Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No! Seriously, I am NOT your professor, dear.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No! Seriously, I am NOT your professor, dear.

Although my last name is an unusual one, I happen to share it with another gentleman in the area. He happens to be a professor at a university. His number is unlisted. Mine is not. We do not share the same first name. Think that matters to his students?

<phone rings>

Me: Hello?

Sobbing Co-ed: Professor Texan, this is Judy. I can't make it to class for the exam tomorrow, <whimper> 'cause something really bad & personal just happened. <sniffle, sob> I just wanted to you to know so I can take the exam later.

Me: I'm sorry, but you have a wrong number. I am not Professor West Texan.

SC: But I HAVE to tell him that I need to be excused tomorrow! <wail>

Me: I'm afraid I can't help you as I do not know Professor West Texan except for the fact that he and I share the same last name and his students keep calling me.

SC: Well, <sniff> can you give me his number, then?

Me: I told you I do not know him, and I do not have his number.

SC
    : But you HAVE to help me!!!!!

Female voice: <in background> What's he saying?

SC: <to the voice> He says he isn't Professor Texan and he won't give me his number.

FV: Gimme that phone. <angrily to me> Look, she needs help. She and her boyfriend just had a big fight and broke up, so she is in no condition to take an exam. She needs to get in touch with Professor Texan.

Me: As I told her, I do not know Professor Texan and I do not have his number.

FV: But you're the only Texan in the book!

Me: How about that? But that still doesn't mean I know him. Now good-bye, and if you call back, I will notify the police.

Seriously, girls. How hard is it to understand that you have a wrong number? I really feel sorry for Professor Texan since that is only one of several such calls I have received from his students. And no, I have no desire to meet him or get his phone number.
    Last edited by South Texan; 05-05-2010, 05:47 AM.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

I hope they fail hardcore.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I know your pain, South Texan.

At one time the phone was in my ex's name that was listed as First Initial Last Name.

As it turned out that combination was the same as a popular radio DJ in the same town.

Got to the point where we had go unlisted because of having the phone ring and I'd pick it up (the male) and hear a woman screaming at me "OMG!!!!!!!!!!!DON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I LOVEYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU LET ME WIN THE CONTEST, I WILL HAVE YOUR BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" after the "Hello?" I'd say after picking up.

Some simply would not accept that it was not the DJ's number. The record was 15 calls after telling them that "Sorry, wrong number" "You're still calling the wrong number" to "F*#$ OFF! IT'S STILL THE WRONG NUMBER!"

Got worse after the phone book came out the second year with that number. Drove me to get it unlisted and nucking futs until it was finally gone when the DJ was fired from the morning show.

B
      Last edited by Bandit; 05-05-2010, 06:01 AM.
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

(grabs phone away from South; sorry, it HAS to be done)
        Me: Let me tell you about Texas Radio and the Big Beat. If you don't stop bothering my fellow forum colleague, I will take a radio and beat you over the head with it. I'll tell you about the headache and loss of blood... (continues ranting and paraphrasing Doors lyrics)

On the other hand, though, the girls might be channeling Night Ranger... "Professor Texan, oh the time has come"
        Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Can't they get the prof's number, at least his office, through the college? Most prof's hand out their number and office hours at the beginning of the semester.
          Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Sounds like these girls need a strong dose of reality. No employer is going to get a flying flip about someone breaking up with their boyfriend/girlfriend. As long as they aren't sick and no one is dead, you show up to work.

If we didn't have to work because we are miserable, I'd be retired.
            Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
              Can't they get the prof's number, at least his office, through the college? Most prof's hand out their number and office hours at the beginning of the semester.
              Back when I was teaching at a University, I NEVER gave out my home number. In fact, I told my students there was never any reason for them to call me at home. Call my office, leave a message. But calling me at home? Uh... NO.

And saying 'I can't take the exam 'cause my boyfriend and I had a fight'... shucks. Sorry to hear it. Well, not really. Put on your big girl panties and take the exam or get the automatic 0. I didn't really care.

