Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You young 'uns don't know what work is!

Reading another thread I got reminded of this gem.

In College I was in a shop off campus, at about dinner time, just buying a snack when I yawned, which was not good enough for this cranky old guy.

COG: "You young ones don't know what real work is"

In my head I thought "Ex-bloody scuse me"

I then informed him of my current situation.

In college 1 day a week 9-4.
    Rest of the week working 8-12 in the morning and then 5pm-11 at night work experience

Weekend working either Saturday Mornings and Sunday nights (7-12 and 5-11) OR Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings (Same times again really) and that i always tended to work Saturday nights and sunday mornings, as a favour to the other guy, since i don't go out parting.

For all of that work, I only got paid for working the weekends.

All the old guy could do was huff and walk out
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

People like that piss me off! They love to brag about how lazy we are now and how things were soooooo much harder in their day and age. They just want to feel tougher so they say this crap about how harder things were back in their day and how lucky we are now.

Sorry to derail, but I've had my fair share of that attitude, and it's all a crock of shit.

Comment

Well, things were more difficult back then--my great-grandparents worked on their farm, from sunup to sundown 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Very little time off, and I don't remember my grandmother ever bitching about it. She was though, resentful of not being allowed to go to college. At the time, it simply didn't happen, never mind that it would have been completely paid for

With that said, if someone bitched to me that I was lazy, I'm sure I'd light into them. Up until recently, I was working 7 days a week. I'd leave for work around 7am, get home around 6-6:30 Monday through Friday. Weekends were always spent helping my grandmother take care of her farm. Did I mention that I'd leave for the farm sometime after dinner on Friday...with a 60-mile trip ahead of me? I'd work for her doing odd jobs, and then drive back home for work on Monday. Didn't get paid for that at all, other than home-cooked meals. Grandma's been trying to "fatten me up" for 30 years

But, there are people like my boss, who claim that "I'm not busy" if some task doesn't get done. Excuse me? I've been running my ass off...filing reports, fixing the server, working on the inventory, getting things for the interns to do, etc. while you're sitting on *your* ass...deciding where you want to go on vacation? Fuck you!

He's one of those people, who doesn't really do much. If there's a task to be done, he gets someone else to do it. Also, he tries to play the "self-made man" card a bit too much. He's never been poor. He has no idea what it's like to start with nothing, and work hard for things.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
        COG: "You young ones don't know what real work is"
        Best answer: "And I hope I never do. My real goal in life is to be lazier still, and not come to work at all...."

Comment

I always get people sort of like that. They put in their wake-up calls for hours such as 4:30 or 5am, and have an attitude like, "Yeah, it's early, but I have to work, I'm busy, I'm a go-getter, I have meetings, and I'm awesome because I get up early to go to them, while you are lazy and sleep in."

They are completely deflated when I reply, "I know how that is. I get up at 2am every day of the week for my second job." Whoops, did I burst your bubble?
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I'd have to reply, "Sir, Slack is my religion. I'd have to recommend to you that once you get Saved, REPENT, QUIT YOUR JOB, and SLACK OFF!"

Yeah, it's true that we work fewer hours, definitely. But we work with the Corporate Mentality, and dealing with that kind of "2+2=5 and you'd better not forget it" stuff makes you think about baling hay by hand and making your own soap and clothes. Happiness is really relative, you know? No one knows what other people are going through, and it sucks to make assumptions.

In that guy's day, you could work a regular week as a clerk and actually support a family and buy a house.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              Well, things were more difficult back then--my great-grandparents worked on their farm, from sunup to sundown 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Very little time off, and I don't remember my grandmother ever bitching about it. She was though, resentful of not being allowed to go to college. At the time, it simply didn't happen, never mind that it would have been completely paid for
              And here I thought you were going to talk about having to hike 20 miles in the snow, uphill in both directions, for a nickel a day.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                And here I thought you were going to talk about having to hike 20 miles in the snow, uphill in both directions, for a nickel a day.
                Well, just so you won't be disappointed.

Back when I was in school we had to walk to school uphill both ways and do our homework by candlelight, after we got though herding the cows and reaping the crops.

But from some of the things I hear that kids in school today have to do and deal with, I'm glad I had it easy. I wouldn't want to deal with what today's kids deal with.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Ugh, at work a couple weeks ago about 9 pm I yawned and this customer says, "Is your job boring you? At least you have one!"

I said, "No, I'm not bored, I've just been up since 5 am."

Hah.
                  https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    And don't leave out the part about how Grandpa killed a grizzly bear with a loose-leaf notebook.

People who want to make assumptions that others are lazy are just stupid in my book. And I've encountered a few of those myself.

Hey, not only do I work a full time job doing stuff you wouldn't dream of doing, I still have to go home and take care of a house pretty much by myself and look after both a physically handicapped mom and mentally challenged sibling. I'm having to do cooking, washing, vacuuming, mopping floors, dusting furniture, take Mom something to drink every little bit . . . so if you'd like, why don't we trade places and see if you can juggle it all better?

And don't get me started on why I didn't get to go to college . . .that's a different rant I'll save for later.

Nobody wants to hear my mouth . . . so it would be easier for these jerks to just shut their traps and take their sorry selves down the road.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

You guys are worrying me, when I volunteered at a VA nursing home through my teens, all my extra grandpas told me I worked too hard.....Never heard the one about choking a bear with a notebook, but I did hear one about having to sleep with a hammer to beat down the raccoons that tried to crawl in bed with you. Oh, oh, and the outhouse stories! OMG, I don't know if they're too gross but one involved some critter that fell into the pit ( I think an opossum) and they couldn't use it, only the chamber pots and dump those in. Cause the opossum couldn't get out, but he yanked on the dad's weiner and everyone was too scared to sit on it til the thing was dead.

Whether they're true or not, they're good stories.
                      ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

My next door asshole neighbor tries that shit with me when I come home at 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon. "Is that all you ever do is party?" or "Drinking again last night? Hyuck hyuck!"

Fuck off douchebag. I work NIGHT shift 5 nights a week (sometimes even 6 when they make us) most of the time 10 or 12 hour shifts because of overtime....and the best part of all....I don't even really go out that much anymore to drink. Sure I'll have a few at the bowling alley or a restaurant or we may go out for a few after the movies....but I don't go out all night anymore.

Being as I'd like to somewhat keep routine going, I won't go to bed until late on Friday or Saturday morning and I do have a tendency to sleep in. It keeps me regular, mmkay dumbass?
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          Back when I was in school we had to walk to school uphill both ways and do our homework by candlelight, after we got though herding the cows and reaping the crops.
                          "Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah."

It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Heck I used to do the 2 job thing. I worked 2d shift 4 nights and one morning shift (=40+ hours per week) at the gas station, worked 3 closing shifts and 3 lunch shifts delivering (= 30 to 35 hours) for a few years (a few years ago). People would wonder how I could do that at my age (at the time I was 45).

I hate to say this but I can still run circles around the 20 somethings. They mostly complain they do not get enough hours, but when they do they whine that they have WORK SOOOOOOO MUUUUUUCCCCHHHHHH

It is called discipline and insanity AND the need for $$$'s after the Ex mostly cleaned me out when she left.
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

About this time last year I lived 3.25 miles from work and lived at the bottom of a hill, and work was on the other side of the hill and my bike was broken. I walked every night I worked to and from work.

So one day when my grandpa was complaining about how I don't work enough I looked him in the eye and said "I walk 6.5 miles every night in the dark, in the snow to work, uphill BOTH goddamn ways. And by the way, my boots have holes in them too."

He quieted down after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X