This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's NOT funny -- WARNING: Possibly disturbing

I work in an area where there was a recent sexual assault, close to my store. It's been highly publicized. So I'm working tonight and was just waiting at my store's food counter with a customer ahead of me. When it came to be my turn my cowrker told me the man had been making a joke about the assault victim, saying, "She deserved it, right?" I'm livid anyone would dare "joke" about it; one of my close reletives was kidnapped and raped at one time & I find it no laughing matter. Jerk.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Rape is never funny.
    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

That is wrong on so many levels, as rape is never funny.

Comment

'Sir, we reserve the right to serve customers, and you're an a$$hole not a customer. Goodbye.'

...I so wish your coworker could have said that.
        Make a list of important things to do today.
        At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
        Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Outrageous!

No one ever deserves to be raped. What a jerk!
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

If I'd have heard him say it, I'd have let him know it happened to my mom, and I don't think she deserved it, either.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I added a warning to the thread title, if not for your story, then for the one I'm about to tell.

My son and I witnessed this when we were coming home from visiting a friend, when we stopped off for a snack at Sheetz. As I've pointed out in a few of my other "sightings", that place is apparently a drunken asshole magnet.

My son and I had just ordered our food, when some noisy guy comes in and jokingly says, "I need some food quick! It's for my drunk, pregnant wife!"

It would have been bad enough if it had stopped there, but it didn't. After the guy put in his food order, he went up to the counter to buy a couple packs of cigarettes. I don't know of the clerk had the same inappropriate sense of humor or if he was just trying to be nice, but I really wish he hadn't encouraged him. He chucked and asked, "Are these for your drunk pregnant wife too?"

Without missing a beat, the guy said, "Nah, she doesn't need them! She smoked a whole bunch of crack! She's trying to kill her unborn fetus!"

As soon as our food came, we got the hell out of there, walking past the "wife" in question. I couldn't tell if she was really drunk, or if she was even pregnant. I'm hoping that at the most, she was one but not the other, and the guy was completely making stuff up.

I'm just glad my wife wasn't along. She lost a baby once, back before I started seeing her, completely through no fault of her own. She did everything she was supposed to do, and even the doctors didn't know what went wrong. She would have been quite upset if she'd heard that idiot.

I have a pretty warped sense of humor myself, but seriously, there are some things you just don't joke about.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

wow, when i hear about this level of insensitivity/stupidity, i wonder if the perpetrators have anything upstaird beyond a brainstem.

just wtf. i agree, mike, there are some subjects that are fully off limits.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

i can never understand why people find rape funny. A friend of mine was raped when she was 5 and that sh*t is never funny. EVER! I had a few friends who had a wicked sense of humor like that. You can better belive I am not friends with them anymore.
                  And with the drunk pregnant wife, WTF?! It is because of people like that that I have lost all hope in humanity. STUPID PEOPLE SHOULD, IN NO WAY, PROCREATE! I feel so bad for those kids, it makes me happy to know that my older sister is a social worker and is trying to help those kids.

Dear people of the world,
                  If you find rape, moelestation, or any form thereof funny, please join me in the Mohave (sp?) Dessert for what we shall call, "Burning Men." Instead of burning a giant man of wood, we're just gonna pile you all in the center of a giant fire ring and hand you all containers of lighter fluid and matches. Smoking is encouraged while in the ring, as is drinking, for the ash and fumes should be enough to keep you all lit for a good 3 days or so.
                  Thank you and I hope to see you there. Don't worry, if you miss it, we'll keep having it until people finally learn to either: keep their comments to themselves, or stop raping and pillaging in general.

Yours truly,
                  Tithera
                  Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

Comment

*Salutes*

Permission to join you, Tithera! I can provide a FLAME THROWER to...uh....show the masses the light.
                    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

OMG, this means I know where Food Lady works!

Yeah, it was all over the news. The sexual assault, I mean.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                        I work in an area where there was a recent sexual assault, close to my store. It's been highly publicized. So I'm working tonight and was just waiting at my store's food counter with a customer ahead of me. When it came to be my turn my cowrker told me the man had been making a joke about the assault victim, saying, "She deserved it, right?" I'm livid anyone would dare "joke" about it; one of my close reletives was kidnapped and raped at one time & I find it no laughing matter. Jerk.
                        I love all kinds of twisted jokes, sexual assault and ones about people robbing me I can't seem to find funny.

I will summarize feelings because the detailed response belongs on fratching.
                        You don't want to do something to a girl I know and let me find out about it, because any pain caused to her will comeback magnitudes higher.

It helps to point out to someone when a line is being crossed because of different viewpoints people tend to not even consider what they saying unless someone makes a comment.
                        I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Not even close to being funny and NEVER the fault of the victim.

Not sure if this will belong in fratching or not but I was reminded of something from a long time ago. When they announced that Texas was going to insist on having Phyllis Schlaffly included in their history books for her "patriotism".

She was more famous for saying that "Virtuous woman don't get raped".

That alone should earn her a spot in the lowest pit of hell.
                          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I had to step away from this thread for a day before I was able to post.

If that walking waste of protoplasm had made his "joke" to me, I'd have gelded him with the nearest knife. And poured salt on what was left. And when the police arrived, my only comment would have been, "He deserved it."

I've been raped.

Gang-raped.

May I bring some marshmallows and hot dogs to your barbeque, Tithera?

Comment

Morgana (and everyone else who has suffered so), I am so sorry.

And yes, I agree. Peer pressure should be applied to make 'jokes' of this sort go away.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X