This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hag and Cow go out to dinner

I'm very proud of myself. Friends, I have just returned from an evening out at my favorite restaurant, home of the infamous "Satan spinning around" incident.

My cousin and I were eating, while at the next table was a younger woman and an older woman who appeared to be her grandmother. The restaurant was very busy and on top of that, understaffed. Put that together and it's a bad combination. It took a long time to get everything.

The women at the next table started their complain-o-thon with their bread. This restaurant gives you free bread before your meal, and they had run out. More was in the oven. As with everything in our meal, it was taking a long time, and they pestered the waitress, who was also our waitress, so much that finally she snapped at them, "It's free bread. I'll get it to you as soon as I can."

The women at the table did not appreciate this. We shall refer to them as Cow (the younger one), and Hag (the older one).

Hag: "That was rude!" (after the waitress had left)
    Cow: "I'm overworked too, but I'm not rude about it."

Later, Cow got her salad, and her and Hag's drinks were running low. They discussed this at length, more than loudly enough for my cousin and I to hear.

In fact, they discussed most things loudly enough for us to hear. The service was slow. Those people over there got their meal first. They wouldn't recommend this place to anyone else.

A woman sat down at another nearby table, and the waitress returned to get her order. Hag would have none of it. She reached over and tapped the waitress on her shoulder, interrupting her.

Hag: "Excuse me, miss? Can we get our dinner now?"
    Cow: "Grandma, she's talking..." (at this point there seemed to be a glimmer of hope)
    Hag: "We've been waiting an hour." (they hadn't) "Can we get our dinner now, please?"

The waitress smiled, not with her eyes, and hurried off.

Hag looked at the woman whose order she had interrupted.

Hag: "Well, I'm sorry but it's true."
    Woman: "Um... That's okay. No problem."

Hag looked over at me, and I glared back at her.

When the meals arrived, Hag and Cow set about their dinner, discussing other things but always turning back to the terrible service. Finally they began discussing whether or not to leave a tip.

Hag: "I wouldn't leave a tip for this. Would you?"
    Cow: "Maybe a dollar but I don't think I will."
    Hag: "This was terrible service."
    Cow: "She was rude."

At this point, Hag wandered off to the bathroom.

My cousin and I received our bill, which came to $50.18. We put together $62, and when the waitress returned, I stood, handed it to her and said, loudly enough for everyone in the dining room to hear:

"Here you go. It was great, and those people over there said they weren't going to leave you a tip so we made sure to. Thanks!"

Then I looked over to Cow, who glowered back, and said with a great big smile and a jaunty little waggle of the fingers toward her, "And you have a special evening now! Bye bye!"

As we were leaving, the waitress called out, "See you next week!" and out the door we went.

My only regret is that I don't feel the tip was large enough. We should have left one to cover Hag and Cow's, also.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 12-19-2006, 02:47 AM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
    I'm very proud of myself. Friends, I have just returned from an evening out at my favorite restaurant, home of the infamous "Satan spinning around" incident.
    Have you posted this story, or can we talk you into posting it?
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Dammit hauntedhead, you gotta stop bringing up all these cool-sounding stories. Unless, of course, you're willing to share them.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Yes please share them.
        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Oh, I've already talked about it... basically it was just a bunch of frighteningly stupid children talking about tornadoes, which one thought had once been caused by satan spinning around. Another chimed in that he had once had a dream about satan spinning around. The other, a girl, was fretting about carbs. Meanwhile, the father sat there observing it all with a beatific smile, as though he was cataclysmically stoned.

Comment

I found it!!! http://customerssuck.com/board/showp...66&postcount=2 If you want the full long version.
            The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I have never been a waitress nor have I ever worked in fast food but I have friends and family who have. They've told stories about 'pay back' to SC's that make my stomach turn.

There is no way I will EVER be rude, bitchy or impatient with someone who is handling my food.
              Retail Haiku:
              Depression sets in.
              The hellhole is calling me ~
              I don't want to go.

Comment

I can see why you would feel guilty about not leaving a tip on behalf of them, but you really should fight such impulses. Sucks for the waiting staff, I know, but it just justifies things in the alleged minds of the sucktomers involved. Besides, I suspect the waitress was expecting to be stiffed by that table.

Rapscallion

Comment

The women at the next table started their complain-o-thon with their bread. This restaurant gives you free bread before your meal, and they had run out. More was in the oven. As with everything in our meal, it was taking a long time, and they pestered the waitress, who was also our waitress, so much that finally she snapped at them, "It's free bread. I'll get it to you as soon as I can."
                  I'm gonna have to pitch in as the voice of dissent here: that was unprofessional behavior from the waitress. No, it's NOT free bread; it's paid for along with the meal and - since HH stated that the restaurant always serves bread upfront - probably advertised. Thus, it's well within H & C's right to ask for it.

Yes, they were sucky about it, no question. However, nobody promised that all guests would be roses and sunshine - dealing with asshats like that is her job. And if she snapped at them, then she did it poorly.
                  You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
                    I'm gonna have to pitch in as the voice of dissent here: that was unprofessional behavior from the waitress. No, it's NOT free bread; it's paid for along with the meal and - since HH stated that the restaurant always serves bread upfront - probably advertised. Thus, it's well within H & C's right to ask for it.
                    Well, the thing about the bread is, she had told them they had run out and more was in the oven, but they stopped her every time she came by to get an order, give anyone a drink, refill anyone's drinks, check on other customers, for a total of about five or six times before she said that.

I mean, it's not as though she can make the ovens go any faster.

Comment

I mean, it's not as though she can make the ovens go any faster.
                      And the SC answers back, "That's what YOU think!!!!!!!"
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I suppose if she was feeling evil she could have just grabbed a ball of dough and brought it out to them......

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                          And the SC answers back, "That's what YOU think!!!!!!!"
                          I must be a bad person, because when I think of that I get a mental image of a bunch of people standing around an open oven lighting their farts or something in a desperate attempt to create more heat.

Comment

Haha, I like the "you have a special day" part.

The title sounds like a demented "Frog and Toad" title.
                            ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Hey, I get they were sucky; I do. Still doesn't change that the waitress' response was unprofessional and therefore, wrong.

Believe me, I know how irratating, unresonable and downright annoying guests in a restaurant can be - I spent most of my teenage years working part-time in my parents' place. But unless they get abusive, or do anything else that warrants kicking them out, there's nothing to do but grit your teeth, fake a smile, and take it.
                              You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Working...
                              X