X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a Youth Event!

This one was relayed to me by my dad.

My brother is in a high school bowling league, and they had a meet yesterday at the bowling alley two towns over from us. This alley I've already talked about before when I posted about my grandmother's fall on their front steps (they've since fixed them). They do have a rather large snack bar and regular bar inside, but because it was a youth bowling tournament there was no beer or other alcoholic beverages being served.

My dad was buying a soda for my brother and some popcorn for him to munch on between frames when he sees one of the other parents come up to the snack and ask for two popcorns and two beers. The clerk behind the counter told him he could get the popcorn but because this was a youth bowling tournament there was no beer being served.

Well, this guy just FLIPPED. He rants and raves, saying things like "Well, what am I supposed to DRINK, then?" and "What's the point of having a bar when there's no beer?"

The clerk said that they couldn't sell him the beer because they had no way of knowing whether or not he was going to let his kid have a sip, or if he just left it out what would stop anyone else from helping themselves to it. Since in a sense that's serving to minors, that's a no-go.

The guy then leaves with a parting shot of "Well, just forget those popcorns then, you've just lost a sale!" and mutters something about how his money wasn't going into that clerk's pocket today.

My dad managed to hold his tongue through the whole ordeal, which I'm surprised at because he usually has a very low tolerance for asshattery.

But seriously? You're surrounded by high school kids. There was just a huge bust two days ago on an underage drinking party with 29 kids just about the age of the kids at the tournament, with many of the caught kids from the area. You really want to take that chance that somebody's kid -maybe your own- isn't going to be tempted to swipe a swig? And never mind the risk of trying to drive your kids home after a few...

Where I live, it's very common for venues to go dry if the event caters primarily to minors. Even if that's not the standard where your brother's tourney took place, there's no reason for the guy to go into SC mode just because he can't buy beer. It's not like there wasn't *anything* to drink, despite his attitude.

Comment

One man, buying TWO beers, at a youth event. That doesn't look weird at all, no sir! ...SC logic never ceases to amaze.

It seems like a pretty trashy thing to do to drink beer at a youth event, anyway
      !
      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Wow. I love my beer, but I'm not going to flip out if I have to go a couple hours without one. In fact, I do that every day at work. Granted, I've had a few days where it really would have been nice to have a beer or ten at my desk, but that's beside the point.

I still remember when a bar in a bowling alley was unheard of, at least around here. I don't know if the ones around here suspend alcohol sales during events like that, but I do know that during Rock and Bowl, you can't take any pitchers or more than one drink per person out of the bar area. And the first time you go into the bar, they card you and give you a wristband.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

A few years ago, my dad and I went to see a hardcore band live (yes, he listens to the same sort of stuff I listen to, which is nice when you have a family of people who are always demanding you shut your music off.) at a local bar. Since hardcore music tends to attract high school age kids, they allowed under 21s and under 18s in, but they put a big black X on their hand like bars tend to do, and gave over 21s a bright yellow wristband.

While they still sold alcohol - Dad and I sat at the back and had a few Sam Adams while watching the show - we weren't allowed to leave the bar with any alcohol, which was fine with us. I can't hardcore dance, and if I could, I'm too old to be doing that stuff any more. :-P
          Coworker: Distro of choice?
          Me: Gentoo.
          Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
            One man, buying TWO beers, at a youth event. That doesn't look weird at all, no sir! ...SC logic never ceases to amaze.

It seems like a pretty trashy thing to do to drink beer at a youth event, anyway
            I took my son to Playhouse Disney Live... they were serving $6 beers

Which were way cheaper than the $12 slushies

Comment

Quoth hawkchick11 View Post
              I took my son to Playhouse Disney Live...
              Somehow I misread that as Penthouse Disney Live. In which case the beers would make more sense.
              Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Funny enough, I read that as Playboy Disney Live.

Comment

Quoth Zoom View Post
                  Somehow I misread that as Penthouse Disney Live. In which case the beers would make more sense.
                  Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                  So we'd get to see "Minnie gets Goofy"?
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    So we'd get to see "Minnie gets Goofy"?
                    Isn't it "Mickey didn't say she was insane, he said that she was f#$%ing Goofy!"
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
                      The second one could very easily have been for his spouse or a friend.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                        I read that too.
                        If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

Working...
                        X