This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lean some damn math.

OK, not a big thing, but I was the sucky one. I was already aggravated before I got there, which is a reason but not an excuse.

I'm trying to get a bunch of papers together so I can file them for a court case (it's due by Friday and I've been putting it off for months), and the whole thing just pisses me off, and I'm tired and so I'm just in a bad mood today. Then I realized that I needed to make copies of two of the papers, which were bank statements that I was missing and so had to get from the bank, and they were the only copies I had. So off I went to Staples, and while I was out I stopped to pick up some milk and a few other things at the grocery store, then went to McDonald's to get some dinner.

My total was $5 and change, so I gave the girl $11 so I would get back a five dollar bill instead of 4 singles. She looks at the money, confused, and says "It's $5.XX" and I said, "I know, I'll get a $5 bill back." And she looks at me and says "What..?" I started to say again I wanted a $5 bill back but then I just took back the single and said "forget it." And under my breath I said "Learn math." I don't know if she heard that part.

A small thing, but I felt a little bad.

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

When I very first starting cashiering and had someone do that I was confused. Never occurred to me to give more than the total to get a certain denomination back.

I've learned since of course. Maybe she's new and it was her first job.

Comment

I know. I've gotten confused myself in the past. But I told her why I gave her what I did. It wasn't until after I explained it that I got annoyed. And all she had to do was put the amount in the register and it would have told her what to give back. Gah.

Comment

I would've probably said to her, "Just put that in, please," instead of taking the single back, but that's about it. Very frustrating.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Yeah I had the same exact thing happen to me not too long ago:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=61953

Comment

I'm horrible at math, for the most part, but still pretty good at reason and logic. I'm not sure how that works, but there's nothing wrong with a person if numbers escape them but other forms of logical efficiency doesn't.
            SC: "Are you new or something?"
            Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Oh, I suck at math, too. When I first started cashiering, I would have to think for a second when people did that to realize what it was the customer was meaning to get back as change. But I knew there was a logical reason for it, so I just put the amount in the register and gave back what the screen told me.

I once tried to give a cashier a quarter (my total was like $2.25) after I had given her a five; while I was waiting in line the manager had brought out quarters for another drawer, and I heard her say it was their last roll and that they were low on some other stuff, too. I realized I had the quarter in my pocket so I figured I'd save the girl having to give out 3 quarters. She just said "but I already put it in" and since it was busy (it was shortly before Christmas) and I was on my break from my own store I didn't bother to argue. She then gave me back 75 cents in nickels.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                She just said "but I already put it in" and since it was busy (it was shortly before Christmas)
                Hmm.. That might be total reflex there. I know we have so many people trying to scam us by confusing us, especially when it's busy so everyone's told that "if you're in the least uncertain or feel frazzled in any way, don't accept more change/other dominations after you've initially gotten money". something like that. We're even told to "go with our guts"!
                Customer (on the phone): YOU ARE DUMB! D-U-M-M!
                Me:

Comment

Quoth cactus View Post
                  Hmm.. That might be total reflex there.
                  From the look on her face and the tone of her voice, I don't think it was...

Comment

Quoth Summerfly413 View Post
                    When I very first starting cashiering and had someone do that I was confused. Never occurred to me to give more than the total to get a certain denomination back.

I've learned since of course. Maybe she's new and it was her first job.
                    Ditto on that one. Right at the start of my first job when someone did that to me i was really confused.

Comment

Working...
                    X