Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you expect me to eat it with no CHEEEEESE????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth JustADude
    Either you say 'Sorry, I don't want the sandwich without cheese," and leave, or continue the purchase and accept the sad fact of nourishment devoid of cultured bovine lactations.
    Agreement! Vocabulary!

Yes, there is a choice; that's why I think telling him to take the sandwich and pay, instead of just expediting the lament, is a bit patronizing. But as I said in another thread where the second customer came up, I agree his assertiveness is well-meant.
    I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Quoth Mixed Bag

Yes, there is a choice; that's why I think telling him to take the sandwich and pay, instead of just expediting the lament, is a bit patronizing. But as I said in another thread where the second customer came up, I agree his assertiveness is well-meant.
      Due to this post of yours and the OP, I'm starting to think that this customer started argueing at the register, not while his sandwich was being made. I now am thinking an SC with discount on his mind because they were out of cheese, and they were going to take full advantage to get a discount.

I mean why else would he just say pay and leave, and then step up and then be told that he wouldn't be paying for his food today?

Comment

Quoth Titi
        I'm starting to think that this customer started argueing at the register, not while his sandwich was being made. I now am thinking an SC with discount on his mind
        Could be; I regret that it doesn't come naturally to me, as an efficient, conscientious person, to think that something I'd never stoop to do is a likely factor in a situation if there isn't some kind of explicit hint that such could be the case. I remember complaining about a bad restaurant experience and being offered a comp; I then suggested paying about half of the bill because I thought a free dinner was unwarranted (I guess I just wanted someone to listen and acknowledge, then felt it wasn't such a big deal).

As for this thread, maybe seeing yet another example of lack of empathy for others' desires--a hot issue for me, and I'm sure the fact that I'm a big fan of cheese on sandwiches played a part--blinded me to more likely SC motivations which were more buried in memory.

I just remembered, years ago Subway (at least the one I went into in the early 90s) only had American and white American cheeses, and I was righteously offended that any place that called itself a sandwich shop wouldn't at least have Swiss. Is American cheese even cheese? I thought the FDA had labeling laws that food had to meet minimum standards of wholesomeness. I became a fan of Subway after they upgraded their image, but thanks to this thread for letting me get over something(s) I'd apparently set aside without expressing enough.
        I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Just a point or two:

The Subway in question is located behind the Kinko's, inside a Pantry. Both are located on a college campus and across from a performing art center and an indoor sports arena, and down the street from a football stadium.

It's a good Subway. Fast, efficient, well-staffed. And like Kinko's, totally at the mercy of the ebbs and flows of the downtown population. Sometimes they can tell when they will be inundated with customers. Sometimes, they can't.

It was three in the afternoon after an unforseen lunch deluge. Some minor pep rally or some such thing.

Also, the guy had been banging on long enough for it to become embarassing and irritating for everyone in there.

At the time, both hubby and myself worked at Kinko's. And we had to put up with hour upon hour of this sor t of crap all day, every day. Neither of us wanted any more of it on our own time.

If the crybaby had wanted a discount, he could have simply asked for one. That late in the day, he probably would have gotten one if he hadn't been such a child about it. People used to come in all the time at Kinko's and haggle a little good naturedly if we didn't have exactly what they wanted. Nobody minded.

Comment

Reminds me of this one time a friend and I stopped at Subway fairly late at night right after they ran out of olives. The woman in front of us threw a bitch about it when she found out and walked out on her nearly-complete sandwich. Of course, it took her seven minutes to finally shut up and walk out. And she had to call somebody on her cel phone and shout about how fucked up this all was and how dare they be out of olives.

My friend just looked at the sandwich guy and said "Good lord! What an amazing bitch!"

I threw in a "You alright, man?" The guy looked like he was either going to go on a shooting rampage or burst into tears, but hadn't decided on one, yet.

Sandwich guy nods and tells us a story as he makes our sandwiches. Apparently, the other guy who should have been working quit about 20 minutes into the shift and walked out. About an hour prior to running out of olives, his best friend had come in and confessed to sleeping with his girlfriend. The girl was back at his house moving out as we spoke. Finally, this nutjob lady came in and yelled her head off about the damn olives.

