This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein Irv causes arthritis and nearly witnesses elder abuse

This all happened at the local Wally World, particularly the Subway located therein, as I was picking up a sammich for lunch at work tomorrow.

Right in front of me in line was an older woman with an even older woman in a wheelchair. As I approached the counter to order, the older woman told me "My arthritis is acting up again. If it snows tomorrow I'm blaming you."

Me:

Older woman pointed at the Birkenstock sandal-clad feet peeking out from the frayed hems of my jeans and asked me "Sandals? In this weather? Aren't your feet cold?"

Me: I'm fine, thanks.

Seriously, it's almost 60 degrees outside! Lots of people are going out in shorts and flip flops. Can't a guy feel the wind between his toes for the first time in months without drawing the attention of some Confused Clarabell?

But that wasn't all. Older woman was trying to order food for the even older woman, who turned out to be her mother, and was getting frustrated because mother could only make noises vaguely resembling words, but none I could discern. "Dammit mother, what do you want already? These are cookies. Do you want a cookie? Would you like that? Then tell her (the girl behind the counter) what you want!"

At the cash register, mother evidently decided she wanted a soda. "Ah hell mother, you told me you weren't even thirsty! Now you want a soda! All right, fine!"

Soda was produced and given to the older woman, who then gave it to mom. "And don't you drop it!"

The two of them went someplace into the dining area as I picked up and paid for my sammich. Walking out the door, I heard a plop-splash. "GOD DAMMIT. WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU!" as I beat feet out the door.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

o__O

wow. i hope this woman didn't breed; i admit i get frustrated with elders sometimes, but never like that.

apparently, she wasn't too smart or just didn't care, but it sounds like mom had a stroke? if so, of course she can't talk very well (if it was severe enough) and has issues holding things.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

My grandmother does that to me. "Aren't you cold?"

Well, Nanna, no. If I was, though, I'd put on a sweater.

Dealing with old folks can drive you insane. Batshit insane. I know this from personal experience. But treating them like this is inexcusable.

I KNOW it's hard. And sad and horrible. There is no reason to be cruel to them. It's not like they voted to be infirm and feeble in mind and body.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        "My arthritis is acting up again. If it snows tomorrow I'm blaming you."
        I wonder if this was an attempt at humor?
        Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

I have to admit, every time we had a perfect day these past couple of months it'd snow a day or two afterwards. We recently had what my thermometer said was a 100° F day and today I dreamed of a blizzard...
          "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I'm with you, Irv. Lately after work, I ditch the icky closed toed shoes and put on the flip flops (unless I'm going to the gym) and last Saturday I wore shorts to the gym.....not pants with shorts to change into, but actually wore them outside and to the gym. I got a lot of funny looks for that.

And of course, I still have the nicest coworkers on earth who are STILL wearing their parkas and arctic climate coats even though it's been in the 30s and 40s at night lately.

"Aren't you FREEZING in that little spring jacket?" they cluck at me.

A true Wisconsinite will take complete advantage of mild early spring weather.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              My grandmother does that to me. "Aren't you cold?"

Well, Nanna, no. If I was, though, I'd put on a sweater.

Dealing with old folks can drive you insane. Batshit insane. I know this from personal experience. But treating them like this is inexcusable.
              Did we have the same grandmother? Mine would try to make me put on a sweater because SHE was cold, then get mad at me when I'd tell her I didn't need one.

Now that my mom is getting older, I feel at times like I'm trying to raise my grandmother all over again.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                Did we have the same grandmother? Mine would try to make me put on a sweater because SHE was cold, then get mad at me when I'd tell her I didn't need one.
                ...it's even better still when your aunt starts in on the act. *shakes head* Their heads would explode if they knew what I really put on at 50 F. (I don't bundle up until nearly 40 F. I was born in a snowy region. *shrug*)
                Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 03-22-2010, 03:43 AM. Reason: smilies make it all better
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  The classic definition of a sweater is something a kid has to put on when their mother gets cold.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

"Aren't you FREEZING in that little spring jacket?" they cluck at me.
                    likewise when i lived in virginia. after the short winter it would hit the 40s and the ship would be warm (still heated) inside. so when i went out i would enjoy the fresh cool air. my coat would be over my arm while my coworkers were wrapped in parkas. they couldn't understand why i wasn't freezing.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      my coat would be over my arm while my coworkers were wrapped in parkas. they couldn't understand why i wasn't freezing.
                      I had similar at college in northern Utah. I'm from one of the northern states, so I'm used to temperature drops. It was funny walking to class in late October wearing just a light jacket while watching all the southerners (usually from SoCal, it seemed) bundled up to their noses in their winter gear.

And then to hear the freshmen southerners complain about the snow....
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                      X