This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Center Accent

This was told to me by an associate who works part-time at a call center. He told me that no matter what the call is they have to give the same schpeil the same way, every time (even for the simplest question, they have to cover every point of the script) because they do get secret callers. They also have to keep a certain tone of voice.

One of his coworkers was originally from England and was fired for, to quote their boss "using a 'funny' voice on the phone" The boss was referring to his accent! Never mind that she herself was from India and had quite the accent too!

Go figure! He's probably better off without that job anyway...
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Probably some asshat SC complained, thinking the accent was your friend was just being silly on the phone or something
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

My boyfriend keeps threatening that if he works at a call center, he'll do a different accent every day of the week.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

hmmm technically they fired him for being english then

personally i'd be like "ooooo" if i called a call center and heard an english accent

Comment

Isn't firing someone for having an accent discrimination?

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
            Isn't firing someone for having an accent discrimination?
            Yes it is.
            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
              Yes it is.
              But only if they listed that as the reason.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                One of his coworkers was originally from England and was fired for, to quote their boss "using a 'funny' voice on the phone" The boss was referring to his accent! Never mind that she herself was from India and had quite the accent too!.
                Pot meet kettle.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                  My boyfriend keeps threatening that if he works at a call center, he'll do a different accent every day of the week.
                  When I was working at a movie theater, I spoke only with an English dialect (similar to Daniel Radcliffe's) on one day every week. If I recall correctly, it was Thursday, when I would be working box office and have to close. It gave me something to do to keep from going mad.

Sadly, I don't think they'd appreciate it much at the pHarmacy. My Irish dialect on Saint Patrick's Day didn't go over too well.
                  Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

Working...
                  X