This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Supermarket Slave Girl View Post
    The one thing I don't get is why women's sanitary products are taxed, some clever dickhead thinks those things are a luxury item? Gee I can only wish.
    Similar system for VAT over here. Feminine hygiene is taxed at 5% instead of 17.50%. One of our shop refuses to charge VAT on them.

Rapscallion

Comment

The taz gets put on luxury items suck as chocolate, chips things like that. Fruit and veg are GST free.

The one thing I don't get is why women's sanitary products are taxed, some clever dickhead thinks those things are a luxury item? Gee I can only wish.
      Probably men

I wonder...do you know if condoms are taxed or not?
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
        Probably men

Well, you realize you're all supposed to be BF & PG?
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
          Only at lower rate in the UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4832814.stm

I have no idea if that same supermarket is absorbing the VAT on those too, though. You'd think with the safe sex campaigns the government have been running they'd exempt them

British tax law is a murky business, originally written centuries ago then modified by hundreds of budgets & thousands of challenges through the courts. As an example of how ridiculous things can get, Marks & Spencer recently won a landmark ruling reclassifying their teacakes as a staple, rather than the luxury item they were set as in the 70's. HMR&C didn't want to refund the entire amount they'd overcharged as they argued that it would unfairly enrich M&S to get 40 years of back taxes, then they further tried to limit the amount paid out when a 3 year limit was put on claims while the case was being argued. The courts forced HMR&C to pay the uncapped amount, although they upheld the argument that M&S would be unfairly enriched by the full amount, so they only got 10%.

http://www.pem.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cg...01&h=160&f=260

Didn't half give the accountants a headache, though, with some of our clients who sold food - cafes, grocers & the like. And it wasn't the accountants doing the actual grunt work, it was us poor accounts clerks *sighs*
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

The one thing I don't get is why women's sanitary products are taxed, some clever dickhead thinks those things are a luxury item?
            Women, historically, don't fight as hard for decent treatment as men. Mostly learned social behavior passed down from generation to generation. So there's a lot of stuff out there where women tend to get shafted because not enough of us are willing to raise a fuss to address it.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I could understand them being taxed, if it weren't for the fact that cups are taxed too, as are diaper services. There also is no such thing as a pad service - you are pretty much required to wash your own.

Comment

OMG Can you imagine the demonstration against a Feminine Hygiene Product Tax? Red Painted Pants Parading around Parliament? The chants of: Hell, no, we won't flow! The Tampon Tax has got to go! We'll stain your slacks and stain your tweeds, no more tax on monthly needs!

Ok, I'm done.
                ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
                  OMG Can you imagine the demonstration against a Feminine Hygiene Product Tax? Red Painted Pants Parading around Parliament? The chants of: Hell, no, we won't flow! The Tampon Tax has got to go! We'll stain your slacks and stain your tweeds, no more tax on monthly needs!

Ok, I'm done.

That's all I have to say
                  I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

Working...
                  X