X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People at library who can't read

It's a shame.

Went to library to return books today. There's a kid at the book drop, hollering to his mom, "mooooom the book drop is full". I ask him, "Hey, have you tried these automatic new book drops right around the corner?"

He says no. I've never tried it either, but hey.

So the LCD screen says "Barcode down, spine to the right" and it shows an automated flash picture of how to situate the book.

By now, the mom has come up and is trying to scan the book into the return, face up and spine to the left. Her head is less than 4 inches from the LCD screen.

I lay my book down, face down, spine to the right, and the first one scans right in.
    She's still struggling with the book.

I tell her, face down, spine to the right. She still can't get it. "Spine! spine to the right" and she's STILL not getting it. I've already got all my books scanned in.

"Here, let me try this." I take the book, face down, spine to the right, lay it flat and SWOOP the book gets sucked into the Book Vortex.

"OOOOH."

I walk away, thinking if you can't fcuking read, why be at the library.....

cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

At my local Chapters, about 50% of the people who come in don't even look at the books. They walk through the store, take the escalator up, walk back through the 2nd floor to go to the starbucks. Even though in a 1 block radius there are 8 other coffees shops, 3 of them also being starbucks.

Personally, I think they just want to be seen going into a bookstore. Pretentious twits.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
      Personally, I think they just want to be seen going into a bookstore. Pretentious twits.
      Your .sig basically says it all, regarding said twits.

Comment

I'd be really interested to know how these automatic bookdrops are set up - wish we had something like that set up at my library........perhaps that would reduce the number of people who dump 30+ items in the bookdrop, hurry inside, and bitch because their stuff wasn't checked in instantly. (Unfortunately this happens a lot - especially when we're swamped with returns and just have one person working in that area)

Comment

Folks just don't bother to read stuff. And it begins rather young, evidently. I have had bonus questions ignored in the past on quizzes that I have given, and later the student would complain that they didn't see it. Same type size, just some extra spaces down on the page.
          Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Yeah, the library I do security at we have a saying "Just because there in the library, doesn't mean they can read" This is a huge pain for us right now as the main floor bathroom is out of order due to mold removal. There are several signs saying where other bathrooms are located but without fail at least 60% of people will ask "where are the other bathrooms?" and also in a few weeks I will have a huge headache as at the end of May we will close on Sunday's which mean signs will have to be put up stating this but without fail people will read said signs and look at me and say "When are you opening today?"

Last summer one couple really annoyed me. Guy walks up to the gate, stands there for a good 30 seconds reading the sign, he then goes and sits down with his girlfriend for a good 15mins and then looks at me and goes

Him:"When are you opening today?"

(Me): "We are closed today, summer hours"

(Him): What do you mean your not opening!, Why didn't you tell us this,, we've been sitting here for 15mins!!!

(Me): Sir, the sign clearly states what our hours are and I saw you read the sign

(Him): You should of still told us your not opening. *storms off with GF*

Comment

This happens all the time in online games like World of Warcraft. The single most applicable answer to the most commonly asked question is "Go where it says to go, do what it says to do to the thing it says to do it to, using the item it provided to you to do so with."

But since the venue they're begging for instructions in is also text based...what good do they expect it to do, if they can't read the instruction text in the first place?

Comment

Once again, I'm so glad I don't play WoW and really don't go out to the library to get books to read. I order my books online and just pay for them.

The stupid library here won't give me a card until I change my license over from TN to NM. It doens't expire until the end of the year though!
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

As someone who works at a library, I can attest to people not reading at a library...

There hasn't been a Friday yet, where I haven't had to tell someone coming up to the door, at closing, that we are closed. They whine and complain about it, and I point at the sign juuuust beside the door (right next to the do not smoke sign, with butts all around...). And the saddest bit is that all the people I tell, they're all locals... we close at 5:30 on Fridays! Its been that way for as long as I've been there, and longer still. I am going home, kthnxbai!

Heh ^^'

Comment

Quoth Difdi View Post
                    This happens all the time in online games like World of Warcraft. The single most applicable answer to the most commonly asked question is "Go where it says to go, do what it says to do to the thing it says to do it to, using the item it provided to you to do so with."
                    My first response is always, "What does the log say?"

More often than not, that results in a lack of any further comment.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                    X