This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    The closest I ever got was a BritLit teacher who was open-minded -- her philosophy was "If you can back up what you're saying [with evidence from the text], you're right, even if I disagree with you completely"
    That is quite a rare trait, too.
    Later I was in a research group with that professor and when we published our lowly student names appeared too. I've heard other stories were professors would take the work of their students unacknowledged. We had a great time in that group, a lot of work sometimes, but still fun, because you knew your work was appreciated. Our topic was environmental education, how to get lay people - non-biologists, non-chemists etc. - to care and to gather valid knowledge about environmental problems.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
      It depends a lot on the personality, one professor of mine got suspicious when someone called him Prof. XYZ. He was a such darling: "Now disagree with me already, I'm not always right!"
      I'd take that more as him preferring a less formal title, but not knowing him my opinion is suspect. I find that some profs/instructors can pull off that informality very well, whereas others just end up being the worst instructor ever when they try. (Letting students disagree with you, especially in arts courses, is good. Forgetting that you have more training than they do and more experience is bad. Assuming that said training and experience means that you're never wrong is even worse).

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
        That is quite a rare trait, too.
        Later I was in a research group with that professor and when we published our lowly student names appeared too. I've heard other stories were professors would take the work of their students unacknowledged. We had a great time in that group, a lot of work sometimes, but still fun, because you knew your work was appreciated. Our topic was environmental education, how to get lay people - non-biologists, non-chemists etc. - to care and to gather valid knowledge about environmental problems.
        http://www.copyright.gov/
        http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Sucks to be that professor if you understand how to copywrite your material.

And if you need one, I am friends with a patent office examiner here in the US.

Any article I wrote for any publication in the SCA, and all my various papers from college are protected =) and when I go back, the future papers will be as well. In a publish or perish milleau, cover your paper ass is very pertinant!
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

We always called him Mr. XYZ. He always used the formal mode, but first name. (In German we have two modes of addressing people, just like in French.) To be honest, it would have been difficult for me to address him by first name, out of respect. He was a great teacher and a great person.
          In those 101 and 201 classes he would make us think, and thus made us understand the theories much better. Disagreeing was harder, of course, because we lacked the knowledge, but it was never discouraged. Even if we were wrong, he used it to deepen our understanding. His teaching style was unique, but very effective for me. Others hated it and changed course quickly.

In that research group we all had our special fields, but we all acknowledged his greater experience in theory and methods of biology education. The whole atmosphere was that of peers, because everyone had something to contribute. Us students knew the current biology better. My main interests were plant communities and how to use computers to simulate changes. That made me the computer geek of the group. We had two ornithomanicaslogists, the rest of the group (including the prof) weren't really interested in birds, so those two were the resident birders. And others had other topics of interest.
          I learned a lot in that group, not just didactics, but openess to new ideas and how not to be in love with your own ideas, so that you'd never ever give them up.

I completely agree with you, Magpie. Quality of teaching has nothing to do with formality/informality, but everything with the attitude of the teacher/prof.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post

Any article I wrote for any publication in the SCA, and all my various papers from college are protected =) and when I go back, the future papers will be as well. In a publish or perish milleau, cover your paper ass is very pertinant!
            I never was after a career at an university, so publish or perish isn't an issue for me. And even so, my name is there. The profs who cheated their students found themselves soon out of students.

German copyright laws are a bit different I think, once you write or paint or make it, it's yours, the problem is proving that it's yours. I'm too lazy to look it up, so don't quote me on it.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
              http://www.copyright.gov/
              http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

In the US the Copyright Office is part of the Library of Congress, not the US Patent and Trademark Office. Most patent examiners do not know much about copyrights as it is not part of their training. I retired from the US Patent Office after working there for 21½ years. I now work as a Patent Agent.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
              X