This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about return limits...

I don’t want to sound sucky about this, I am just curious.

My mother-in-law tried to return a digital camera to Wal-Mart, and was told it had a 15 day return limit.

I could understand if it had been opened and used, but it’s never been out of the box. She bought it December 1. She bought it for a present and then found out the person already had one.

I realize it’s their policy and all, but I’m just curious. Why 15 days when it’s never even been opened?

Probably partly due to the fact that there are some people who go to great lengths to do a convincing job of re-wrapping a package so that it looks unopened. I've heard tales of people returning small appliances, computer parts, etc. with garbage (or rocks, or older broken parts) packed into the original box and the box resealed. Fooled the service desk worker more times than not, and thus the return limit. Opened or not, Wal-Mart will not issue a refund on items that have been returned past the grace period.

Plus, there are people who will buy a nice camera, use it, then return it at a later date claiming it to be "defective," not unlike the Super Bowl TVs. This is obviously not the case with your MIL's camera, but that's one reason for the short return window.

I believe if you (or MIL) were to politely request to speak with a manager about the situation, some form of agreement might be made. Don't expect anything out of it, but if you're polite and civil and speak with a higher-up, it might be allowed on the grounds that the camera is, in fact, unopened. Were I the manager, and were I to actually verify that the package has the original product and all associated manuals still in it, I would allow a refund (or at least store credit). But that's me.

You could, of course, raise a stink about it, but then we'd be hearing about you on these forums soon enough, wouldn't we?
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Hey, if your MIL still has the camera, I'm looking for one... :looking hopeful:
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
        Hey, if your MIL still has the camera, I'm looking for one... :looking hopeful:
        ummmmmmmmm...I may know something you don't know...but then again, I was wrong when I mentioned it in September...
        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Duly noted...and forgotten.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I would think it has to do with speedy price cuts on electronics. You buy the camera for 300$, a month later that same camera is either discontinued, or is now 250$. It's probably because they won't be able to re-sell it.

Comment

Well, she finally got to return it.

She took it to another Wal-Mart and they took it right back. No questions asked.

It is funny how Wal-Marts seem to all have different levels of strictness about their policies?

Comment

It's weird that they said 15 days. Our receipts print 30 days right on them with the digital cameras. MP3 players and portable DVD players are 15 days. o_O Our photo department is VERY strict about the 30 day rule. They won't even come up and look at a camera if it's been past 30 days or if the customer doesn't have a receipt.

Comment

Working...
                X