Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone Is Dead, Passed Out, Or Not Home...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone Is Dead, Passed Out, Or Not Home...

Last night, I went out for a smoke at my usual time on work nights that I don't go in early (a little after 9 pm), and heard that god awful noise of an alarm clock.

Someone's apartment across the street still had a wide open window and an alarm clock blaring through it.

How annoying, I thought. I went inside afterwards and forgot about it.

Went back outside once more before leaving for work at quarter to 10, and it was still going off.

How freaking annoying. I seriously hope it was that someone set their alarm accidentally for like, 9 pm instead of am and just wasn't home.

When I left at 10:15, it was still going off. I could have sworn those things can't go off forever.

Whatever the case, it was off by the time I got home this morning.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Yes. They can and will go off forever.

I know that mine will go off for about 30 minutes, then stop for about 30 minutes, then go off again for another 30 minutes and repeat that cycle until it's turned off (or it loses power).

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Whereas mine will beep constantly for an entire minute, then figure I'm not there, give up, and reset itself for the next day.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Mine goes for an hour, shuts off, and resets for the next day. But it's set to a radio station, not the alarm. Come to think of it, I don't even know what that sounds like.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
          Mine goes for an hour, shuts off, and resets for the next day. But it's set to a radio station, not the alarm. Come to think of it, I don't even know what that sounds like.
          I think the radio setting on mine goes an hour.

The beep setting is one of those "gradu-wake" ones, where it starts off really soft and gradually gets to deafening levels, which I like better than "standard" alarms because it doesn't jolt me awake. Or, worse, jolt my husband awake, who then scares me awake when he practically leaps out of bed (light sleeper).
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

a lot of the newer modern models will do the usual alarm for 30 minutes then go off every 2-5 minutes afterword until turned off or reset.

there was an episode of bones where the murder was tortured by the same thing after he killed its owner.

mines even more annoying it starts low and gets progessivelly louder stays there for a few minutes then goes back low again and starts the rise again.

much fun.

Comment

Try being in a college dorm/hall of residence/whatever you want to call it, and have one of the people on your floor go away for the holidays and forget to turn off their alarm.

Lucky for me they weren't on my floor Also lucky for the neighbours who were able to contact the staff to unlock the door for the sole purpose of turning the clock off.
              Began work Aug as casual '08
              Ex-coworkers from current place of work: 26ish
              Current co-workers at current place of work: 15ish - yes he just hired 3 more casuals
              Why do I still work there again?

Comment

Beeping alarm clock is how my grandmother found out grandfather was dead. She got up at 5 AM, started making breakfast, cleaning, etc. heard his alarm going off at 6, didn't hear him moving, after a few minutes went downstairs to their bedroom, and well yeah.

Comment

At my old hotel I constantly had to go into empty rooms and turn-off alarm clocks because they'd gone-off and were annoying the occupied rooms next-door. Always dreaded finding that the room wasn't really empty Cause sometimes the computers do make mistakes! Luckily never happened...to me.
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

My sister worked at a farmer's market and therefore got up early, really early.
                    Her alarm is LOUD.

she went to a friend's and forgot to turn her alarm off for the night.

This all lead to me getting up at 4:30 am to turn her alarm off.
                    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I've never liked the type of clock that just resets instead of being on or off.

I don't set mine until I go to bed. It's part of my routine.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I am totally guilty of not paying attention and setting my alarm for AM instead of PM....but thankfully, I usually get woken up from a bad dream or a really loud car or my psycho shut-in neighbor coming home from work, so it's not often I actually wake up too late or run late.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My alarm clock is set to a radio station, but I almost always wake up some time before my alarm, just shut it off, and stay awake until it's time to get out of bed.

I've found that when my alarm wakes me up, I end up draggy for most of the day. I prefer to ease into it.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I keep my alarm LOUD, but then, it's nowhere near where people outside the house can hear it...

It's an old clock-radio-cassette-8trackplayer (I said it was OLD!), and its alarm combines loud radio with loud annoying beeping...which is exactly what I need. I have to have one that obnoxious or i will just roll right back over and go back to sleep.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I used to deliver a newspaper to an apartment complex. Sometimes, it was at 3:30am. Sometimes closer to 4. No matter when I arrived to do my delivery, someone's alarm was going off, and I could hear it from the parking lot. This went on for about a month. I don't know if it was going off all day and night, or just in the early morning hours, but if I'd been one of their neighbors, I'd have been hella pissed!
                              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                              X