This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth lwb View Post
    Grrrrrr.......I HATE this! (Disclaimer: I teach Math and Computer Information Systems at a two year technical college.) Telling someone they should not do what they want to do because they might not make a huge amount of money? In my CIS classes, I'll tell people, if you don't want to do something with computers, DO SOMETHING ELSE. The most common response? "But I was told I'd make a lot of money doing computers!" If you hate a field, why force yourself to do it, just because "someone" said you'd make money? If everyone did the jobs that "make money" who'd do other things?
    Or their parents won't let them into the Arts because "they're not paying for college for them to not have a good job when they get out."

Makes me sad. But it was much worse pre-80s. I knew girls in my dorm who were sent to college for 1 year in order to find a husband.
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
      Enthusiastic wielding of a sledgehammer?

Seriously, all the walls here need to be town down, rewired, and generally just fixed. But Dad's a territorial packrat embarassed by his hoard. And we're at least living here to the end of the school year, now that Grandma's passed. Ah well. I love my family, I love my family, I love my family....
      *Clutches his Monster Maul* This is bashing pumpkins and tearing down brick walls.

You're supposed to use a hammer, flatbar, and heavy-duty razorknife if ya wanna take down drywall without hurting the wall on the other side. Hammer for initial hole in the wall, knife cuts the drywall, and flatbar to GENTLY pull it off the studs. Then the claw of the hammer to pull out the nails.

I've worked with a lot of people over the years when it came to demoing and I'm always amazed at they mess they leave.

Quoth Exaspera View Post
      Or their parents won't let them into the Arts because "they're not paying for college for them to not have a good job when they get out."
      This is why a friend of mine is currently miserable.
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

...Ah well. I love my family, I love my family, I love my family....
        Can you get a Mason jar large enough to up them with put?
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post

You're supposed to use a hammer, flatbar, and heavy-duty razorknife if ya wanna take down drywall without hurting the wall on the other side. .
          well where is the fun in that?
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Enthusiastic wielding of a sledgehammer?
            Yes. These were the convex side of dents.

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
            You're supposed to use a hammer, flatbar, and heavy-duty razorknife if ya wanna take down drywall without hurting the wall on the other side. Hammer for initial hole in the wall, knife cuts the drywall, and flatbar to GENTLY pull it off the studs. Then the claw of the hammer to pull out the nails.
            It wasn't so much drywall as it was the tile shower enclosure. And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that it wasn't built to anything that resembled code in the least - the former owner didn't seem to believe in it. I recall seeing wire mesh in the refuse.

Comment

Hey, here's a +1 from me. Good for you for going to college! I started my (currently unfinished) career in community college, started taking classes while working full-time. And trust me, even at 4-year unis there are plenty of students (from -all- years) who don't know ENG 001. CS and Engineering students are usually just as atrocious.
              Gun control is hitting your target; recycling is reloading your brass.
              "It's not our fault the Business School makes you buy those crappy Gateways!"
              "The queue is..."

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
                Makes me sad. But it was much worse pre-80s. I knew girls in my dorm who were sent to college for 1 year in order to find a husband.
                That was the fabled MRS degree.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  That was the fabled MRS degree.
                  They grant a lot of those at Be-Why-Woo in Provo
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    They grant a lot of those at Be-Why-Woo in Provo
                    Indeed. I had girls on my floor in the dorms who were there solely for that purpose. Me? Getting married was a nice perk ( ), but I was there primarily to get a proper degree. (In English. Hush.)
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

• Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                      Indeed. I had girls on my floor in the dorms who were there solely for that purpose. Me? Getting married was a nice perk ( ), but I was there primarily to get a proper degree. (In English. Hush.)
                      Depressing ...
                      I come from a line of women with actual degrees, both my paternal grandmother and my mom have college degrees [my grandmother was Mt Holyoke class of 1919, and my mom was Wheaton Coll class of 1948]

They would have ripped me a new one if I treated college as a dating aid.

My mom married english - her rumspringa was college where she met my dad =)
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

• Given the ethnic background your choice of words implies, I'm not surprised you'd have been in trouble had you not taken your education seriously.

Heck, I was a much better student after starting to date my now-husband. And his father's grades went up significantly after getting married. The one doesn't preclude the other, but you'd better not get your priorities mixed up.

Comment

• Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          well where is the fun in that?
                          Generally I only to destroy ONE room to cool off from rage.

Quoth Magpie View Post
                          It wasn't so much drywall as it was the tile shower enclosure. And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that it wasn't built to anything that resembled code in the least - the former owner didn't seem to believe in it. I recall seeing wire mesh in the refuse.
                          That just pisses me off.
                          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Can you get a Mason jar large enough to up them with put?
                            I have formalin. and a space on my counter for display...
                            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

• Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                              That just pisses me off.
                              I could be wrong about the mesh. But would you like to hear about the wiring he did? Or I can share about the way my in-laws' home was constructed. It was the model house, so they put it up very quickly...

Comment

Working...
                              X