This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was behind an SC at the F/S yesterday

I went to Future Shop yesterday and encountered an SC that really left me with no recourse but to just stare incredulously at her utter lack of tact.

I was shopping for my wife so it was just 'the guys', my two sons (7 & 5) and I. We had just selected a gift for her and were standing second in line at the cash register so we could pay and leave when all of a sudden I am forced to take notice of the rude 50-ish woman in front of me because she starts swearing randomly about her debit card woes. Apparently the debit card machines at the pair of registers we were standing at were inoperable, which during the holidays I've known to happen usually because the store's debit lines are all in use. Patience usually prevails over this problem.

Within a few seconds of her swearing she notices that my two children are standing nearby and that we can hear her rant loud and clear. She paused, took that information in and continured her obscenity laden rant. For that split second I made the mistake of thinking that she had come to the tactful conclusion that it wouldn't be a very polite thing to do to continue the obscenities, but she continued as though we weren't there. I thought briefly about saying something, but I am a very mouthy person and because I already felt sorry for the girl that was getting sworn at I didn't think that adding to her stress by adding to the scene was fair to her.

So finally a manager took her to another register and apparently this didn't solve her problem because as I was leaving she came out behind we as we walked out and practically screamed at me "It still didn't f***ing work!!" like we engaged in a battle with the evil store that was conspiring to screw us out of the things we wish to buy. I damned near sunk to her level and threw a snappy retort back, but with my kids there that would not have been the prudent thing to do.

I really felt sorry for the girl at the register. I ended up giving her a toonie and told her to go get a coffee after her shift. She looked like she wanted to rant a little about the lady after my little show of empathy, but with a manager within ear shot she, much to her credit, kept her cool.

When did the spirit of the holiday get replaced with such hostility? I went in there happy that after one of the hardest years of my life I was able to manage such a gift for my wife who had stood steadfastly behind me all the while. I walked out just shaking my head that a debit card mishap ended up with my kids standing there with their hands on their ears while this lady flew off an obscenity laden rant that would make some truck drivers blush.

It really bothers me anymore how noone gives a flip about anyone else.
    They dont really care. As much as they say they do. They dont.
    I curse. plain and simple. But i do my best not to around young ears.
    http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
    Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

I'm with you symposes. People have no sense of decency or respect anymore. And, having worked with children for so long, I actually watch how some of these parents pass their awful traits on to their children. It's really very sad sometimes.
      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth Hicksey View Post
        She looked like she wanted to rant a little about the lady after my little show of empathy, but with a manager within ear shot she, much to her credit, kept her cool.
        Gee, my managers would probably join in on the rant!
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That was sweet of you to give her some coffee money. I'm sure that her and her manager/other colleagues will take the time to bitch about the..well...bitch later (that's what breaks are for!)
          Last edited by BusBus; 12-24-2006, 04:55 PM. Reason: can't spell!
          -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
          -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Quoth Hicksey View Post
            When did the spirit of the holiday get replaced with such hostility?
            It's probably the underlying press of the season with the festivities having to be 'perfect'. Couple that with some jobs require you to be polite to the point you're holding in to where something might burst, that can add to someone exploding over something that's pretty minor on the grand scale of things or is something completely out of control of the folks in the store.

Not sure how much of it's true, but I hold to it rather than go on a violence spree should I snap.
            While I know there are no lifeguards in the genepool, but damn, there ought to be at least a few sharks in the water.

Comment

Quoth M_Sinistrari View Post
              It's probably the underlying press of the season with the festivities having to be 'perfect'. Couple that with some jobs require you to be polite to the point you're holding in to where something might burst, that can add to someone exploding over something that's pretty minor on the grand scale of things or is something completely out of control of the folks in the store.

Not sure how much of it's true, but I hold to it rather than go on a violence spree should I snap.
              I try not to do it, but on a couple of occasions I have let loose on a few people like that lady did, but I NEVER do that about something I know they have no control over.

Being a truck driver and being around that language all the time, you do not know how hard it is not to bring it home with you. I take great pride in not doing that, and rarely ever slipping. That effort and work is nearly undone when I get back in the car and have to listen to my kids ask why if its wrong that lady is allowed to do it.

I would have just loved to smack her upside the head. Now, having said that ... I don't condone violence against women, but in the event that one deserves a good come-uppins there should be women that a man can call ...

Comment

Working...
              X