My friend said something about Mercury being retrograde.

I responded that obviously the moon was in F*ck You. Then I bought sandwich guy a sandwich. "Most people are assholes," I told him, "but not everyone."
            07-88-02 :: How do I powercycle the previous agent?
            Get the joke? You know where I work. Missed it? Sorry, can't say a word about it.

Comment

^^Aw. You were really nice to that poor guy, bet he appreciated it!

I love Subway sandwiches; I won't however throw a fit if they run out of something. Once I got the last of the cheese at a Subway; there wasn't much, so I asked them to put on more tomato and they agreed.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Bah, this story reminds me of work last night. With over 8,000 people at the concert last night, there was plenty of business. And of course, people like to drink water. So when a fridge empties, we have to refill it and it takes time for warm water to cool. I had some guy and his kid ask for water and I told them it was warm but I could give them a cup of ice to go with it. The stupid kid, had to be about 10, said, "No cold water? That's stupid. We shouldn't be tipping him, we should take money out of his tips for this." I just wanted to respond, "You touch my tips and I'll break your wrist so you can't try it again." So unfortunate that would get me in trouble.
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth JustADude
                  accept the sad fact of nourishment devoid of cultured bovine lactations.
                  DUDE are you vegan or something... thats the grossest description of cheese ive ever heard!!
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Hey, not all cheese come from bovine. Include goats lactations too. And any other mammal anyone wants to create cheese from.
                    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth ThinMick
                      Reminds me of this one time a friend and I stopped at Subway fairly late at night right after they ran out of olives. The woman in front of us threw a bitch about it when she found out and walked out on her nearly-complete sandwich. Of course, it took her seven minutes to finally shut up and walk out. And she had to call somebody on her cel phone and shout about how fucked up this all was and how dare they be out of olives.

My friend just looked at the sandwich guy and said "Good lord! What an amazing bitch!"

I threw in a "You alright, man?" The guy looked like he was either going to go on a shooting rampage or burst into tears, but hadn't decided on one, yet.

Sandwich guy nods and tells us a story as he makes our sandwiches. Apparently, the other guy who should have been working quit about 20 minutes into the shift and walked out. About an hour prior to running out of olives, his best friend had come in and confessed to sleeping with his girlfriend. The girl was back at his house moving out as we spoke. Finally, this nutjob lady came in and yelled her head off about the damn olives.

My friend said something about Mercury being retrograde.

I responded that obviously the moon was in F*ck You. Then I bought sandwich guy a sandwich. "Most people are assholes," I told him, "but not everyone."
                      man, poor guy, what a horrid day, to have you best friend betraying you, your girlfriend leaving you,and an idiotb-tch freaking out about olives. Glad you got him a sandwich, food sometimes helps people recover.
                      io wonder if the olive lady is related to Sarah M. of Charleston, WV.? they seem to both obsess with olives.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind
                        Hey, not all cheese come from bovine. Include goats lactations too. And any other mammal anyone wants to create cheese from.
                        We sell sheep's cheese and yoghurts, if that's any guide.

No idea who milks them, mind...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion
                          No idea who milks them, mind...Rapscallion
                          *snigger* I read that as

"I have no idea who milks the maid"...
                          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind
                            Yeah, but I doubt Subway carries anything but cow-milk cheeses.

Oh, and Kiwi, I'm a big fan of meat and dairy products. I wrote that post after being up about 36 hours or so, and I get wierd when I'm that sleepless.
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Any mammal that gives milk can have cheese made from its milk. Even humans.

Beat that for weird thought. XD
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer
                                Any mammal that gives milk can have cheese made from its milk. Even humans.

Beat that for weird thought. XD

Don't know how true this is, but I've been told by men friends that breast milk is good to cure hangovers...

Beat THAT.
                                Unseen but seeing
                                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                                3rd shift needs love, too
                                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                                X