This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Food??

Hubby and I stopped into a Taco Bell this weekend. Our complete order was two burritos (as on the menu, nothing special) and one soda. Took us 23 minutes from time of order til we got it, we timed it.

What happened, they had someone come in a couple of people before us and order over $100 worth of food to go. No advance call, no warning, just walk in and order that much. Ok, so to me, that's SC, who on earth doesn't know a bit in advance that they'll need that much food from Taco Bell?

But we also need to add SM (sucky manager/cashier), who then, in her infinite wisdom, decided to have them just do the entire order before they go on to anyone else - not slot in a bit here, a bit there, not put one employee on other orders while others do the big order. But do up all that while everyone stood around waiting.

To make matters worse, I gathered all this just from listening to her talk to the people in back, etc. She didn't think it relevant to warn us when we ordered that it might take a bit of extra time cause there was a frickin' hundred dollar order going to be done completely before she got round to anyone else. Nope, no one coming in after this order was warned, and no one was thanked for waiting all that time, either.

Oh, and her attitude to the people who placed the order? She was bending over backwards - spending time (with people waiting at her register) to help them check through the entire thing that it was correct, calling after them with thanks, and her name so they can call her if there's anything wrong, etc. etc. Making it very clear how important she felt the people placing that huge order were in comparison to us lowly folk getting a normal meal.

As she was calling all shots, and was the only manager there, I didn't feel any point in complaining, but am considering contacting a corporate number or something.

I'm sure any fast food place would slow down a bit to accomodate an unusually large order (with TB's prices, we're talking probably 30 - 50 items or even more, all with varying ingredients). But there's just so many ways she could have handled it better than she did.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Make the call. I freaking would.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Call the shop. She's likely not the only manager, and I'm sure you coudl get ahold of one of the others. Let them know what's up. It's possible that the employees hater how she runs things and are just praying that some customer will let someone who can do something about it know how bad she is.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Clearly this woman can't do math.

One customer with one $100 order = $100
        10 customers averaging $10 in food each = $100

If she ticks off the $100 order person, she loses one customer plus any they may gripe to (lets be generous and say twenty people). That's a potential of 21 lost customers.
        If she ticks off ten customers, she loses ten customers plus any others each of them may gripe to. With a stingy estimate of only 10 per person, that's still 110 in potential losses. That's five times or more potential damage to the company's rep and income than any mistake made on a single large order would have made.

Moral of the story (as told to me by my very first boss, Mr Metcalf, may his wisdom live forever in the hearts of CSRs): Every single customer counts, not just the one with the big order. Especially if they're waiting patiently for twenty minutes due to poor management.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post

Oh, and her attitude to the people who placed the order? She was bending over backwards - spending time (with people waiting at her register) to help them check through the entire thing that it was correct, calling after them with thanks, and her name so they can call her if there's anything wrong, etc. etc. Making it very clear how important she felt the people placing that huge order were in comparison to us lowly folk getting a normal meal.
          But in the big, corporate scheme of things, the person ordering $100 of Taco Bell is more important. The other people are spending far less apiece.

Yeah, it's stupid and asinine, but try explaining that to people who focus only on the bottom line. It's not just that manager, but the people above her. They're probably thinking about how that $100 order is going to push them way over their goal for the day.

Just like a couple weekends ago when we had somebody buy $1,850 worth of stuff from the swamp. We never get people dropping that much money in one go. I wasn't there when it happened, but I'd imagine they spent extra time chatting up the lady and having somebody come over to bag all her stuff; not only because it's extra service but because it would take the cashier so much more time to bag the entire $1,850 order. And unless that bagger happened to be a manager (ha ha), that either closed down a register that could've been open, or took a person away from the service desk to help people there.

They shouldn't have tied up the entire staff on that one order alone. They could've left one or two people to take care of everything else and advise the person with the big order it would take a little longer. Unless that person is a total goofball, they should understand $100 worth of food will take longer to prepare anyway.

