X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler repair dude!

I can haz reliable hot water!

My boiler's had intermittent problems for a while. I posted in Praising about Boiler Repair Dude's prowess in taking one look and knowing what the problem is immediately.

He came round to fix the actual problem today. Told me about his first call.

First call of the day is the sort where you know the place. This is because they keep calling you out. Every little thing, imagined or otherwise, and usually the former.

BRD had just had his van serviced, and upon arriving at the house, realised that the option of parking on their paved driveway wasn't really a good one for proper customer relations. He'd just collected his van from a service and knew there'd be a drop or two of oil here or there. Where their driveway hits the road is pretty much a convergence where two others arrive, this being a corner of a cul-de-sac. He took a little time and looked at the placement of his vehicle, and managed to park on the road so that everyone could get out of their driveways.

All the while he could feel an oppressive gaze peering down at him from twitching curtains on the top floor of the house. He's been before. The lady of the house is never seen, but her presence and voice have left a mark on all aspects of her domicile.

The husband is a remote-controlled creature. He has to change his slippers for different rooms of the house. Every so often, he'd react slavishly to the cry of, "Henry? Could I have a word?" in imperious tones.

BRD got to work on 'a funny noise'. About the point of going, "Aha!", there came a clarion cry.

"Henry? Could I have a word?"

Husband changed his slippers and departed. He came back some moments later. "My wife says that your van is blocking the driveways of both our neighbours. Could you move it onto our driveway, please?"

"But..."

"My wife insists."

BRD took a while wiping the grin off his face when recalling how he dutifully did as requested. Back to the work in hand. Roughly three minutes later, "Henry? Could I have a word?"

Off went Henry, changing his slippers as he went. He came back at a run, or as fast as his slippers would carry him. Another change into outdoor footwear took place, and BRD watch with amusement as he hurriedly began to place old newspapers underneath BRD's van.

The noise in the works had been solved with a little grease on the fan motor, and Henry, fresh from his exertions, bounded back - changing his footwear in the process.

"There you go," BRD said. "Quiet as whatever."

"Er, but what about this valve here?" Henry asked, beginning to point.

"Don't imagine problems that haven't happened yet," BRD advised kindly, walking out hoping to never return.

Rapscallion

Can you finally wash up now?
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

How about "Bitch"? Is that word what you were looking for?
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post

How about "Bitch"? Is that word what you were looking for?
        I know people like this woman, and that is the perfect response!
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
          Can you finally wash up now?
          Never did before...

Rapscallion

Comment

Reminds me of when my dad worked as a plumber. He did a lot of work for one person (said person owns a number of houses, converted into apartments)

One apartment had a dodgy boiler (old thing, due for replacement at the next renovation, which was not too far away). It had a bad connection on the mainboard.

One day he got a call to say the boiler wasn't working. Went in, and in front of the tenant, thumped the side of the boiler casing. It worked.

The tenant was not impressed, and said (paraphrasing here):
            T: So, you are being paid a call out fee to just come in and thump the boiler?
            D: No. I am being paid a call out fee to come in and KNOW where to thump the boiler.

A couple of months later the tenants moved out, the apartment was redone, and shiny new boiler was fitted. Everybody won.

C.
            Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

Quoth Chrismor View Post

The tenant was not impressed, and said (paraphrasing here):
              T: So, you are being paid a call out fee to just come in and thump the boiler?
              D: No. I am being paid a call out fee to come in and KNOW where to thump the boiler.
              Nothing wrong with Percussive maintenance! I work in IT. We use it occaisionally.
              And if all else fails..... use a bigger hammer
              "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
              Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                Nothing wrong with Percussive maintenance! I work in IT. We use it occaisionally.

NAAAAAAAA use explosives (ala Mythbusters) or a very high cliff or a tall building
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                  I thought the IT repair sequence started with switching it off and on first. If that fails you hit it.

If hitting it fails (after graduating to bigger hammers) call any random part as faulty and take it away.

Sure the average user will not know enough to argue with you, but will anyway.

C.
                  Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                    NAAAAAAAA use explosives (ala Mythbusters) or a very high cliff or a tall building
                    They didn't need explosives for hot water tanks...

Comment

Working...
                    X