This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asshats in my own industry!!!

Not sure if this counts as a sighting. If it's not, please feel free to move it.

So I'm a part of a online community over at LiveJournal for people who work in the hospitality industry; specifically in hotels. We usually bounce ideas and problems off each other to see if there's an easier way to do something or to see if we're just doing something entirely wrong.

And today I have lost faith in my fellow Hotel Workers. The worst thing was it started out as a simple plea for help with reservations in Chicago.

background: May 22nd is the start of a 3 day long convention in Chicago for the National Restaurant Association Hotel/Motel Show. An estimated 60,000 people is set to attend. /background.

FDA: Front Desk Associate, later turned Asshat.
    AH: Asshat, another front desk associate.
    Me:

FDA: Anyone work in a downtown Chicago hotel? Preferrably near <location>... I'm looking to stay May 22, a Saturday. So far I've found that most the places I'm calling are sold out. HEELLLPPPP...

AH: There is nothing available because it's the weekend of the National Restaurant Association Hotel/Motel Show. 54,000 expected according to their CVB.

Me: (aside, I said nothing useful other than agreeing that yes, that convention is going on)

AH: Go to <website with the convention details> Find the convention and call one of the host hotels and book under their block of rooms. Someone has rooms left that are on hold for the convention. It's large enough that no one will be checking rooming lists. And the convention rate will be less than any of the others out there

Me: That's entirely not fair though. Would you knowingly allow something at your own property?

AH: There's no way to tell. My reservations manager does it all the time when he goes to Vegas

FDA; @AH, Haha I am totally going to try that. No one would tell me what the convention was... hmm

Me:

*sighs softly* And people wonder why Front Desk Associates are losing faith in humanity.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

My gods...thats just wrong.

Comment

I know! I read that and so wanted to chew them out for it. But I don't want to be banned....

so I bitch about it here.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Wow. That's all sorts of low! Asshattery taken to new levels, what fun!!

>.>

Buh. People suck. A lot.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          I know! I read that and so wanted to chew them out for it. But I don't want to be banned....

so I bitch about it here.
          What a shame that you would be banned for standing up for ethics!
          Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Hm... If you really were irritated over it, you could take some time to let the convention know that people are abusing their reservation block, and have them talk to the hotels...

Who knows, you might get the guy who plans to lie to get his reservation booted at a point too late to possibly get anywhere nearby.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I know one event that I go to (sadly can't go this year, can't get those days off ) is Republic of Texas Rally in June. What they have been doing the past two years is when you go to their website they have a page listing all the hotels they have deals with. When you register you pick ( i think it was 5) hotels listing what you need and for which days. They would then email you back with the first choice (starting from the first) that has space available. You then verify you want it by calling the hotel to confirm. This has cut down significantly the problems they used to have with people taking rooms reserved for the event.

I am surprised an event that big doesn't have something similar in place to cut out fraud. Not to mention to free up rooms of people who cancel to people that need them.
              I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                Hm... If you really were irritated over it, you could take some time to let the convention know that people are abusing their reservation block, and have them talk to the hotels...

Who knows, you might get the guy who plans to lie to get his reservation booted at a point too late to possibly get anywhere nearby.

^-.-^
                I mentioned that. Hopefully someone else that's just as ethical as myself will talk to them too. But alas, people are assholes.

Comment

Working...
                X