Lastly, if you decide to complain, remember that Taco Bell, like most fast food restaurants, franchises many of its locations, so it would be best to find out who owns the franchise for that location and go from there.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

wow that is a slow time for a $100 order...I say this because I work at a taco joint..(not the bell)..we had a $95 order not long ago..ten six packs and a pound=60 tacos plus 20 medium potatoes, 10 cups of nacho cheese and 10 cups of sour cream..the time it took for us to make..8 minutes!! Yes we are good!! I have also had orders for 100 tacos fifteen minutes before close before..only took us around 7 or 8 minutes to make them. We also try to have both sides of our table open if there is a huge order but if that is not possible then I will explain to the customers that there is a huge order and it may be a moment before they get their food. Most customers are pretty good about it. I also try to squeeze in smaller orders..such as single items or a couple of the simpler orders. The big ordres are very important but using communication and utilizing your people properly will help make everyone happy..a manager who does not communicate with the customer when their order is delayed is a bad manager! That manager would not last too long at my place of business!!

Comment

Someone comes into my store with an assload of prescriptions, I'm not gonna shut down the whole pharmacy to take care of that one person. They can wait a little longer and I'll slip in a few other patients' scripts while I'm working on their book.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                Someone comes into my store with an assload of prescriptions, I'm not gonna shut down the whole pharmacy to take care of that one person. They can wait a little longer and I'll slip in a few other patients' scripts while I'm working on their book.
                And no matter how long you tell them it's going to be, they come back in 5-10 minutes and start huffing and puffing that they've been waiting 2 hours.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I'd go ahead and make the call.
                  Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

My 2nd job is a burger joint and we have this frequently, in the drive-through. Seriously, call ahead or come in. Now, we will do our best to get your huge order together quickly--no point in us being sucky--but you will wait. We will not make you more important than all our other customers.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The person with the big order should have called it in ahead of time & Taco Bell should have prepared it separately so that there wouldn't have been excessive waiting times for people ordering regular sized orders.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                        ...who on earth doesn't know a bit in advance that they'll need that much food from Taco Bell?
                        Large groups traveling. Not justifying the way the manager handled it at all, but I used to work for a company that would cart somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 people around the country in a motorhome to various conferences they planned and they wouldn't know how far along in their trip they would be once it was time to stop for food. There were many orders similar to this one at many Taco Bells.
                        The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          My 2nd job is a burger joint and we have this frequently, in the drive-through. Seriously, call ahead or come in. Now, we will do our best to get your huge order together quickly--no point in us being sucky--but you will wait. We will not make you more important than all our other customers.
                          Both the Maccas and Hungry Jack's down here (aussie version of burger king) will make people wait to one side for large orders, then actually bring it out to them.
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth incognitocook View Post
                            Large groups traveling. Not justifying the way the manager handled it at all, but I used to work for a company that would cart somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 people around the country in a motorhome to various conferences they planned and they wouldn't know how far along in their trip they would be once it was time to stop for food. There were many orders similar to this one at many Taco Bells.
                            Nope, it was just two people picking it up, and no large vehicles anywhere around to hold enough people to eat $100 worth of Taco Bell on the run.

Madness takes it's toll....
                            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Before McDonald's took anything but cash, we had someone come in and place a $160 order.... and then wanted to pay by card. NO chance, but we did have a fake ATM (the kind that looks like a desk calculator. No actual money; it prints a slip, which you then pay the cashier with and get back change.) He didn't like that, because it only went up to $40 and he'd have to pay the fee four times (if I remember rightly; it's been ten years.) So, with directions, off he went to the nearby bank.

About 20 minutes later, his food is getting stale, the shakes are melted, and we're sure he's not coming back, so we throw it all away and finally clear the order from the register (which has been sitting there waiting for payment the whole time while we rang other customers up at the others.) NOW he comes back, and wants to know why his order isn't ready

By the way, has the "quick reply" box disappeared for everyone, or just me?
                              Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X