Comment

They have his office contact info. Most schools have directories, so they can get both extension and e-mail, and that's assuming that he didn't give them both of those. If they're not capable of using the syllabus then I'm thinking that for the good of the school's reputation they oughtn't graduate.

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
                  Sounds like these girls need a strong dose of reality. No employer is going to get a flying flip about someone breaking up with their boyfriend/girlfriend. As long as they aren't sick and no one is dead, you show up to work.
                  unless it was a violent break up, as in he was violent and she looked like a lifetime movie.

Comment

My number used to be similar to the Traveler's Aid number at Detroit Metro Airport. I don't know how many calls I got from people looking for their children or whatever. I even had one person say, "Are you sure?". Hmm...looks around...No planes...Yup pretty sure.

Oh yeah, it's funny how *YOU* need to do something that thye should be figuring out themselves...

Comment

Bah... I have a number that is -still- listed online as the number to call for an orthopedic doctor that used to be in the area.

His practice is still here... but they haven't had this number in over 2 years.

So I get calls at least 5 times a week asking for this doctor.

It's never the same number twice... and most people understand after I tell them that this is now a residential number with no connection to Dr. T*****'s office. Some people require the explanation of the fact that the Doc's office just hasn't changed their website.

(And, no, there's no other number listed anywhere online... Otherwise I'd be calling them and saying "CHANGE THE NUMBER ON YOUR DAMNED WEBSITE!")
                      hea·then [hee-thuhn] noun
                      1. an unconverted individual that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.
                      2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
                      3. the children of NotSoInnocent.

Comment

Quoth NotSoInnocent View Post
                        (And, no, there's no other number listed anywhere online... Otherwise I'd be calling them and saying "CHANGE THE NUMBER ON YOUR DAMNED WEBSITE!")
                        I think I'd be finding out their physical address and sending them a cease-and-desist letter. Registered. From my lawyer.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                          My number used to be similar to the Traveler's Aid number at Detroit Metro Airport. I don't know how many calls I got from people looking for their children or whatever. I even had one person say, "Are you sure?". Hmm...looks around...No planes...Yup pretty sure.

Oh yeah, it's funny how *YOU* need to do something that thye should be figuring out themselves...
                          When i lived in San Jose, CA, my phone# was 1 number off from the American Airlines number. The ones that called me at 2am and refused to believe me when i said I wasn't AA were probably REALLY pissed when they got to the airport and found out they didn't have a reservation even though they made one by phone with that rude, lying night-time reservations clerk.
                          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Indica View Post
                            Back when I was teaching at a University, I NEVER gave out my home number. In fact, I told my students there was never any reason for them to call me at home. Call my office, leave a message. But calling me at home? Uh... NO.

And saying 'I can't take the exam 'cause my boyfriend and I had a fight'... shucks. Sorry to hear it. Well, not really. Put on your big girl panties and take the exam or get the automatic 0. I didn't really care.
                            I was referring to handing out the office number.

Ditto on the breakup thing. Your personal drama has nothing to do with this class.

EDIT: Back in the 80s I had a number that was one digit off a nearby chicken fast food place. The first time someone called, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and corrected them. If they called right back, I would take their order, "And you want iced tea with that? We have a special on that today, two-for-one!"
                            Last edited by Exaspera; 05-05-2010, 04:55 PM. Reason: to add something
                            Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

*Please* don't do that: the caller deserves it, but the business does not.
                              His practice is still here... but they haven't had this number in over 2 years.
                              When Dad retired in 1999, the hospital bought his practice. It's moved at least once since then, changed doctors at least a couple of times, and probably been sold again at some point, but still has the same phone number. A few years after retiring, Dad started back up. With a new building and phone number, of course. (Oddly, though, with some of the same equipment: though they'd bought it, they apparently wanted new stuff, and so put it in storage and sold it back to him later. Same exam tables, lamps, scale, even the trash cans! But anyway...) The point is, if you call the old number, while you won't get the doctor you were looking for, you will still get one. But if you make an appointment and still don't understand the change, the dentist will be awfully surprised when you show up at what is now his office for a physical.
                              Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X