This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop, Thief!!

I was at my local Kroger, getting some groceries. Now, normally, I go through the self checkout because it's quicker for me, and I generally don't have an entire cartload of crap. Plus I bring my own bags and I like them packed a certain way.

well, the SCO was malfunctioning today, all four registers, plus the computer that the attendant uses to fix problems. So I have to scoot down to the express lane. (Side note, LOVE how this Kroger sets up this signage, rather than the 15 Items or less/fewer they state Express Lane: 1-15 items only. Dunno why, but that tends to cut down on people trying to shove cartloads of crap into the express lane.

A guy is standing in front of me with a newspaper to purchase. Now, the line is pretty long, because all of the people who were at the SCO flocked over, so it's taking the poor cashiers a little longer to get people through. He steps out of line, and heads over to the ice freezer, which is directly across from the lane we're in and right next to the door. He looks at the ice freezer, then looks at the door. Then looks at the ice freezer, then looks at the door. I can see where this is going, and so can the lady in front of me. She mutters "Is he really going to..?"

Yes, he is. He opens the freezer, grabs a huge bag of ice, and furtively looks at the door. At this point, I decide, what the hell, none of the employees are watching him, so I might as well get someone's attention...

In a loud voice, I shout across the store:

"EXCUSE ME, SIR!! WOULD YOU LIKE YOUR SPOT BACK IN LINE IN FRONT OF ME TO PAY FOR YOUR ICE AND NEWSPAPER!? IT'S ONLY 2 ITEMS, I DON'T MIND WAITING AN EXTRA MINUTE!!"

His eyes about bug out of his head, and he takes off running out of the store, so he did successfully steal the newspaper and ice. But a couple employees went after him. Sadly, I didn't see if they caught him, as I was next in line and the employee tried to bag my tomatoes underneath my gallon of milk. And after all was said and done, she forgot to bag my eggplant!

So, yeah. I was amused, even if it did piss me off a bit that he decided to take advantage of the chaos, and all for a bag of ice and a newspaper.

The woman in front of me thought it was hilarious, and joked, saying if it was that easy, she should just take her stuff off the belt and do it, too. I just stared at her. Watching her fidget was fun.

Good job.

I've had people steal kitty litter. And once had someone steal all the pringle lids. I'm no longer shocked on what people steal.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
      Good job. I've had people steal kitty litter. And once had someone steal all the pringle lids. I'm no longer shocked on what people steal.
      I don't get it. I'd want the chips, not the lids. Lupo, you're my hero.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        I don't get it. I'd want the chips, not the lids. Lupo, you're my hero.
        The lids are about the size of a can, so if you have something like tinned tomatos or whatever, pringle lids=free reusable lid.

Basically it's people who can't be arsed to fork out a couple of dollars for said lids. (My mum used to use them for cat food, now we have the tiny containers)
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
          The lids are about the size of a can, so if you have something like tinned tomatos or whatever, pringle lids=free reusable lid.

Basically it's people who can't be arsed to fork out a couple of dollars for said lids. (My mum used to use them for cat food, now we have the tiny containers)
          Huh... never thought about using Pringles lids for that. We have a small stash of lids that the vet gets from pet food co's...

SirWired

Comment

Really?! Ice and a newspaper?! Did he need them THAT badly or something?

And she tried to put tomatoes under the milk?! What store is it, and who was the employee. I can let the CSM know that the cashier needs to learn how to bag groceries.

Oh and I feel those cashiers pain about SCO breaking down. Had that happen a couple of times in the past. Tis no bueno.

Comment

Way to go!

Comment

A few years ago, I was on self checkout, and a guy tried to walk by carrying a 24-pack of beer. I noticed he didn't have a receipt, so I asked him kindly to show it.

"Oh," came the response, "they didn't give me one (over at liquor department)."

Strangely, he stood there and waited while I said, "Hold on, I'll just call them to verify they rang you up."

It wasn't until I actually told the man that the liquor department claimed not to have rung him up, and was sending someone over, that he bolted and ran...

...with Security Guy chasing him...

...over to a little girl's bicycle...

..which he got on... and MADE HIS ESCAPE!

Needless to say, we didn't keep Security Guy much longer after that. I, however, got to keep my job, since I didn't chase him.
                Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Holy crap you're awesome.

Comment

I remember commenting to Mom on some random shopping trip, "You know? I've always wondered how smart it is to put the ice freezer by the doors in a grocery store... I mean, it'd be really simple, that far from any workers, to just reach in and grab a bag of ice... or to just walk right by them after paying for one... and then again, I think, if you're that hard up that you're stealing ice... I say you should just let them have it."
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I remember once, before I got a job at my convience store, my neighbor would go to the ice box outside the store, and jsut take a bag of ice. This kid was like, 8 I think. Everyday. Just to eat it.

So what a shock it was that when I had him and his brother over to play DnD, my pokemon games came up missing. Thankfully his brother belived me and gave them back to me.

Yeah. Friends with people half my age. What a loser.
                      Military Spouse Support.
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Zoom View Post

......wow that's hilarious!

Comment

What about the plants stores usually keep outside...what's keeping people from stealing those I wonder......
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                            What about the plants stores usually keep outside...what's keeping people from stealing those I wonder......
                            One of our Regional general store chains kinda like a super walmart puts their clearance stuff outside with nobody watching it, even at night. Found out they want you to still it because they get to right it off as stolen for the full value instead of the clearance price that they losing money on.

So some items they intend for you to steal, others they hope you honest it really hard to keep track of when your doing them a favor or not,
                            I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth Zoom View Post
                              that he bolted and ran...
                              ...with Security Guy chasing him...
                              Quoth SG15Z View Post
                              ......wow that's hilarious!
                              That reminded me of this scene from It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X