This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein my car gets laughed at

I just got back from the local tire shop. They've always been friendly, know all of our cars on sight, and the manager always comes out to meet me when I pull up. Today, there were some younger kids working in the shop, who, apparently don't appreciate a work in progress classic car.

I was sitting facing the window looking in so I could see what they were doing to my car (goes back to the overprotective "parent" bit.) and I watched the kid walk up to my car, giggle, shake his head, and walk back and hand what I presume was the newbie the keys.

Kid: You drive it! It's your turn!
    Newbie: Bah! No! You drive it!
    Kid: Hell no!
    Newbie: Fine!

The newbie got into the car after yelling at him for making her drive the car, all of which I heard from my seat.

Not necessarily sucky, but annoying nevertheless.

I got my revenge when she hit the brakes the first time, however. I've always gotten a kick out of people expecting modern power brakes and getting that really touchy early power brake reaction (IE - the car stops dead as if it hit a wall, and the brake pedal shows no resistance to your foot) Look on the mechanic's face is hilarious every time.
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Hehehe old car brakes gotta love them, what kind of car do you have? The words classic car always get my attention.
    Last edited by Squeaksmyalias; 04-23-2010, 11:03 PM. Reason: can't spell brakes the right way the first time
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Might I suggest talking to the manager, not in an angry manner or anything but maybe tell him he should caution them on making fun of people's cars. Cause you love the place and you are cool, but some ass is going to come along eventually who is going to really go ape shit over that kind of thing.... I've seen it.
      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
      -Red

Comment

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
        Might I suggest talking to the manager, not in an angry manner or anything but maybe tell him he should caution them on making fun of people's cars.
        The manager saw everything, and turned bright red when he realized what his employees were making a fuss over. He also saw me get a good laugh at their idiocy in action. While, no, I didn't talk to the manager, he knows what happened, and will say something to them I'm sure.

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
        Hehehe old car brakes gotta love them, what kind of car do you have? The words classic car always get my attention.
        I have a 1973 Plymouth Duster. It's got tons of physical problems, but nothing really major mechanically. :-) I miss the Texas way of doing the brake inspection for safety cert - car must stop from 15MPH within 25 feet.

The older guys who ran the shops knew about the brakes, but would usually nudge me and say "watch this" and send the young newbie out to test them. My brakes make this really distinct noise when you slam on them versus edge onto them like you should, almost a *clunk* noise as the brakes lock the tires up and the car settles into a dead stop instantly. Even funnier when they go from slamming on the gas to slamming on the brakes expecting to need to and *CLUNK**seatbelt goes taut* newbie:

Utah they don't have to drive the car anywhere, it's a visual inspection (unless you take it to one of the automated test rigs, which are designed to make non ABS equipped older cars fail every time.)

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
          The manager saw everything, and turned bright red when he realized what his employees were making a fuss over. He also saw me get a good laugh at their idiocy in action. While, no, I didn't talk to the manager, he knows what happened, and will say something to them I'm sure.

^_^ Yey! Even though it was rude of them to make fun of your car I would HATE to have some idiot flip out on them just because his car is "so special"

And also... Excellent car! I'm not a big big Plymouth fan when it comes to VS other classics, but if I had to choose a Duster is definitely one of my favorites!
          "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
          -Red

Comment

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
            And also... Excellent car! I'm not a big big Plymouth fan when it comes to VS other classics, but if I had to choose a Duster is definitely one of my favorites!
            This car is my baby. I bought it for $250 when I was in high school, then repaired it with my dad. It's had an engine rebuild, transmission and diff replacement, brake overhaul, front to back electrical system replacement, new carburetor, new starter, new power steering system, and half a dozen smaller items I've had done.

It still needs a body job, and new upholstery badly, but it runs great mechanically, if not a bit moody when it rains (need to use the hairspray to seal the distributor suggestion I heard from someone else here recently.)

Comment

Oh, those Dusters are cool! Whenever you do the cosmetic stuff to her, heads will really turn! They'll fight over who gets to drive her! What's her name? Or his name?
              Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Actually, she has no name...I just call her "Baby" from time to time... :-P I guess I'm not creative enough to give a proper name. Probably a good thing I'm not having kids, then? :-P

Heads will turn, and I look forward to that day. I can't wait to see her as she was meant to be, not in her current abused state.

