This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47% tip not enough?

This just happened last night, and I'm still sputtering a little about it.

Maybe we did something wrong, damned if I know ...

My sister works at a place that delivers buffalo wings and similar stuff (she's the phone girl and occasional assistant manager). She lets me and mom know when they have good specials going on. Last night we ordered one of these specials.

The total was $12.24. We gave the driver $18 even and enjoyed the sammishes very much.

That was a $5.76 tip, or about 47%.

After my sister got home, we asked if the driver liked the big tip. She said our driver was actually the manager, her boss. And when this manager went back to the restaurant, he told my sister "You've got to talk to your mom about these tips. It was only five dollars!"

This was me:

Instantly, I knew we'd never be ordering from them again. Mom wants to complain, but who to ? I don't exactly feel right whining to corporate because this guy said something ... grinchy. I think we should just protest with our wallets and just get pizza next time.

Really, was the tip too small??
    Stay away from those crooked elves! They look like women and they smell like hell.
    So if you would take my sound advice, keep a distance of at least ten feet.

That tip was half what you ordered, so damn good enough. What is he expecting? A twenty? Greeedy.

Comment

Sounds like it was said in a jokey way to me! Only 5 dollars, thats disgusting! I expected at least 10! Of course its a good tip.

Comment

That's what I was thinking, actually ... he wanted to hear "here's a 20, keep the change".

We live on the edge of a bad neighborhood, notorious for no tips and every few years, a delivery guy gets robbed. So we like to tip bigger than usual, maybe get our house remembered for generosity, I dunno.

Blah, it's their loss. See if they get christmas cookies again this year.

Edit: My sister said this guy doesn't really joke like that. If he said anything at all about it, then it truly must have bothered him.
        Last edited by paige; 12-16-2006, 08:51 PM.
        Stay away from those crooked elves! They look like women and they smell like hell.
        So if you would take my sound advice, keep a distance of at least ten feet.

Comment

Guy was a greedy asshat. Enough said.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Uh, I don't think he can legally accept tips, being the manager.

Maybe I misinterpreted this when it happened, but I had a manager help me prep a large take our order at the Olive Garden once. It was a lot of work, and I tried to split the tip with her. She thanked me, but refused it, saying that since she made a manager's wage and not a server's wage, she couldn't take it.

Comment

That manager is a Grade A Jerk. How much I tip, is based on how great a job they did.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

The supervisors at my work can't have tips either. Sucks for them but more for me... We all share our tips. It's cool because I end up with like a hundred dollars or so a week. But yeah, I don't think he was supposed to take tips much less bitch about it.

Comment

Wow, I always give the delivery drivers $4 tips for pizza delivery.

The only driver to piss me off was from Jimmy Johns. My DD wanted to do her first delivery order and payment so I was going to leave her a $20 so that she could pay for her $6 order and give the delivery person a $2 tip. She got there before I left and she said that she couldn't break a $20 so I dug around and found a $10. She then said that she couldn't break a $10 either - she had no change on her at all! She got to keep the extra $4 but I'm never ordering from JJs again.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

if he was serious, i wouldn't do anything. if your sister works there he might take it out on her.

Comment

Working...
                    X