Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How not to tighten your tie...Managerial "hang" ups.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to tighten your tie...Managerial "hang" ups.

I was reading another post about ribbons and found myself suddenly reminded of something funny.

When I worked for Moore's (they're gone now. New company bought em out) as management, I was required to wear a tie. Every bleeding day... a tie. At first I wore these very nice silk ties, some with tabasco things on them, others with snoopy, and a few mickey mouse ones. However after one little incident with a simple cheap blue tie...I changed to wearing bow ties. Here's the story of how I nearly hanged myself with my tie.

I don't remember much about the day itself, it's been ten years or so now, but I remember that I'd been stuck working non stop in the Men's department. When I came in that day, I'd spilled something on my tie (at lunch) and had to swap it out with a cheap blue polyester tie bought off the racks. After getting a good knot, I turned and went about my work.

I don't remember how exactly it happened, I've often thought that I was leaning into a dressing room to hand something to the girl inside who was changing the lights, but to be honest I really don't know; but in the end it doesn't matter. As I turned to walk from the dressing room, I suddenly feel this tightening about my neck, and manage to emit a soft "HURK!" as i come up short. I slipped, and fell, with my tie pulling taut. M, the manager at the store, claimed I had turned blue and looked ready to pass out by the time he got me out of the door.

I remember he sent me home after that and I talked hoarsely for a few weeks afterward. From that day on, I never wore another tie that could get caught in anything. It was Bow Ties for me from then on.

Even now, I have a really hard time wearing a normal tie. Guess I still have memories of being throttled by my neckwear.
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Quoth repsac View Post
    ... very nice silk ties, some with tabasco things on them,
    OMG, was it the dragon? I LOVE that one, my husband used to wear it to interviews. He'd tuck the end inside his waistcoat (it's high tech, he can get away with being odd) if it was a conservative company.

Comment

Haha, a former coworker once leaned over a little too close to the shredder and...

that chewed up tie is still tacked to the cork board in the office.
      "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."

Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.

Comment

I had trouble when I had to stop wearing ties from the dress code change. I wasn't used to it, and felt like I was forgetting something all the time.

Basically I solved it by wearing shirts with tight collars under my work shirt on cold days.

I don't remember almost strangling with a tie on, though I remember an angry SC grabbing my tie and pulling. (I was so young and inexperienced in the workplace that I remember threatening him because of it.)
        Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
          As I turned to walk from the dressing room, I suddenly feel this tightening about my neck, and manage to emit a soft "HURK!" as i come up short. I slipped, and fell, with my tie pulling taut. M, the manager at the store, claimed I had turned blue and looked ready to pass out by the time he got me out of the door.
          At one time in my life I was very fond of wearing clip-on ties. I gave up wearing any ties, except for certain interviews, when causal Fridays expanded to fill the week.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

According to the men's fashion critics for the Oscar's.... bowties are making a comeback. You're stylin' now!
            Make a list of important things to do today.
            At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
            Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
              . bowties are making a comeback. You're stylin' now!
              Ever so thank you, Ed Asner and Pixar for giving us a hero who wears a bowtie!

I'm reminded of a time back in high school when a friend went to get a drink of water from the fountain and nearly killed himself when his ID lanyard got caught on the fountain as he stood back up.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                I talked hoarsely for a few weeks afterward.

A few weeks, you say?
                My goodness, that must have been one hell of a strong cheap tie, and one hell of a tug on your neck to cause that kind of damage.

No wonder you switched to a bowtie.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Had a friend years ago that had to wear a tie for work as a teacher. When he got a new tie, he'd tie it loosely, then cut it in the back. He'd sew up the ends, then add velcro to the cut ends. Quick and easy to put on, and nobody knew.

When I asked him why he did it that way, his response was "First graders are a lot stronger than you realize..."
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                    Ever so thank you, Ed Asner and Pixar for giving us a hero who wears a bowtie!

I'm reminded of a time back in high school when a friend went to get a drink of water from the fountain and nearly killed himself when his ID lanyard got caught on the fountain as he stood back up.
                    Nah...George Will....

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                      Had a friend years ago that had to wear a tie for work as a teacher. When he got a new tie, he'd tie it loosely, then cut it in the back. He'd sew up the ends, then add velcro to the cut ends. Quick and easy to put on, and nobody knew.

When I asked him why he did it that way, his response was "First graders are a lot stronger than you realize..."

That is a ridiculously good idea!
                      "All god does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring." - Invisible Monsters

"The only thing stronger than fear is hope." - Suzanne Collins

Comment

insanely creative!

and the bow-tie reminds me of one of the teachers at my college. i dont know why but he always wears a bow tie. bout the only other thing i know about him was that he had a heart attack a couple of years ago... not sure if the tie has anything to do with that tho. easy access for emts?

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                          Had a friend years ago that had to wear a tie for work as a teacher. When he got a new tie, he'd tie it loosely, then cut it in the back. He'd sew up the ends, then add velcro to the cut ends. Quick and easy to put on, and nobody knew. When I asked him why he did it that way, his response was "First graders are a lot stronger than you realize..."
                          I'm pretty sure there's a company that sells those now.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            bout the only other thing i know about him was that he had a heart attack a couple of years ago... not sure if the tie has anything to do with that tho. easy access for emts?
                            Doesn't make any dot of difference at all - either can (and will) be cut off with shears should that be needed.
                            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              I'm pretty sure there's a company that sells those now.
                              Why not? Good way to make a few bucks. It's going to be a niche or novelty product, safety concerns aside, but might be a viable business idea.
                              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                              X