Comment

Oh nice, Dusters are sweet cars. I've been lusting over a 71 dodge demon lately. I'd love to get it, or a old Jeep CJ. If I didn't need to fix up my currant Wrangler and the Chevy Apache I'd be getting one or the other.

I need a bigger garage, a boyfriend who will share all his tools and a better job.
                  I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

we have a 1981 Jeep CJ7 that's awaiting a wiring fix and a de-Charlie Foxtrotting of epic proportions since the dealer that had the car before was a bloody idiot.

wiring harness for the headlights went bad. So he drills a hole in the firewall and runs some 14gauge wire, only hooks up the headlights and the left tail light (why not the right? I'll never know) to a microswitch that in no way shape or form can handle the load, instead of just wiring into the original switch that still works fine.

I have new wire, just need to run it, and undo his screwup.

Also needs new motor mounts since the old ones punctured the oil filter while in the middle of nowhere one cold windy winter night and left the wife and I stranded.

Comment

My TJ has issues. Rental car before I got it. Dad and I are thinking fuel pump or filter issues, or something along those lines. It's nothing I can afford to take apart and fix for now since it's my only car and I need to drive all day for work. It gets hiccups when I first start it, revs itself would be a good description. I'm currently switching over to a different gas, seems to be working a little bit better. It still runs and it's mostly narrowed down, I will get to it someday. I still LOVE wranglers.

Comment

I've always gotten a kick out of people expecting modern power brakes and getting that really touchy early power brake reaction (IE - the car stops dead as if it hit a wall, and the brake pedal shows no resistance to your foot) Look on the mechanic's face is hilarious every time.
                        Oh yeah, the '76 Impala I learned to drive on had those, along with GM's first ever front disc brakes, so yeah, you could make 2-1/2 tons of good American iron stop on a dime if you were heavy with the pedal. My mother used to joke that the car had a factory option of a putty knife that came out and scraped you off the windshield after you released the pedal.

edit- it's even funnier when they put a 4WD truck on a 2WD dynamometer. Not sure how that happened, I sure didn't leave it in 4WD mode when I got out...

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                          Oh yeah, the '76 Impala I learned to drive on had those, along with GM's first ever front disc brakes, so yeah, you could make 2-1/2 tons of good American iron stop on a dime if you were heavy with the pedal.
                          Yep. Duster has front disc brakes too. Not sure when they started doing front disc, but it REALLY makes a huge difference in stopping too, and contributes to the "woops. hit the brakes too hard. Let me scrape you off the dashboard." bit.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                            It's even funnier when they put a 4WD truck on a 2WD dynamometer. Not sure how that happened, I sure didn't leave it in 4WD mode when I got out...
                            So what happened? Details, man!

Comment

wiring harness for the headlights went bad. So he drills a hole in the firewall and runs some 14gauge wire, only hooks up the headlights and the left tail light (why not the right? I'll never know) to a microswitch that in no way shape or form can handle the load, instead of just wiring into the original switch that still works fine.
                              Sounds like the "mechanic" that worked on my MG awhile back. Those idiots apparently thought internal combustion was magic I spent a crapload of time and money redoing some of the things that were done. Things like the hazard lights not working, the gauge lighting being wired into the hazard light switch, no horns (as in *not fitted!*), and a missing ignition light. In other words, they half-assed the electrics, so I'd get the car out of there, and quit bugging them

But, the real fun is if I take it to the local chain garage, and the "MG Guru" isn't working that day. He's one of the few people who actually knows how to start it. Before turning the key, you have to pull the choke out. Then you can twist the key and wait for the fuel pump to stop ticking (which means that the carb float chambers are full). Fire it up and you're good

So far, the only comments directed at that car...usually pertain to the lurid orange color. People seem to overlook the rusty front bumper, the missing interior (dashboard, seats and door cards are fitted...but the carpets aren't), and the beat-to-hell wheels.
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X