This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Try, Lazy Customers

We all know that some customers abandon products they no longer want. This is always a problem, but it is even more of a problem when it comes to perishables.

A few of these customers, I've found, will take one small step toward redeeming themselves by abandoning their unwanted perishable groceries in the coolers. It's still cold; it's just in the wrong place.

However, that ceases to be a noble act when temperature isn't fully taken into account.

While grocery shopping yesterday, I saw two blocks of cheese, a pre-packaged sandwich from the deli case, and a bag of baby carrots abandoned in the ice cream freezer.

I did notify an employee, but I'm afraid it was already too late.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

I once found a couple of dripping t-bones behind the cereal!

The manager I told was pretty pissed.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

The cheese should be OK, at least.
      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I used to find (dripping) ice cream containers in our yarn bins when I worked in WalMart's fabric department.

The floral aisle of the fabric department seemed to also be the dumping grounds for the shoplifters. I found packaging for all sorts of stuff in that aisle along with a lot of stuff people dumped because they didnt want to walk back to where they got it from.

Comment

and people wonder why costs are so high at some stores because it costs ALOT in shrinkage to lose things like baby carrots every day and t-bones in the cereal aisle.

alot of it is in vegetables because of what has to be thrown away.

Comment

During my grocery store days, the two most memorable incidents like this were

-A 2 liter bottle of soda frozen solid (yet somehow not blown up) in the ice cream case

-a live lobster in the bread aisle.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

On a recent shopping trip last week, I encountered packaged meat on a shelf amidst all the bags of sugar. I made sure to tell an associate as soon as I spotted it. She didn't look happy.

My most memorable "find," aside from all the random frozen and meat products tucked into the candy/magazine racks at the checkouts, was a full gallon of milk hidden behind the beach towels in the summer seasonal aisle. That is deliberate.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                What the? How did that poor lobster survive? Unless it didn't and had to be thrown out.
                Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  During my grocery store days, the two most memorable incidents like this were

-A 2 liter bottle of soda frozen solid (yet somehow not blown up) in the ice cream case

That lobster was just trying to escape.

Comment

Ice cream in with deli products.

And I think all of us regulars have taken to telling employees when we spot the nasty ones. I've reported meat just about everywhere, now.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I... okay... when someone buys a live lobster from the seafood section, how is it packaged? Is it just loose, sitting there in the baby seat? Is it in a bag of water like a goldfish?

I'm a vegetarian and before that we didn't have money for lobster so I have no idea how this works. It seems like someone pulled an expensive prank.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
                        I... okay... when someone buys a live lobster from the seafood section, how is it packaged? Is it just loose, sitting there in the baby seat? Is it in a bag of water like a goldfish?

I'm a vegetarian and before that we didn't have money for lobster so I have no idea how this works. It seems like someone pulled an expensive prank.
                        Live lobster is generally sold with rubber bands on 'is claws, to stop him from snapping.
                        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

lobsters get put into a bag sometimes with a little ice... before they make it to the bag you fish them out of the lobster tank and make sure the bands are on tight. I used to work deli..im female i was 19 at the time and didnt care for the way they looked at me..but the guys i worked with wouldnt touch the things except to drop them in a bag so people tended to ask me to check the bands. I just hate opening a fridge and seeing the poor things stareing at me with the claws and antenne waving at me like white flags.

Comment

Working...
                          X