card in and buy tickets without waiting in line. The line wasn't too bad, so I got behind this old bag with her old bag friend. As we were waiting, it was obvious they are snowbirds from upper New York, because I could overhear the normal bitching and complaining that they all do when they're here, from "everything in New York is better than here" to "I can't believe they charge $x.xx for movie tickets!"

Now, what happened next was one lady at the booth said "Next!" and both ladies stepped ahead. A second or so later, another lady in the booth said "Next!" and I started to proceed to the counter. I told the lady what movie we wanted to see, and she started to ring me up. Well, old bag then started shoving her purse over, nearly knocking my ATM card out of the way and said, "Excuse me, young man (I hate being called that!), but I was here first and it's my turn." Thankfully, I had already handed the lady in the booth my card and she was already getting me my tickets. What did I do or say? I said nothing, but I just glared at her where I was hoping laser beams would shoot out of my eyes and melt that rude exterior of hers.

It was pretty strange to me being both of these ladies (if they can both be called ladies) went to get their tickets together, then this old bag decides to pull this. And, one of these days when one of these people starts out with "young man", perhaps I should say something like, "Oh, it's OK you old bag!"

Wait, you can get tickets and food for twenty bucks? Just regular tickets cost $9.50 in western New York. I'd hate to think what they cost in the City.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

That's got to be on of the most entitled SCs I've read about yet! It's the same as if you were having your groceries scanned and getting ready to pay and she started yanking your groceries off the belt! What a piece of work! You were obviously there first; only thing I can think of is she was too impatient to wait for her friend to finish.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        Wait, you can get tickets and food for twenty bucks? Just regular tickets cost $9.50 in western New York. I'd hate to think what they cost in the City.
        I did say it was over twenty bucks. However, that is a bargain being I normally buy one popcorn and one drink for both of us to share. That's being economic.

Comment

I wait until Tuesdays, and go to the Local Cineplex, which has ticket costs slashed from 10-12$ down to 4.20$ (or 7.95$ if you want a medium popcorn and drink too)

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
            I wait until Tuesdays, and go to the Local Cineplex, which has ticket costs slashed from 10-12$ down to 4.20$ (or 7.95$ if you want a medium popcorn and drink too)
            I am SO lucky (and spoiled). We have a Pub Cinema just a couple of blocks from us (Pacific Northwest US). Granted, you have to wait an extra 3 - 4 weeks to see a movie (usually when it's about to be released to DVD), as they aren't the most recently released. But they cost $3 for a ticket (and the local retail magazine always has a buy one get one free offer each month), And popcorn and sodas are less expensive than other places as well. And if you want to splurge out, you can get a resonably priced meal (burritos, wraps, that sort of thing - or awesome desserts to share) and even wine or beer at some showings. Plus the fact that they have tables keeps the seats further apart and less noise from others to bother your movie time.

Can't remember the last time I went to a first run cinama. Using a coupon, DH and I can see a movie and share a large popcorn and soda for under $10.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

The movie theatre near me has one free refill on all popcorn and drinks above a certain size. They have in the past allowed me to have the original and the refill at the same time and just marked both as being a refill. There is a deal with 2 drinks and one thing of popcorn for around 10 dollars and all three items come with a refill. I've never asked but I don't think it would be too big of an issue to get the refills and originals at the same time thus giving me 2 things of popcorn and 4 drinks for around 10 bucks and that would do 4 people probably. The best part is there's nothing shady or dishonest about it, so if the theatres near you will allow it, it could save you a little money. Also Canadians go to scene.ca you can get a card to get 10% percent of snacks and store up points for a movie they even have a debit or credit card with scotia bank.
              Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
              Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

For $20 from costco we get two tickets, two drinks and a large popcorn... that is the only way we go to the movies...no way I am paying more than that.
                I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

i think the AMC here charges 7 something, tho that might be for the matinee
                  oh. yeah it is 9.50 for regular adult prices.
                  everything else - senior, matinee, child is 7.50

Comment

I get discount tickets at work, $5....although in recent years, the bigger budget type movies or the most anticipated ones (read: the ones we really want to go see!) have not been accepting discount tickets or tickets purchased elsewhere (like where I work, or even like Fandango).

We also have a budget theater downtown that shows movies that are.....well, a month or two or more since premiere, for just a couple of bucks...but it's a dump.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                      one of these days when one of these people starts out with "young man", perhaps I should say something like, "Oh, it's OK you old bag!"
                      I would die for a chance to say that to some mean old hag just once.
                      ......../\
                      ....../__\
                      ..../\...../\
                      ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                        I get discount tickets at work, $5....although in recent years, the bigger budget type movies or the most anticipated ones (read: the ones we really want to go see!) have not been accepting discount tickets or tickets purchased elsewhere (like where I work, or even like Fandango).
                        That's the nice thing about the tickets from Costco. They're actual tickets, and not passes or the like. They are good for all showings except you'll have to pay a bit extra at the box office if you want to see 3d or IMAX.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

We just go and see movies before 6 p.m. so we get the matinee price, which is $6.50 a ticket.

We also live a short distance away from several Dollar Saver theaters, and they are usually showing several movies which have recently left the theaters. On Tuesdays tickets are only $1.75 so if they have a movie we want to see that's when we go.

Comment

Working...
                          X